[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody else here didn't give a fuck about literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 11b[1].jpg (59KB, 680x907px) Image search: [Google]
11b[1].jpg
59KB, 680x907px
Does anybody else here didn't give a fuck about literature when they were teenagers? I thought it was just boring and irrelevant.
I guess that a lot of teenagers shun literature because it's not as appealing as video games or social media. How to solve the problem of not reading?
>>
>>8890810
Suicide
>>
File: seal_communist.gif (4MB, 374x288px) Image search: [Google]
seal_communist.gif
4MB, 374x288px
>Does anybody else here didn't give a fuck about literature when they were teenagers?
Nope, I read a ton back in the day as well, illustrated books on the mythologies got me hooked.

>How to solve the problem of not reading?
>that pic
Kill it with fire.
>>
>>8890810
lmao how can someone be so fucking stupid. that's a seal not a word bank lmao
>>
>>8890810
>imblying teenagers not wanting to read is anything new
Kids never liked books. No vidya and social media back then, but there were still a million things more enjoyable than dusty tomes.
>>
I didn't give a fuck about literature back then, by the time I was 20 I have only read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, it was only when I was 21-22 that I started reading more, mainly because my father loves to read and we started to connect better.

I don't think not reading is a problem and I don't think it should be treated as such, at least not in a shallow sense.

I see a lot of strategies to this, either people making books more lightweight, pushing YA novels to them and so on. Or demanding more in language classes that the students read heavy weight books and do assignments on them. The first often result in people just reading YA novels for some time but making them more creeped out about more complex literature, the second often result in people just hating on reading altogether. On top of it all, I can't stop thinking: what was the problem in the first place?

I think the belief that reading is intrinsically a good thing is something that hurts literature itself. It disavows literature as something you could enjoy in a transgressive way. Kids also hate broccoli, so what do you do? Put a sugar coating on broccoli? Or force them to eat broccoli until they hate it? Instead, I think people should give more room for people to read what they please and also to not read as well. Instead of preaching the benefits of reading or the genius of this or that writer, we could start listening more to what these kids want to establish some dialogue. Not listen in the sense of giving them what they want (sugar, videogames), but to at least understand what is the world they live in and consider if books have anything to offer to them. To let them know they can read, that it could be good to them, but also not try to sell lies about it.

That being said, sometimes pushing things a bit can do good, sometimes YA novel can be a good entry point. Nothing is definitive. Not everyone will like to read, not everyone hates to read.
>>
>>8890810
>wordbank

I needed that
>>
>>8890810
>yo way to go
>>
>>8890810
we make reading even more unappealing, so only the best will look forward to it
>>
>>8890837
>Kids never liked books
Bullshit

>>8890810
>How to solve the problem of not reading?
By reading
Do you want specific book recs or what?
>>
>>8890810
On a national scale or what? I doubt it can be done. I don't know about your country but historically Germany was never that well read judging by sold books and library memberships not to mention quality of lit sold/read.

In your own family, I'd say by coming from the angle of being fascinated by books yourself and sharing and relating them to your life, setting a good example. Never by projecting your failed ambitions on your children/siblings and emotionally coercing them to make up your lack of discipline and never berating them for spending too much time on vidya.

Also establishing comfy reading time as a family ritual after dinner or something sounds like a good idea too.
>>
>>8890810
Wasn't until my last year of high school that I started to genuinely enjoy reading. You have to grow into it + have someone teach you how to read (not how to convert letters into words, but how to find meaning in a text).

If you want to "get into" reading, start with some simple but reasonably deep stuff, like Catcher in the Rye, F451, some of the other high school staples. A lot of them are decent books, and they're easy enough that most adults can appreciate them without too much effort. After you finish reading one book, look up some scholarship (articles, essays, even full books) about that book and its author. Reading other people's opinions on a novel will show you things you didn't think of. After you've found 2 or 3 insights you like, reread the book again, with those things in mind.

After you've repeated this process several times, try to formulate some ideas of your own about the novel. This is the most important part. What does it tell you that it hasn't told anyone else?

Once you can answer that question, you're a reader.
>>
File: remove kebab.jpg (126KB, 1041x1066px) Image search: [Google]
remove kebab.jpg
126KB, 1041x1066px
I mean, for me, it wasn't until I decided to read books on my own time and at my own pace did I start to enjoy it. I didn't really enjoy reading any topic when it was assigned homework or something you had to do for school/college and had to make sure you knew certain terms/phrases and what parts of the books mean. Reading for me basically got fun when I could sit and read and not worry about every little thing in the book that school's emphasize.
>>
>>8890810
I've already been a fan of lit. I'm not a pleb like you
>>
>>8891249
*always
>>
>>8890810
>Yo way to Go!
>Got a 66%
And people wonder why younger generations are having a knowledge gap between the top and bottom percentiles.
>>
I used to think books were for losers and social outcasts, and I was right.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.