[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts? Virginia Woolf (and other womyn) seem underappreciated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 46114[1].jpg (24KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
46114[1].jpg
24KB, 310x475px
Thoughts? Virginia Woolf (and other womyn) seem underappreciated on this board. It's a mindblowing book with an experimental way of storytelling; should be part of /lit/ canon imo.
>>
>>8881620
she's my favorite writer but I don't really want to talk about her tbqhwyfam.
>>
The Waves and To the Lighthouse always appear on 'favorite' lists here but the books are never discussed. I think it's more because people lie about reading them than having anything to do with her being a woman
>>
>>8881620
I just read The Waves (my first Woolf) and I thought it was great. The first half was incredible, it felt like a dream, but the second half wasn't as ecstatic, and I wonder if it was deliberate. What do you guys think? Since the book is about coming to terms with how boring and lonely life is (among other things) does it make sense that the book gets less dreamy as it goes on? The first section especially is almost allegorical with the way the kids talk, about how they're turning into trees. But by the end of the book it totally changes, with nothing like that, Bernard just admitting to himself that he's lived a life of zero consequence.

I felt disappointed by the ending, but just last night I thought that maybe it was deliberate.
>>
>>8881906
Definitely deliberate imo, showing the contrast between youth and adulthood.
>>
I've only read Orlando and thought there were moments of brilliance, though only two of the centuries really mattered in the book. The description of Orlando writing all day and then emerging into the garden feeling the sun wash over him is excellent.

What book should I read next? To the Lighthouse?
>>
>>8881889
People actually talk about 4 people on here, I've read Orlando and To the Lighthouse and both were brilliant.
>>
To the Lighthouse was fucking phenomenal. Probably the best book I've ever reap from a formal standpoint.
>>
>>8881936
I was planning to reread it anyway but this will definitely make it worth it,
>>
>>8881620
Second-rate Joyce
>>
She's my favourite novelist, OP.

The Waves is the second best of her works in my opinion after To The Lighthouse, because contra to >>8881906 I think her attempt to describe experience through metaphor, while certainly beautiful, is in the end a failure. When Bernard develops past that his final monologue is extraordinary. TTL is more on point psychologically and thematically in its exploration of human relationships and the passing of time.
>>
The waves was great. Read TTL afterwards abd it felt a bit of a letdown
>>
TTL and Mrs. Dalloway are better desu. Only the childhood part and Bernard's final monologue are great.
>>
>>8881889
No, they are never (little) discussed for the same reason you've never written anything substantial on this board
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.