[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Know nothing about Buddhism but I'd like to learn about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: ht.jpg (211KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
ht.jpg
211KB, 599x600px
Know nothing about Buddhism but I'd like to learn about it. What books should I read? Any charts?
>>
>>8927879
What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula for a proper introduction to the core beliefs from a perspective within the religion.

The Foundations of Buddhism by Rupert Gethin for a more historical overview written by a sympathetic western academic.

Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante G if you're looking to begin a practice.

Or dig straight in the Dhammapada if you want to read directly what the Buddha purportedly said. Alternatively there's a nice anthology from Oxford called Saying of the Buddha translated by Rupert Gethin which has a more varied selection of teachings from the massive Pali Canon.

If you're more interested in, for example, Zen or Tibetan flavours of Buddhism I would reccommend the Rupert Gethin Foundations of Buddhism as a jumping off point as it briefly covers both the core doctrine and some sectarian beliefs.
>>
>>8928248
definitely start with What The Buddha Taught but In the Buddha's Words is also a great beginner book to introduce you to Buddhism. Might want to read both

when interested in Zen I will also recommend reading the Daodejing since Chan/Zen has been influenced by it after all and then you might want to follow that up with Transmission of Light by Zen Master Keizan
>>
>>8927879
read Imperial-way Zen
>>
>>8928260
oh and if you're interested in delving into the actual suttas http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ will be your best friend

but I'd recommend What The Buddha Taught above all else
>>
>>8928268
sorry I meant Zen at War
>>
>>8928260
>but In the Buddha's Words is also a great beginner book to introduce you to Buddhism
Yep, another great anthology comparable to Gethin's Sayings of the Buddha but translated by a very well respected monk, not a western academic. A minor point because both are very good, modern translations but In the Buddha's Words is often recommended by people within Buddhism because it is translated by a monk who is supposedly more suitable from brining out religious, doctrinal subtleties than an academic.

Either (or both) are entirely serviceable beginner anthologies but I'd probably hold off from reading them until you've got an introductory text under your belt. You want to have a grasp on the basics before tackling the style and subtlety of the actual Nikayas.
>>
File: 1468957557530.png (888KB, 3529x3137px) Image search: [Google]
1468957557530.png
888KB, 3529x3137px
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.