[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could it be that listening to audiobooks provides a better experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 6gnmw65k.jpg (210KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
6gnmw65k.jpg
210KB, 600x549px
Could it be that listening to audiobooks provides a better experience than reading them?
Aural memory is clearly more evocative than abstraction provided by letters, and the fact that you cannot 'scan' through the page forces you to be more involved and attentive.
>>
neh.

It's only a different experience, very probably not better.

Scanning a page isn't mandatory.
>>
File: 1482192887787.jpg (109KB, 640x869px)
1482192887787.jpg
109KB, 640x869px
>>8881580
I retain more from audiobooks. If someone brings up a specific part from a book that I've listened to I can usually quote it from memory and can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard it.
I enjoy reading a book more than listening to it, though.
>>
Audio books are good for stories or things that are meant to be read in a "flow". Trying to read a terse text like Critique of Pure Reason in audio book format is hell.
>>
voice actors distract me and pretty much ruin the expirence.
>>
>>8881580
Citation needed on statements on memory
Either way, you and >>8882332 sound like /mu/tants who are trying to say everyone's mind works like yours
>>
>>8882384
sound like /mu/tants who are trying to say everyone's mind works like yours
>>8882332
>I
>I've
>I
I don't think I suggested that in any way, fuckface.
>>
>>8882353
This. There are some exceptions, for example Metro 2033 was pretty fun with the russian accents, but nine times outta ten the dialogue is butchered and it ruins the experience.
I like audiobooks for non-fiction though.
>>
>>8881580
I've literally never "scanned" a page. I read every word and go back and read stuff If I can't envision in my head exactly whats going on. Sometimes your brain reads the words and doesn't really process them and thats when you have to go back and start over that part.
>>
I think its subjective, i personaly enjoy reading but i do have books i'd rather listen to in my car. Theres no "better" about it. Some just prefer one over the other.
>>
Who is she?
>>
>>8881580
When I read something that gets me really invested, I envision it. For some reason I have much harder time envisioning stuff from audiobooks, also as >>8882425 have said, if you missed the point of the last few sentences it is much easier to pay them another glance in book form than in audio.
>>
I can consume more in audiobook format because of the commute, which helps a lot.
>>
>>8881580
yes it provides a better experience than reading audiobooks
>>
>>8881580
Storytelling is historically grounded in the oral tradition of poets, but the significance of the spoken word most likely wained as writers no longer relied upon metre, rhyme or rhythm to memorise and embellish the narrative with aesthetic nuances. the printing press was probably the final nail in its coffin, alongside the proliferation of prose fiction, and music has replaced our need for poetics (think about how easy it is to memorise a pop song over a metrically complex poem). Whether or not you can process the information better in audiobook format is dependent on whether you're better at memorising aural patterns, or interpreting structural (mythical) conventions.
>>
>>8881580
If you are a writer, you should never listen to audiobooks. You will only improve your craft by reading. If you are reading for pleasure it does not matter
>>
>>8884629

ditto
>>
>>8884629
Not if you write by dictation
>>
>>8884853
>this post dictated but not read
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.