[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do writers choose a setting? Why do fantasy writers choose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: 1482798953831.png (48KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1482798953831.png
48KB, 657x527px
How do writers choose a setting? Why do fantasy writers choose their setting and scifi their's. Why cyberpunk?

How do you pick a genre? Wtf is a story? How do I write one?
>>
>>8918313
The answer is easy, my friend, training, training and more training.
>>
>>8918313
would like to hear a good reason for a particular genre
>>
there's nothing particularly mystical about genre. its genre only means that it seems likely to appeal to a certain demographic. how this affects your decision-making all depends on your preferences and priorities.
>>
>>8918313
You write about what you enjoy. Many people grew up reading scifi/fantasy, and have a broad understanding of the genre. Consequently, many writers feel writing for these genres is easy. Subsequently, TOR is currently only accepting submissions from a non-Eurocentric perspective and setting.

In short: laziness.

Genre fiction is boring.
>>
>>8918313
Some writers may simply enjoy a particular setting for their story because it's simple, necessary, or befitting. An author could choose a small town in Mississippi early in the year of 2005 simply because the arrival of Katrina sets a growing tension underlying the story. Or, an author may have chosen the setting for a more specific and metaphorical purpose. To continue the previous example, another author may choose this setting because the arrival of Katrina is symbolic of the turmoil or climax of the plot.
When delving into sci-fi, the setting, again starting with the simpler of ideas, may be an intelligent guess at what an alternate timeline may be like had certain events happened differently, as in Fallout or a lot of cyber punk. Or you may have a futuristic story which follows the captain of a space vessel piloting into uncharted sectors of the Andromeda Galaxy. This whole setting could be a metaphor for the captain himself, as he ventures into the outer rim of his psyche as he discovers an identity altering revelation is the unknown spans of distance space.

Setting can derive from multiple things. But really they point is to make sure that there is a level of necessity behind where the story takes place, and simply because the story needs a vessel. In that case, pull a Mad Max and make sure you write fantastic characters.

Maybe that will help answer what you're asking?
>>
>>8918313
If you have to ask this question you're better off not writing at all, since you've obviously not interested in anything.
>>
>>8918313
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.