[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been reading Tennyson's Ulysses a few times, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: alfred-lord-tennyson-11-638.jpg (83KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
alfred-lord-tennyson-11-638.jpg
83KB, 638x479px
I've been reading Tennyson's Ulysses a few times, and have memorized the first sentence, but I'm still puzzled over a small part of the grammar in that first sentence:

IT little profits that an idle king,
By this still hearth, among these barren crags,
Match’d with an aged wife, I mete and dole
Unequal laws unto a savage race,
That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me.

Shouldn't it be something like "It little profits that an idle king... should mete and dole"? How does he get the "I" in "I mete and dole"? Is it grammatically correct, or is he just taking a little poetic liberty here?
>>
please respond
>>
tl;dr
>>
>>8926442
Seems like poetic license to me.
>>
>>8926442
I think five minutes with Google could have answered this for you. But here goes...

Some of the grammar that would have made it clearer is left implied for the sake of metre. Remember that the sound of it is part of the sense. How's about this...

It little profits that - as an idle king / by this still hearth, among these barren crags, / match'd with an aged wife - I mete and dole / unequal laws unto a savage race.

You could jump from "little profits that" to "I mete and dole". In answer to your particular question:

>Shouldn't it be something like "It little profits that an idle king... should mete and dole"?

This is the point at which Ulysses moves from theorizing the value of such idle ruling to identifying with it personally, right? The vocalizing of the idleness and it's lack of value is part of what spurs on the rest of the monologue. In realizing his supposedly miserable lot, he is driven to journey again.
>>
There is nothing wrong with it.

What is spooking you is actually the first line.
You'd be right if it read "It little profits an idle king" but that isn't what he wrote.

What you are pulling out is though thematic to the poem, who is "I" here, who is the king, who is Ulysses? "I am become a name".
>>
>>8926681
>You'd be right if it read "It little profits an idle king" but that isn't what he wrote.
No, it's the other way around. What you wrote is fine, but that's not what he right.
>>
>>8926690
*not what he wrote
>>
>>8926668
>This is the point at which Ulysses moves from theorizing the value of such idle ruling to identifying with it personally, right?
Reminds me of when Sartre went from 'if God doesn't exist' to 'God doesn't exist' desu
>>
>>8926698
Well alright but there is a movement there that is deliberate. The whole poem is about how the narrator decides he is really the Ulysses of legend, just older, and not a retired idle king. Its not an accident.
>>
>>8926668

Thanks for the responses, guys. I understand what the poem is about, I was just confused about the grammar of the lines. But I see what you mean about it just being left out for the sake of metre.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.