[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, I don't know if this is the best place to discuss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: shiba inu.jpg (105KB, 648x518px) Image search: [Google]
shiba inu.jpg
105KB, 648x518px
Hey /lit/, I don't know if this is the best place to discuss this, but I've read elsewhere that Japanese humor (and to some extent storytelling) rarely makes use of sarcasm and irony unlike British, American, and some other European styles. Instead, they rely more on buffoonery in humor and little use of irony in their language. I just wanted to know if this may be more of a stereotype than general fact. What is your take on this? Are there actually more exceptions to this trend then assumed?
>>
>>8911706
I speak japanese.

That's bullshit, OP.
>>
I think it's true that they use it much less in popular settings but using irony or sarcasm to ridicule their own culture is not uncommon among writers and other intellectuals.
>>
>>8911753
This

>>8911706
I've met people who think chinese opera is all slapstick and some who think it's only long winded wailing. Sometime's the long winded wailing is very sarcastic as a meta-commentary on wailing operas and sometimes the slapstick is very sincere as a way of making something shallow deep.
>>
>>8911772
>>8911753
I know they use it at least sometimes(and it's likely a more recent development), but I read it was much less common. Something to do with how the language is set up.That may be why I can't really get into most Japanese stories let alone humor, unless someone can direct me to multiple examples where it was common place.
>>
>>8913094
The whole practice of nori-tsukkomi is an application of sarcasm to the whole boke-tsukkomi style of humor that is the most common one in japan, as an example.
>>
>>8913361
So basically sarcasm involving the "straight man" and "funny man" farce?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzai
Funny though, I also read that Japanese don't make use of metaphor often.
>>
>Japan
>humour
>>
>>8914135
Nice contribution to the thread, anon. You must be a shining beacon of knowledge.
>>
>>8914139
ill show you a shining beacon *unzips cock*
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.