[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question: How do you know what medium is best for your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1481884464377.jpg (14KB, 297x331px) Image search: [Google]
1481884464377.jpg
14KB, 297x331px
Serious question: How do you know what medium is best for your story? Why does studio ghilibi choose anime to tell their story instead of books (I know they often base it off novels but why do they think they bother?). I know the strengths of film is visuals and sound but books have the limitations of the readers imagination. While films have the limitations of reality. Animation has much more freedom but still bound by the animators imagination.

How do I know if my story is best suited for a videogame? I want to make a videogame but I don't know how to write a story for it? If I just use cutscenes and break it up with gameplay. I might as well make a movie.
>>
Animation: Visual oriented & movement beyond imagination.

Books: Psychologycal oriented, the language is a important factor. Abstract oriented.

Videogames: Self insertion oriented?
>>
>>8890655
>Videogames: Self insertion oriented?
Like an RPG? Like a choose your own adventure?

But then why does Last of us succeed?
>>
>>8890643
anime give money
>>
>>8890655
Almost.

The difference between a book and a movie is similar to the one between a book and a painting.
You take a painting in all at once, while a book comes word for word. A movie doesn't quite get the whole "take it in all at once" to the same level, but it's in the middle of the way.
Vidya would be a sum of that aspect of movies plus choice.
>>
>>8890643
>want to make videogame
>or maybe a movie
Sounds like you should be on /v/ or /tv/
>>
>>8890696
yeah pacman is like a movie with a guy eating everything in front of him and running from ghosts except that you have choices
>>
>>8890699
Yeah you self-insert in pacman totes
>>
The form and the content, the medium and the story, none of that is separate. More so than to justify this or that choice as if they arrived equally at some point in work, it is best to deal with what you have and keep experimenting with the tools available to you.

It's not that Ghibli thought of a story and then had a meeting to decide whether to do an animation or a book. They are an animation studio. It's even interesting that you use this example of animation, because the story is worked along with the drawings, and ideas come about in the middle of the process as well. A movie can start with a visual idea rather than a story.

Instead of thinking "I have a story, where do I put it?", you can simply keep steady in your quest to make this idea better in whatever way that you can with what you have. If the story appears first, in the sense of a narrative, dialogue, etc, then why not write it as such? If instead, you have a story ready and decide do to a videogame or a comic book, you'll face the challenge that you are not in a studio that makes them, or you can't draw. Anyway, you'd make this into an impossible task. If instead, you are interested in making videogames, you'd naturally get around people who make them and by the time your idea arrive, you already have the means to make into a videogame.

In short anon, it's not much of a decision out of nowhere. Don't waste your time thinking if you should make a series of etchings or a symphony or an anime or a board game out of your story. Writing has the benefit of requiring little material support and it is often a one person job, but if you are interesting in other artforms, go after them, not with a specific project for a story in mind, but get around those tools to learn what they can do for you.
>>
>>8890707
what about tetris
should i fantasize i'm stacking up pieces of shit that come out of my ass?
>>
>>8890643
>implying videogames are art
>>
>>8890715
Seriously, end this meme
>>
File: mccloud_understanding_comics.jpg (106KB, 924x455px) Image search: [Google]
mccloud_understanding_comics.jpg
106KB, 924x455px
Here's a diagram from Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics. Its pretty useful for any artistic creation desu
>>
>>8891006
Hey this is actually pretty neat
>>
>>8891020
Rest of the comic is good too. Really gave me an idea of how far any medium can go
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.