[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Doesn't Lucretius mean "...will equally consist of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0863.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
IMG_0863.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Doesn't Lucretius mean "...will equally consist of infinite *halves* (rather than parts)?

I don't think I agree with the logic here, arguing that there is a smallest something. Thoughts?
>>
File: a1.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px)
a1.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
hopefully this looks better
>>
>>8915322
>>8915333
It's more psychological than philosophical, if you can read this post without cringing. Humans think in terms of measuring things, weighing them, separating them and classifying them. To measure things, we need a standard, a goalpost. If everything is infinitely divisible (Lucretius argues) big and small are entirely relative: there will be no set standard by which we can say, this is big, and this is small. Also, we would have to choose a completely random unit of measurement, and yet that standard unit would itself be impossible to define. This is why he argues that there must be an absolute smallest thing. it just makes things easier for his brain.
>>
>>8915350
I understand what you're saying, but then he is not to be taken literally?
>>
just 1 shamefree bump
>>
>>8915365
I don't even know what this is from DESU. If it's from Plato, probably not, it's just one argument amongst others meant to challenge the mind of the reader and bring them to enlightened skepticism or whatever the fuck Plato's endgame was.
>>
>>8915392
its from the nature of things, lucretius

http://www.loebclassics.com/view/lucretius-de_rerum_natura/1924/pb_LCL181.51.xml?readMode=recto
>>
>>8915395
Ah, Lucretius. He was probably being literal then. My analysis was from my own POV, i.e. his argument is really made from the limitations of the human mind as opposed to rigorous logic, whatever the fuck logic is.
>>
>>8915322
Look up Zeno's paradoxes/Achilles and the tortoise. People are still fighting over this shit to do this day. Lucretius is an Epicurean materialist rejecting the idea that infinity suggests something above matter.
>>
>>8915322
I'm not sure I've got it, but looking at it, I've the following reflections. A part by definition is a part *of* some whole. If there were infinite parts of things, then on the one hand you can have no account of nature, since the parts are unintelligible without being analyzable into more basic simples, because an account of a part explains somehow what the part's function is within a whole, which seems somehow impossible if all of nature is reducible to parts instead of basic smallest intelligibles.

I'm not sure I'm persuaded of it, but this seems like a very good argument to take slowly and keep working out.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.