[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Virtue is sufficient for happiness -Stoicism >Practice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (27KB, 384x383px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 384x383px
>Virtue is sufficient for happiness
-Stoicism

>Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now.
Jack Kerouac

Why aren't you a better person /lit/
>>
I'm trying to be a nicer person to everyone around me, i'm waiting for the good days now
>>
File: 1452373556330.jpg (133KB, 717x508px) Image search: [Google]
1452373556330.jpg
133KB, 717x508px
"Happiness is the absence of the striving for happiness."
>>
happiness is a spook
>>
>>8917415

No it isn't.
>>
Being nice is for beta males
>>
Subjectivity of virtue is a fucking meme. By that logic bad people doing nad things cannot be judged if they believe they did right. Hitler would be vindicated under Kerouac's logic, as would Mao and likely a great many other tyrants.
>>
I'll never be happy because I'm autistic and no one likes me
>>
>>8917415
Huh? Happiness would be the opposite of a spook.
>>
>>8917440
A+ post.

There is no ultimate objective good, nor is than ultimate objective evil.

>>8917033
As far as happiness and all that bullshit goes, you must be willing to suffer greatly to be able to find great happiness. Contentment is a romantic vision of complacency that can only be formed in a safe void. Happiness is meant to be a temporary lure to get you to reproduce. When you fuck, happy chemicals surge into your brain. When you are full, happy chemicals surge into your brain. When you're neither of those things, you feel sad. Life wants you to grow and reproduce and it makes you briefly happy as a reward when you succeed those things.

If all you knew was joy, you would know nothing of joy. If all you knew was suffering, you would know nothing of it, because suffering would be your life. When you struggle for a goal, and if you don't fold, then when that goal is achieved it will be all the sweeter. You must have both pain and joy in equal amounts.

Within reason. You shouldn't try to fucking jump off every cliff you see in hopes that your immense pain and/or death will make you happy.
>>
>>8917429
that's right. kindness is off putting for females.
>>
>>8918591
Why are they so into helping fugees, then? And everything superficially "good"?
>>
Happiness is irrelevant. You are only unhappy or happy if you think about it. it's best to be busy and to keep real life communication to a minimum in order to avoid needless considerations of fluctuating emotional states.
>>
happiness is transitory by nature
>>
>>8917440
>Hitler would be vindicated under Kerouac's logic, as would Mao and likely a great many other tyrants.
wtf? how'd you get that from

>Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now.
>>
>>8918625
kindness in males, baka
>>
>>8917033
>Being nice is for beta males

Virtue in the Roman sense does not have a lot to do with "being nice" as children are taught by Disney movies and the like.

Virtue doesn't get more alpha than how the Romans interpreted it, especially the Stoic interpretation. These people were one of the most determined, unbreakable people to have walked the earth, drawing inspiration from both Athenian theory and Spartan practicality, culminating in a harsh but ultimately extremely powerful and rewarding way of living that the Romans perfected.
>>
>>8917033

>wanting to be in heaven
>>
File: its_a_miserable_life.png (218KB, 599x426px) Image search: [Google]
its_a_miserable_life.png
218KB, 599x426px
>>8917045
>I'm waiting for the good days now

T-they're coming right anon?
>>
>>8917429
Constant niceness is beta. Alpha and Gammas can be nice, but have a backbone to stand up for themselves and when they see bullshit
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.