[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good books on consumerism? Everything I buy something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: dogger.jpg (223KB, 1058x1058px) Image search: [Google]
dogger.jpg
223KB, 1058x1058px
What are some good books on consumerism?

Everything I buy something that's supposed to make me happier I feel worse.
>>
>>8923852
Less than Zero and American Psycho,from Easton Ellis.
>>
I'm not sure how you could be asking for a book like this, be aware of your disappointment, and still need a book to explain it to you?
>>
>>8923859
I'm wondering where to go from here.

Not much remains without consumerism.
>>
File: jb.jpg (176KB, 728x546px)
jb.jpg
176KB, 728x546px
>>8923852
Something like this?
>>
>>8923880

This really seems like a crock of shit. It is possible that some people will judge so heavily based on these 'manipulated signs', but most people who aren't interested in sign manipulation will find tons of other people in society who are interested in them as people. I have found such people- and, yes, I understand that the Baudrillard-ist will say that I simply can't see how their affection is superficial and based on some kind of consumerism, but there is, obviously, no way to debunk such a thing.

I somehow doubt that Baudrillard thought the same about all of his choices and his friends, but, of course, he was too intelligent to be tricked as us lowly plebeians. There is a fundamental dissonance here between what must have been his actual life (he would have to have identified something wrong with consumerism based on some personal experience he had with something non-consumeristic) and how he conceives of others' lives (i.e. as merely capitalist emptiness).
>>
File: das kapital.jpg (25KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
das kapital.jpg
25KB, 384x384px
>>8923852
>>
>>8923852
The Theory of the Leisure Class - Thorstein Veblen
>>
File: 1089234.png (32KB, 355x563px) Image search: [Google]
1089234.png
32KB, 355x563px
>>8923922
In some sense I agree, but he was a pretty alienated guy himself. In his criticism he really is I think trying to erase that dissonance you mean. In one of his interviews he actually says that there is a danger of destabilizing yourself psychically if you do this too much. I can kind of understand that. He's definitely part of an era, and the Marx is strong with him during his early work.

I had a feeling he would get shit on. Not saying that's wrong or anything. But what Baudrillard was up to in System of Objects and The Consumer Society is really interesting. He's looking at semiotics as well as economics: what fantasy is being presented by a mod kitchen? How do these objects relate to each other in ways that come to be more than the sum of their parts? He's really not as an uncharitable to "the masses" as people seem to think he is. Rather, he's trying to understand what the system of objects itself is trying to sell back to them, because production and consumption are ultimately two parts of the same process, and they meet in the middle as fantasy. I find him super-interesting to read but he's not everyone's cup of tea.
>>
File: Bourdieu-Redux-Illustrated_lo.jpg (64KB, 623x510px) Image search: [Google]
Bourdieu-Redux-Illustrated_lo.jpg
64KB, 623x510px
>>8923852
Bordieu is good too.
>>
>>8923852

no logo
>>
>>8923852
the Bible
>>
My diary, desu
>>
File: 1481064309538.png (232KB, 425x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481064309538.png
232KB, 425x400px
>>8923967
This guy gets it.
>>
choose wisely anon, life after the barrel will be full of ideologies and they're mostly all bad. becoming disaffected with consumerism is the first step that leads to philosophy and the night is dark and full of memes

>tfw you wish you had never left the barrel to begin with but it's too late now
>>
>>8924071
Honestly I sort of feel this. But fuck it you're one of us now OP
>>
>>8924249
>>8924071
I constantly second-guess even the smallest decisions.

It's just not worth it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.