[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"the most offensive is not their lying—one can always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Crime-Punish.jpg (900KB, 1500x2249px) Image search: [Google]
Crime-Punish.jpg
900KB, 1500x2249px
"the most offensive is not their lying—one can always forgive lying—lying is a delightful thing, for it leads to truth—what is offensive is that they lie and worship their own lying…"

Can someone help me understand what Razumikhin means in this passage? For some reason Ive been stuck on it for a long time, I keep reading it over and over to make sense of it, but apparently Im an idiot.

The context is Razumikhin ranting about the way the police are carrying out the murder investigation
>>
Book and chapter?
>>
>>8901558
Crime and Punishment
Part 2
Chapter 4
>>
>>8901546
He's criticizing them for lying not to reach the truth but to propagate further lies.
>>
It's straight forward, excellent writing. What part do you have difficulties with? The initial point of lying itself leading to truth or the worshipping of lying?
>>
>>8901582
>The initial point of lying itself leading to truth
This. That doesnt make sense to me. The point of lying is to distort the truth
>>
>>8901546
>>8901578
>>8901582
Wait, whos lying? The police are lying? Or the guys theyre interrogating are lying? The text makes it sound like the police are lying but why would the police lie? Im confused as to what lies are being told
>>
>>8901589
from what I remember, the police are feigning confidence in knowing that Raskolnikov is the murderer right?

Then the lie would ultimately lead to the truth, Raskolnikov would admit that yes, the police are right, even though they were feigning confidence initially.

Razumikhin does not believe Raskolnikov is guilty, so all he sees is the police believing their own statements with no purpose.
>>
>>8901631
Ah yes you are correct. But they arent talking about Raskolnikov yet. Theyre talking about the two guys who were trying see the pawnbroker while Raskolnikov locked himself in her apartment during the murder. The police are frigning confidence that they know those 2 commited the murder in hopes they will confess
>>
>>8901589
Lying leads to the truth in the sense that lying tries to hide a specific truth that can be followed in the motive of the liar.

if you're lying to me about something and I can sense that you're lying, I can better sense the distortion of truth based on the context of the lie
>>
>>8901546
It seems to me he's condemning people who revel in their own dishonesty; it's one thing to lie but it's another thing to get a perverse satisfaction out of deceiving someone.
>>
>>8901546
Lying's not a bad thing in and of itself, it's the pride people take in it
>>
>>8901589
That distortion leads to the truth.
>>
>>8901675
oh thanks. I should re read the book some time
>>
>>8901771
>>8901786
Im more wondering how that applies to what theyre talking about
>>
>>8901873
I'm wondering this too. If Raskolnikov represents existentialism, and his friend is assuming the cops are getting satisfaction from lying, what (if any) philosophy/viewpoint does Raskolnikov's friend represent? He seems more positive and confident in his demeanor.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.