[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So basically Heidegger and Tolkien are saying the same things.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: martin+heidegger+rundweg.jpg (24KB, 307x230px) Image search: [Google]
martin+heidegger+rundweg.jpg
24KB, 307x230px
So basically Heidegger and Tolkien are saying the same things. Everything Tolkien says about technology in LotR is what Heidegger talks about in B&T and elsewhere. This is kinda sorta interesting, given that they didn't read each other's work but England/Germany/WW2/etc. But they're saying/thinking/feeling the same things.

I also think that there is a similar correspondence going on between Frank Herbert and Jacques Lacan in Dune. Arrakis & the sandworms basically remind Paul Atreides of his own impotency as the subject supposed to know. He can't separate himself from them. He gets fucked up about this because he's a modernist subject but in space no one can hear you bitch and whine.

Dune is both more interesting and less interesting than LotR in this regard because Tolkien wrapped up his book in a trilogy and Herbert could not finish his. You can read LotR psychoanalytically also w/Lacan/Zizek but I like arbitrary divisions because reasons. Paul knows his destiny is to become Sauron and he's afraid of this so he/Herbert basically go pseudo-Oedipus with the stone burner in part 2. Maybe couldn't have ended any other way. Not super-important.

A more recent great myth is Batman, who is a heroic fascist we all love because the Joker doesn't give a fuck and Batman knows the spice must flow. But that's a whole other thing. The philosopher here is Zizek.

Finally: William Gibson + Nick Land.

All of these are mythic tragedies about utopias we simultaneously want/don't want but live out vicariously on screen like old wonky Greeks except about 2500 years later.

I'm the fag who doesn't have a blog. Anyone want to discuss this?
>>
File: a4d222e033ba88dea49ac78c396ea283.jpg (169KB, 750x1064px) Image search: [Google]
a4d222e033ba88dea49ac78c396ea283.jpg
169KB, 750x1064px
also, and potentially worth thinking about: isn't it weird that there were no art critics in ancient greece? everybody goes to the theatre together and gets their faces rocked off by sophocles. but there are no roger eberts or pauline kaels or alex kierkegaards (and yes, i went there: fight me).

that's what fucks us up today, which is a longer story: the victory of criticism over myth. but maybe it's too soon to get into that. deep down i think people want a myth, but we know that myths are scary and dangerous. so we like seeing them blown up on screen or watching the old ones. GRRM is writing a good one but it's going to end in a very dark way.

also ayn rand couldn't separate between being philosopher or novelist and so we got a less satisfying mix-up of both. but it still sold twelve billion copies in burgerland

anyways w/ev. lets talk about myth and mass unconsciousness and cinema & stuff
>>
differences > similarities
>>
File: 1469239356262.jpg (211KB, 600x530px) Image search: [Google]
1469239356262.jpg
211KB, 600x530px
>>8908454
come on, don't be stingy. share your thoughts. i want to get out of this ridiculous prison-hotel of overthinking, not stay in it. why are differences better than similarities?

i actually think to some degree that differences are illusory, but that's my inner mystic-despot speaking. give me an alternative to despotism. tell me about deleuze or guattari or whoever you're referring to. i can't know what you mean unless you're explicit
>>
>>8908520
>i can't know what you mean unless you're explicit
OP
is
a
faggot
>>
>>8908520
tl;dr me me me

also me

and to some degree, me as well

so see pic related. how can we know if we're not deceiving ourselves? by asking weird questions of others who may be like us.

i thirst for enlightenment. i crave wisdom like i crave cheeseburgers and cigarettes. i have crude & base & voracious appetites for enlightenment. show me your differential kungfu senpai
>>
>>8908547
ouch, my feels
>>
>>8908553
are you a girl
>>
>>8908287
except tolkien was a catholic and heidegger deluded himself into being an "authentic" hyper-lutheran

do your homework
>>
>>8908561
no, i'm the cat with all the hotdogs

this conversation is pretty boring tho. try to say something interesting. i believe you can do it
>>
>>8908607
>do your homework

i have. and i'm not really trying to start a pissing contest with anyone. heidegger is a compromised guy and indeed "authenticity" is part of the problem.

/lit/ seems pretty fucking cranky today, holy shit
>>
>>8908287
>>8908333
>>8908520
>>8908548
>>8908613
>>8908657
newfag go home
>>
>>8908657
nah, you just picked shitty philosophers
>>
>>8908696
why be a cunt when you could just say something interesting instead. it's not really that hard. just try using your noodle instead of your ego

>>8908702
heidegger, lacan and zizek are hardly shitty. maybe outdated. but only because the world is moving on to new places like it always does

anyways this thread is now a confirmed trainwreck. i'm mildly disappointed but that's no biggie. sorry this couldn't have been more illuminating

good luck in 2017 gents
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.