[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /lit/ never discuss T.S. Eliot, who is the most influential

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: eliot_main_lg.jpg (51KB, 524x600px) Image search: [Google]
eliot_main_lg.jpg
51KB, 524x600px
Why does /lit/ never discuss T.S. Eliot, who is the most influential poet of the 20th century
>>
>>8913587
We discuss him more than most poets.

And there's always that one autist who calls you an undergrad when you make an objective statement about what the themes of the Waste Land and then ignores your post asking him to tell everyone what he thinks the poem is actually about, because I know you're reading this asshole and you're a pseud fag and you need to leave this board
>>
Where do I start with Eliot?
>>
>>8913587
Prufrock is amazing but Wasteland is overrated.
>>
>>8913598
haha fuck you undergrad bitch
>>
>>8913587

That's not how you spell YEATS.
>>
>>8913598
>who is the most influential poet of the 20th century

You're just screaming "I've never personally explored poetry myself, but instead simply read a sliver-sized piece of criticism on 20th century poetry". Eliot was only 'influential' to the naughty dreams of some clergy and academics. Nearly any contemporary poet will undeniably say that Stevens or Crane or even fucking Auden is more important to contemporary poetry than Eliot.
>>
>>8913630
Start with Prufrock

Read "Traditon and the Individual Talent" before you attempt the Waste Land
>>
>>8913705
*tradition
>>
>>8913681
I'd argue that Eliot's influence far outstrips anyone else's when you consider his influence outside poetry, particularly the apocalyptic aesthetics of the Waste Land
>>
>>8913717
That and the sizable European war less than a decade before The Waste Land was published.
>>
>>8913681
>Nearly any contemporary poet will undeniably say that Stevens or Crane or even fucking Auden is more important to contemporary poetry than Eliot.

Which contemporary poets are you basing this assertion off?
>>
>>8913677
Yeats himself said Eliot was the most influential poet of his time.
>>
>>8913598
Wow, look at this pissy princess.
>>
>>8913587
Because /lit/ is full of retards
>>
>>8913681
>Nearly any contemporary poet will undeniably say that Stevens or Crane or even fucking Auden is more important to contemporary poetry than Eliot.
Guess who greatly influenced those poets? TS Eliot.
>>
>>8913587
I really want to get into Eliot but I haven't read and studied the entire canon to prepare.
Anyone else have this feel?
>>
>>8913587
Because William Carlos Williams is ten times better.
>>
>>8914751
Get an annotated version and youll be fine
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.