[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most efficient way that I can learn to read italian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1460922746219.jpg (343KB, 1095x1195px) Image search: [Google]
1460922746219.jpg
343KB, 1095x1195px
What is the most efficient way that I can learn to read italian so that I can read The Divine Comedy? What are the best methods/books for learning to read (not necesarily speak) Italian?
>>
>>8893017
b-bump?
>>
>>8893378
b-b-b-bump
>>
>>8893017
Get a bilingual edition
>>
>>8893017
>>8893378
>>8893796
Learning Italian
Really well
>>
>>8893017
Stick to English. Comprehending a language does not actually give you the powers to appreciate its beauty, pleb.
>>
>>8893017
Unfortunately learning italian very well is not enough. The Comedy is written in an ancient italian that is often difficult to understand even for italians.
>>
>>8894103
Not him but by this do you mean the language is more equivalent to our Shakespeare or to our Chaucer in terms of difficulty?
>>
pee pee poo poo you are a foo' foo'
>>
>>8894107
yes something like that...
we're talking about 1300... lots of italians words and linguistic expressions were invented by Dante, but they changed during the centuries...
>>
>>8894107
In a page of a school edition of the comedy you usually find 1/4 of poem and 3/4 of explanations...
>>
>>8893851

Yes of course, anon. Try to read any Joyce translation ever and then tell me again.

OP try spend some time in Italy, it's the best way.
>>
>>8894107
Chaucer or even harder.

>>8894131
This.
>>
>>8893017
I second >>8893814 , but here's my two cents:
Even if you learn italian, you'll find very difficult to read The Comedy because, you know, it's poetry. There aren't much words people would use every day and the structure of the text is often cryptic (what >>8894103 has said).
If you really want to reach a deeper level of understanding (wathever this means...), you can learn italian and purchase a bilingual edition and an annotated italian edition. You can then read the original, read the notes in italian, translate the notes and then you can compare the original text with the english one and your translation of the italian notes.
I understand that it seems crazy, but you either learn italian very well (to the point of being able to write poetry in italian) or the only thing I can think of that could make this process easier would be to buy a copy with english notes. But this will give you a more shallow understanding of the original, I think.
Anyway, you should try for yourself before trusting my advice or anyone else. In the following link you can find the italian text of the Comedy with the paraphrase ("parafrasi" in italian). I don't know if this will be useful for you.

http://divinacommedia.weebly.com/inferno-canto-i.html

The paraphrase is the "translation" in italian. Try google translate with it.
To learn italian, maybe you can read children books in italian and study some grammar. And try /int/, but I don't really know.

https://onlineitalianclub.com/free-italian-exercises-and-resources/online-italian-course-beginner-level-a1/

https://www.uvm.edu/~cmazzoni/3grammatica/grammatica/
>>
>>8893017
This anon >>8894103 is right, but I feel like you shouldn't give up. Reading the original Dante is so beautiful, you can experience the perfect rythm of his verse and the sound of florentine vernacular, which is gentle and fluent. So I suggest you to try, at least. Start with a good manual, but if you have money and time just follow a course, you'll learn faster. When you feel ready start reading an annotated edition of Dante – Italian editions usually have the paraphrase on the sidelines, basically a simplification of the text in a current Italian. If you still can't understand, check the English translation and then go back to the original again
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.