/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I've been reading Turgenev, his hunter's sketches,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (124KB, 500x629px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124KB, 500x629px
So, I've been reading Turgenev, his hunter's sketches, and i came upon his Chertopkhanov and Nedopiuskin, and as i read through it, within the first page, i was instantly reminded of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza. It was as though I had walked into a russian version of those two, and could not shake off the feeling. I can't find much info on turgenev, but he seemed a worldly man, do you think he read Don Quixote and made this short as an ode to Cervantes? Are there any other examples of Russian odes to Cervantes? What are some unexpected crossovers of culture you've seen and enjoyed?
>>
>>8896382
The Russians read the classics like everybody else. Cervantes, Dumas, Shakespeare, Voltaire, and particularly anything in French, which was the language of the Russian aristocracy for a long time.

So of course there is intertextuality - Dostoevsky was fond of Dickens after reading his novels in Siberian hospitals, for example. So this would inform some of the characters and squalor of Crime And Punishment (the despicable Luzhin comes to mind.)

Turgenev's Father's And Son's is a good book.
>>
>>8896531
well, i'm not surprised that there's intertextuality, but rather that this hasn't been mentioned all that much, nor is there any other russian don quixote representation i've heard of, hell, i hadn't even heard of this one.
>>
>>8896382
The protagonist of Dostoevsky's "The Idiot" is modeled on Don Quixote himself. Cervantes' novel is also mentioned in the book in reference to that character.
>>
>>8896771
i thought it tended towards christ moreso, though now that you mention it, he had a sort of insanity about him. i doubt dostoevsky wanted to infuse as much don quixote as you're implying, it's certainly not apparent without trying to transfix the archetype to Myshkin. but this story, it is without a doubt a russian Quixote. anyhow, anyone have any interesting ties or intertextuality they've noticed of their own accord? not necessarily anything russian.
>>
>>8896877
>i thought it tended towards christ moreso, though now that you mention it, he had a sort of insanity about him. i doubt dostoevsky wanted to infuse as much don quixote as you're implying, it's certainly not apparent without trying to transfix the archetype to Myshkin

“Because,” replied Aglaya gravely, “in the poem the knight is described as a man capable of living up to an ideal all his life. That sort of thing is not to be found every day among the men of our times. In the poem it is not stated exactly what the ideal was, but it was evidently some vision, some revelation of pure Beauty, and the knight wore round his neck, instead of a scarf, a rosary. A device—A. N. B.—the meaning of which is not explained, was inscribed on his shield—”

“Anyway, the ‘poor knight’ did not care what his lady was, or what she did. He had chosen his ideal, and he was bound to serve her, and break lances for her, and acknowledge her as the ideal of pure Beauty, whatever she might say or do afterwards. If she had taken to stealing, he would have championed her just the same. I think the poet desired to embody in this one picture the whole spirit of medieval chivalry and the platonic love of a pure and high-souled knight. Of course it’s all an ideal, and in the ‘poor knight’ that spirit reached the utmost limit of asceticism. He is a Don Quixote, only serious and not comical. I used not to understand him, and laughed at him, but now I love the ‘poor knight,’ and respect his actions.”
>>
>>8896877
>i doubt dostoevsky wanted to infuse as much don quixote as you're implying, it's certainly not apparent without trying to transfix the archetype to Myshkin
Dostoyevsky wanted to infuse as much Don Quixote as the book could hold and it's certainly apparent.
They call Myshkin the "hapless knight" over a dozen times and make direct references to Don Quixote.
I think Dosto used DQ as a framework to apply Christ-like traits to.
>>
well, i stand corrected! thank you for bringing this to my attention, i definitely missed these references during my reading of the book, and it certainly gives me a new appreciation and understanding of the motivations of Dostoevsky in writing the Idiot. thank you, genuinely.
>>
>>8896674
I think Turgenev wrote an essay on the superfluous man and how he was either quixotic and acted without thinking or, like Hamlet and thought without acting.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.