[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's sum good Tolkien type shit that isn't Tolkien?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: lYKzhE5.jpg (209KB, 1600x1172px) Image search: [Google]
lYKzhE5.jpg
209KB, 1600x1172px
What's sum good Tolkien type shit that isn't Tolkien? I love the idea of making new romantic myths that can speak to a modern generation, but I feel like most newer Tolkien kinda stuff has just become "world building" wank material for the author to show off his undergrad understanding of Medieval cultures. Am I just too cynical for this shit now?
>>
File: flori2a.jpg (80KB, 536x283px) Image search: [Google]
flori2a.jpg
80KB, 536x283px
tolkien-type shit

that isn't tolkien

do you mean fantasy? try Fritz Liebers' books about Fahfrd and the Grey Mouser (if they ever met Aragorn, they'd steal his horse), or Poul Anderson's "The Broken Sword".

or:

"And then there was Twisk, who usually appeared as an orange-haired maiden wearing a gown of gray gauze. One day while wading in the shallows of Tilhilvelly Pond, she was surprised by the troll Mangeon. He seized her about the waist, carried her to the bank, ripped away the gray gauze gown and prepared to make an erotic junction. At the sight of his priapic instrument, which was grotesquely large and covered with warts, Twisk became frantic with fear. By dint of jerks, twists and contortions she foiled the best efforts of the sweating Mangeon. But her strength waned and Mangeon's weight began to grow oppressive. She tried to protect herself with magic, but in her excitement she could remember only a spell used to relieve dropsy in farm animals, which, lacking better, she uttered, and it proved efficacious. Mangeon's massive organ shriveled to the size of a small acorn and became lost in the folds of his great gray belly.

Mangeon uttered a scream of dismay, but Twisk showed no remorse. Mangeon cried out in fury: "Vixen, you have done me a double mischief, and you shall do appropriate penance."

He took her to a road which skirted the forest. At a crossroads he fashioned a kind of pillory and affixed her to this construction. Over her head he posted a sign: DO WHAT YOU WILL WITH ME and stood back. "Here you stay until three passersby, be they dolts, lickpennies or great earls, have their way with you, and that is the spell I invoke upon you, so that in the future you may choose to be more accommodating to those who accost you beside Tilhilvelly Pond."

- Jack Vance, "Lyonesse"
>>
>>8919620

Don't read past God Emperor. GE is the natural conclusion for the series.

After that, it's LITERALLY space Jews. Yes, Jews in space.
>>
File: shot00011.jpg (134KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
shot00011.jpg
134KB, 1280x544px
>>8920329
>>
>>8919620
"The well at the world's end". William Morris.
This is where Tolkien got it from ("Gondolf", "Silverfax" and all).
>>
Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun
>>
>>8919620

You should try Mary Stewart's King Arthur books. She takes a similar approach of taking what are a few scraps of semi-mythical folklore and trying to build entire novels out of them.

She includes the myths she draws from in the back too, it's great for learning Arthruriana
>>
>>8920219
Liebers' stories are shit.
Really bad. All the stories are the same one. All of them are "OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, now push this button hooray we're saved.
Save yourself, read something else.
>>
>>8921859
He got "them" from the Eddas, just like Poul Anderson did for The Broken Sword, you mook.
>>
>>8919620
stop being a child
man up and pick real mythology
>>
>>8923000
You want a book with no story? Because this is how you get a book with no story.
>>
>>8919620
how about urban fantasy
>>
>>8919620

Raymond E. Feist.

You idiot.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.