[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Socrates: Nor can we reasonably say, Cratylus, that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: catwot.jpg (5KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
catwot.jpg
5KB, 276x183px
>"Socrates: Nor can we reasonably say, Cratylus, that there is knowledge at all, if everything is in a state of transition and there is nothing abiding; for knowledge too cannot continue to be knowledge unless continuing always to abide and exist. But if the very nature of knowledge changes, at the time when the change occurs there will be no knowledge; and if the transition is always going on, there will always be no knowledge, and, according to this view there will be no one to know and nothing to be known: but if that which knows and that which is known exists ever, and the beautiful and the good and every other thing also exist, then I do not think that they can resemble a process of flux"

Well, which is it /lit/?
>>
stupid catposter
>>
>>8921770
not an answer
>>
>>8921773
Your questions is kind of vague, to be honest, desu.
>>
>>8921865
Are all things in motion/flux in which case there is no existence of knowledge or are things not in flux and there is in fact an existence of knowledge?
>>
No knowledge can be acquired, Socrates was correct that he knows nothing, if one knows then they would be God. Humans or any other thing residing within the Universe has no capable way of knowing; the only thing to be "known" is that of human nature, which is because we created it ourselves, we are our own "Gods" ruling the domain of humanity; like an animal trying to understand our language or what we have on a global scale is like scientists trying to gain knowledge of the Universe, we just cannot know.
>>
>>8921742
>>8921918

Alogopeos : but brother is all truly in flux if such transitions remain stubbornly unending?
Socrates : what drivel is?
Alogopeos : true flux in the state of the cosmos would result in something remaining permanent amidst the tides of change, for death to differentiate itself, death itself must die.
Socrates : by Zeus, you're on to something Alogopeos!
>>
>>8921742
Let me guess, this was one of those dialogues which Plato wasn't present for and made bullshit up as he wrote it, isn't it?

Fuck Plato and fuck sophists.
>>
>>8921948
Fuck people who can't just have some fun
>>
File: who's jewing who.jpg (277KB, 616x693px) Image search: [Google]
who's jewing who.jpg
277KB, 616x693px
>>8921948
>Fuck Plato
>fuck sophists
>>
>>8921970
>le you cant trust your senses therefore the universe operates on a bunch of mumbo jumbo free for all make-it-up-as-you-go bullshit founded on contemporary ideas meme

Or you could be a big boy and critically think. I will respect no """""""intellectual""""" who chooses the former.
>>
>>8921908

What are the defined grounds for equaling knowledge?
>>
>>8921908
>Are all things in motion/flux in which case there is no existence of knowledge or are things not in flux and there is in fact an existence of knowledge?
I think the point is slightly subtler than that. Because plainly there are things in flux, but then why do there seem to be these somehow somewhat stable intelligible beings? For example, all cows are in flux and suffer becoming, but how is it that all cows are stable beings of the sort we call "cow" which is intelligible as distinct from, say, "horse" or "water"? The choice isn't between two extremes, neither of which seems equally reasonable, but of one extreme (all is in flux) and of one alternative that combines what we would call the other extreme (there are beings in flux, but also beings not in flux).

Part of the trick of the Cratylus is the constant joke being played at the expense of Heraclitus or a certain understanding of him; if all were in flux, then even the attempt to account for everything being in flux would perish and become unintelligible, it also being in flux.
>>
>>8921970
>plato
>not a sophist
lol
>>
>>8922383
>>8923851
But sophists are cool and Plato is a gay philosopher cuck
>>
>>8923827
Hmmm, thanks anon. This gives me something to ponder. Cratylus was my first real introduction to Plato and Sacrates.

I'm planning on reading Symposium next, but maybe I'll go back and re-read Cratylus for good measure. I'm sure there was plenty I missed my first read through.
>>
File: 1481559459275.jpg (51KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1481559459275.jpg
51KB, 680x680px
Knowledge is stored in the brain though, and we have detailed graphs and theories about how the brain stores and brings out information.
>>
>>8925708
But is that really "knowledge?"

Is that the natural word for that experience or exercise or have we just fit the word knowledge to that meaning or interpretation that includes what you described as knowledge.
>>
>>8925586
Cratylus is super hard, but seems to repay some amount of reflection. Haven't made sense of this yet, but one scholar, Robert Brumbaugh, has pointed out that the order of the etymologies by kinds (gods, elements, virtues, etc.) follows the order of the presentation in the Timaeus, which suggests that there is *some* kind of definite plan through the work, but what that is is pretty obscure.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.