[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /lit/, I was wondering if it's okay to skip the french

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (41KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 300x400px
Hi /lit/, I was wondering if it's okay to skip the french in War and Peace?
I have the P&V translation and the french translations are footnotes; I'd really only want to bother with them if I knew they were necessary.
>>
>>8912286
the footnotes are part of the book. not only you get to see the nuances in the expressions of the qts in the peace periods, but you also get to understand the whole point of why Prince Andrei goes to war for the 30th time.

tl;dr dont be a normie
>>
you want to skip lines of dialogue
>>
>not reading french
>>
like i could understand if they were left untranslated and you were like 'im not gonna sit here with google translate open'.

but they're translated at the bottom of the page

why on earth skip them
>>
>>8912300
it's tedious
>>
>>8912301
you'll get used to it pretty soon

fuck why are people so lazy
>>
>>8912301
to look at the bottom of a page
>>
>>8912301
you're ok with reading a 1k+ page book, but looking at the bottom of the page is just too much for you?
>>
It doesn't count as reading the book if you skip any part of it. Kys if you're too lazy to read the footnotes, which is 1% of the book, and is dialogue.

You might as well quit now if you don't want to read it. You're going to give up at some point anyway.
>>
You can not skip the French because they are real lines of dialogue that are necessary to understand the book. They aren't just throwaway French phrases. It really is like skipped lines in the book.

I recommend a Maude translation with in-line French translation. Autists will complain that it's not what Tolstoy intended, but it's a helpful crutch and the original Maude translation had in-line translated French, and they were Tolstoy's favored translators, so even they thought it was a fair compromise to make. One of the main complaints against Tolstoy's footnotes is that they make the book less approachable. It's a great book and short of that, very approachable, so I highly recommend using a small crutch to get through it.

Some Maude translations have restored footnotes like the P&V so watch out (OWC does for instance).
>>
>>8912528
If you want to stick with P&V, know that the French decreases as the book progresses. So at the beginning there's a shit ton, but later on there's little to none.

Either stick it out or buy a Maudes translation for $10.
>>
>>8912528
I just finished the Maude translation that had them translate most of the French, and I completely agree with this. I think it's enough to know that the French used in the book serves a purpose, and what that purpose is, without the need to frustrate yourself by reading lengthy and small footnotes at the bottom.
>>
>>8912286
i mean this very sincerely
if this is your mindset, that looking at the bottom of the page is too bothersome, you should kill yourself

life is too tough for you, and it will only get worse. just buy a gun and end it
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.