[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people think 'exposing' (more of name-calling)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 1441717893992.jpg (82KB, 546x549px) Image search: [Google]
1441717893992.jpg
82KB, 546x549px
Why do people think 'exposing' (more of name-calling) logical fallacies equals actual debating skills? Isn't it a cheap way in itself?
I mean, I see people just shitting out "STRAWMAN!!! GOT YOU AHAHA XD" when it would be much easier (and productive) to say "I didn't say that at all" or "Don't put words in my mouth", "what I said was that..." instead.
The point of logical fallacies is knowing them and thus breaking them, not just shouting them as if they were some sort of "press to win" button. What happens is that each side starts pointing out what they THINK is a fallacy and the actual arguments die.

I'm not advocating for fallacies, but to break them properly.

Not to mention people seem to confuse formal logic and casual discussion which have completely different 'rules'...
>>
>>8890500
4chan is full of autistic faggots
>>
File: IMG_1814.jpg (491KB, 1228x1801px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1814.jpg
491KB, 1228x1801px
>>
>>8890509
Keked
>>
>>8890500

You do nothing different in essence when you throw some fallacy-meme at someone instead of clarifying that your opponents argument was weak. It is more elegant of course, but pretty much useless. Not even mentioning that you give an idiot a false sense of superiority by seriously replying to his obvious bait.
There is nothing else you can do honestly, especially with strawmen, he wants you to jump on this train of thought. If someone throws around with fallacies he is not interessted in a serious debate in the first place or is simply too stupid to have one.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>mfw a logicfag speaks up near me
>>
>>8890500
>The point of logical fallacies is knowing them and thus breaking them
>I'm not advocating for fallacies, but to break them properly.
What?
>>
>>8890500
>The point of logical fallacies is knowing them and thus breaking them, not just shouting them as if they were some sort of "press to win" button. What happens is that each side starts pointing out what they THINK is a fallacy and the actual arguments die.
Where does that even happen?

I think you need to spend less time on the Internet young man
>>
>>8891220
He means he doesn't want people to just say something is a fallacy. He wants them to be aware of fallacies and know how to call them out in the proper way.
>>
File: 1303613601240.jpg (4KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1303613601240.jpg
4KB, 259x194px
>>8891220
I'm certain he meant to say that knowing logical fallacies should enable someone to recognize when they're being committed thereby making it easier to break apart an opposing argument
>>
>>8891240
Ineloquence is part of dweeby Internet culture but argument wise there's no difference.
>>
>>8891247
But addressing the fallacy is breaking apart the argument however clumsy and ineloquent it is to simply "spout fallacies" and leaving the analysis to your interlocutor but that's Internet culture for you.
>>
>>8890500
Sound like you're just booty bothered that people are calling you out on it when you say something stupid. Get fucked.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.