[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are fiction writers who deal with similar themes and ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

What are fiction writers who deal with similar themes and ideas like Dick but has good prose and imagery?
I read seven novels and a few short stories by him, and I really like him, yet his only defect in my opinion is his non-aesthetic writing style, that if was done better could have made his content much more vivid and powerful.
>>
>>8899457

Dick is sometimes compared to Borges
>>
File: the-city-and-the-city.jpg (104KB, 674x1024px) Image search: [Google]
the-city-and-the-city.jpg
104KB, 674x1024px
>>8899457
Read Embassytown and The City & the City by China MiƩville and report back
>>
>>8901336
I enjoyed Perdido street station. How is this one?
>>
>>8901351
Good, but really different in both style and substance matter.
>>
>>8899457
If you haven't read 100 years of Solitude you should. Maybe I've personalized both writers to much but to me PKD and Marquez both give very interesting cross sections of the same big ideas.
>>
You are looking for Jonathan Lethem's Gun with Occasional Music. It is literally Dick with Chandlers prose.
>>
>>8899457
Robert Silverberg is a new wave author who often wrote a lot of stories about religion, cults, telepathy, androids, and transcendental experiences.

His most PKD-esque novel is Tower Of Glass, where a robotics magnate uses his army of androids to construct a communications device in the North Pole in order to contact aliens. Things go awry when the androids become religious, inventing a religion where their boss is God.

Silverberg is also an interesting author to read alongside Dick because he is almost contemporary, but whereas PKD was an West coast gentile who dropped out of college, Silverberg is a Jew Brooklynite who graduated English Lit. They were equally prolific, Silverberg perhaps more so, but his prose is more fluid and sophisticated.

His best novel is Dying Inside, a story of a middle aged man who is coming to terms with losing his powers of telepathy.

Outside of Silverberg, there is Ursula Le Guin (who attended the same school as PKD it is said.) The Lathe Of Heaven was written by her consciously with PKD in mind - a tale of a man whose dreams have the power to change reality.

And, well, there is J.G. Ballard - any of his early disaster novels (I like Drowning World). He shares PKD's preoccupation with psychology and Jung.

Basically, I think you need to be looking at the so called New Wave Authors.
>>
>>8899457

As far as Dick being an "ideas guy" you may want to check out Borges. They both use their stories to explore out-there stuff but in my opinion Borges prose is much better and is more evocative to boot.

As far as the specific themes of paranoia, drugs, and technological influence you may want to check out Pynchon. It takes it to the next level with that stuff and many people regard Pynchon as having fascinating prose. You may want to throw any ideas you have about story construction out the window, though.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.