[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Decided to pick up this book for kicks. >A fictional movie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: House_of_leaves.jpg (19KB, 330x435px) Image search: [Google]
House_of_leaves.jpg
19KB, 330x435px
Decided to pick up this book for kicks.

>A fictional movie within an essay within a fictional story.
>Story-ception.
>Navidson Record was interesting, JT's story was not.
>Last 1/4 of book, JT's story became literally pages of rambling on about nonsense, ended up skipping a few pages entirely of random rambling.

As an aspiring writer myself, I found this book very creative, and it was a fresh read on that front, but I didn't enjoy reading it as much as I thought.

What are your thoughts on this "found footage" book?
>>
The quality of posts is extremely important to this community.
>>
As a "real" aspiring author I don't read books in the 21st century.
>>
>>8879569
I found it entertaining, certainly gave me the feels at some points, but in other parts of the book it's really obtuse [spoiler/] like the coded letter from JT's mum or the backwards text in the windows which only repeats what has been said
And whilst I get it, [spoiler/] Zampano's authorship is supposed to be overly pretentious and intended to suck the life out of everything, I would have liked it if MZD would have toned down in certain sections on that aspect of the text for the sake of the emotional impact, Tom's death comes to mind...

Other than that, I found it imaginative and vividly realised, made me want to check out his other stuff

there's also this album from his sister written to accompany the text, it's not very good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSadC_SMwIk&list=PLET65MlekIzJxxbyH5xIscjdNWX_Htezu
>>
>>8879569
Was very entertaining. best parts are the Navidson record obviously, and the statement they get from all the public figures.

Truant's story dragged on occasion but I thought it was redeemed by the last bits where he completely loses his shit
>>
>>8879569
I think it's very reddit tbqh
>>
>>8879572
Then you're shooting yourself in the foot. It's fucking stupid not to know firsthand what is happening right now in the literary world, even if you view it all as worthless. If anything, it makes you more capable of writing something that subverts the current norm.
>inb4 you say you already know what's happening in writing right now via some secondary source
>>
>>8879631
This. It's reddit: the book
>>
>>8879657
literature has been dead since Beckett, there is no reason to care about contemporary writing
>>
>>8879657
>GenX faggot writes a book full of tropes of the 1920s-30s avant garde
>"what is happening right now in the literary world"
>implying literature is a dialectic whereby modernism supplants romanticism and that we are at or are approaching literature's End Of History

Nice try, man.
>>
File: dfw2.jpg (167KB, 529x705px) Image search: [Google]
dfw2.jpg
167KB, 529x705px
>>8879672
The End of History is actually a meme, and a Eurocentric one at that.
Disregarding the historical context of the actual argument and stripping it back to the bare essentials... history doesn't just conclude with the acceptance or victory of a particular ideology. Think about it ffs, we are now in a particular set of social conditions that are radically different from those from even 5 years ago, let alone at the time Joyce and the great modernists were writing. There is and forever will be a continual exchange of ideas from a variety of different directions.

moral of the story you're a fucking dumb
>>
>>8879657

Agreed. If you yourself are a writer, and you don't know what other contemporary works your personal projects will be mingling with once you publish (if thats even your goal), ESPECIALLY in your chosen genre, your wearing blinders and limiting your creative scope.

Also (If your goal is to publish) you think the majority of todays readers are going to want to read works that resemble ancient literature?

Maybe your goal is to target a very niche group, and if that is the case, more power to ya.
>>
>>8879696
>Eurocentric
>doesn't understand irony
>quotes my entire argument back at me

All I want for Christmas is for /lit/ to agree that House of Leaves is a shit book.
>>
It was an alright book, I didn't feel it was great but I also wouldn't put it down and feel bored with it. The Navidson record bits were enticing and I enjoyed the essay itself, but I guess I was a bit annoyed at all the artistic formatting he'd done with the book except I also can't imagine reading the text on an e-reader. Somehow I find myself not recommending it to anyone though, it's too cumbersome.
>>
How to fix the book:
-remove everything that has anything to do with Truant except for the intro and mom letters, replace everything else with things people actually want to read
-remove edge

It would be a fantastic novel if those two things happened
>>
>>8879737
if there were no edge the book couldn't fall of the shelf
>>
>>8879696
I want to be triggered by your use of Eurocentric but I wouldn't want to give you the impression you'd pulled off a feat of successful reading-comprehension. I think I'm just going to reply w this:

Lmao you're an idiot
>>
>>8879569
Didn't enjoy most of Johnny's story, thought that could have been pared down considerably. Too incoherent for my liking.
>>
its shit
>>
Just ordered Only Revolutions. Available on Amazon.
>>
I wouldn't say i regretted the purchase and time i spent reading that book but i felt like it was a chore to read.
I feel as though i'm unable to eloquently articulate why i feel this way but i'll put it this way:
you'll enjoy it if you have autism.
>>
File: meth rollins has a gift for you.jpg (66KB, 650x431px) Image search: [Google]
meth rollins has a gift for you.jpg
66KB, 650x431px
>>8879749
The End of History, the book, the book by Francis Fukuyama,the ideas that it posited with regards to history in this book, to which anon was making (admittedly cursory) reference to, is incredibly Eurocentric.
Why?
Because it concludes that Western Liberal Democracy is the be all end all of "history" i.e sociocultural development.
I'm therefore correct in asserting it is Eurocentric.
therefore get fukd

>>8879717
>OH I WAS BEING IRONIC HAHA
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.