[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey bros, just finished a year at community college. I wanna

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 13-College-Graduation-Students.jpg (635KB, 1000x710px) Image search: [Google]
13-College-Graduation-Students.jpg
635KB, 1000x710px
Hey bros, just finished a year at community college. I wanna know if going to a big university to get an English degree is worth it. What can a university give me if I want to be a writer? Any older guys willing to share some wisdom? I don't wanna fall for the meme

>19
>thinkin bout A&M
>it's a family school
>>
>>8924495
college is a meme, they'll try to brainwash you into being a liberal
>>
>>8924502
I am very firm in my beliefs. I think it's too late for them to be able to do that to me.

or am I underestimating the effect of being in that bubble?
>>
>>8924513
they will try to destroy your mind by insisting that women and nonwhites should have the same rights as you and me. Don't even bother.
>>
>>8924495
>What can a university give me if I want to be a writer?

Jack, and shit, and shit left town.

I majored in English wanting to be a writer, turns out that's not what English degrees are actually for. What they're for is basically academic circle jerking and perhaps becoming an English professor yourself.

And before you go 'Oh I'll major in CREATIVE WRITING then!!!' I advise against it. Take classes if you want, but don't expect them to teach you anything beyond how to write fucking awful 8 page, safe and unthreatening slice-of-life things that appeal to people who think they're too good for 'genre fiction' but probably are less well-read than /lit/shitposters who only read books so they can meme about them.

If you want to be a writer, start writing RIGHT NOW. Diplomas are for engineers who need proof they aren't going to build a self-detonating bridge. The thing that will make you a 'writer' is writing things and submitting them, not jerking off for 4 years and getting a piece of paper that says '#1 Nietzsche Learner Guy'
>>
>>8924519
Fuck off /pol/
>>
>>8924502
>>8924519
Jesus Christ /pol/ take it down a notch.

>>8924495
Depending on the college you go to, it can be a wonderful experience to learn literary theory and methods. Some of my greatest joys and memories have been discussions with my professors (one of which I see every month for tea and conversation).

You get out of college what you put into it. If you wait around for someone to "give" you something, then you are making your first mistake.

I can honestly say my highest literary inferences occurred in college. I probably could not have found this kind of environment outside this setting. There something special about being surrounded by those interested in the same field of study as you.

And don't let the NEETS and /pol/ kids discourage you. They probably never got accepted to an University; they have no idea how rewarding the University environment can be to those studying literature.
>>
>>8924495
If you're really set on a career, study accounting, engineering or occupational health and safety.

unless you come from a middle upper class household, which I'm guessing you don't as you went to community college, getting a degree in the liberal arts is equivalent to shooting your self in the foot.

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/11/hipsters_on_food_stamps.html

unless you are a woman, in which case go ahead and study lit. you'll be able to fall back on a man as long as you get in before you're thirty.

If you're really set on writing be a NEET
>>
>>8924563
I'm nothing like the people in those articles. I love also love history so I'm thinking law school. Also I'm a minority
>>
>>8924600
>I'm thinking law school
Not sure if you can even fathom the work load that comes with law school.

I don't even think you can fathom how much work your 3rd and 4th year of your B.A. is going to be. Especially when you finally need to take your upper division courses.

Just wait till you graduate with your B.A., you may feel burned out after that. It's more work than you think. Community colleges don't prepare you the way you think they do for those last 2 years.
>>
>>8924600
>I'm nothing like the people in those articles.
If you're reading it it's for you
>>
>>8924495
Get into an MFA program. Write forever on everything and in all genres, and then do it again. And again. Join endless circles and fervently discuss writing until you're pretty sure you could describe it to a baby and have it come out with War and Peace the next day. Make friends and connections and publish in university journals, enter various contests, win a few awards, and use them to try and establish a "career." Meanwhile, rack up absurd debt that you will be unable to pay back because you aren't making any money at writing, and you have to work a day-job or live with your parents (usually both). Spend a decade watching people you know sort of make it, like a little, and then disappear from your life because you can't advance their career. Hang out with the remaining friends and spend most of your time complaining cattily about that friend and wish desperately for their complete and miserable failure. Watch it happen. Ruefully laugh, and welcome them back. Keep writing. Realize in your late thirties that it's basically like professional sports, and you're really no better than the high-school quarterback who was so sure they'd go pro, and who spends all their time reliving their glory days at the shitty bar in your hometown. Realize that the only meaning you have at all in your life is the other people you shared your thoughts with and an unknown amount of readers who you keep hoping exist and value you, but will probably never form a fan club because we don't really even have that culture anymore, and who's even reading books? Fuck, the guy who wrote the short story that "Arrival" is based on gives away his stuff as free .pdfs, so what are we even doing? Learn to just give up, but like in a good way, and realize that having friends and trying to write stuff is actually the point in the first place, and everyone is both a failure and a success depending on the observer, and you're far better off being poor and free, and everything is bullshit but the people.

Don't do A&M, though; that's a party school.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.