[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /readsbooksbasedonlength/ here? 300-450 pages is *perfect*.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Who /readsbooksbasedonlength/ here?

300-450 pages is *perfect*.

500-600 is long.

700+ is just fucking stretching it.

I mean, what the FUCK can you fit into over 1 0 0 0 pages of a book apart from filler prose and bullshit like 30 page descriptions a photo in a character's wallet?
>>
>>8877157
delete this shit
>>
>>8877173
You aren't smarter because you read long books.

You force yourself to read these door-stopper snore-fests only for your own vanity.

You absorb less and less the longer the book is.

Do you even remember anything from the 'books' you read?
>>
I do that. A LOT of the books I read are <300, even <200, short story collections, poetry, plays, etc. because I value my time.
I choose my doorstoppers very carefully always after reading another of the author's smaller books to see if I like their style. Read Tolstoy's short stories before trying AK. Not bothering with Wallace/Pynchon after reading their shorter stuff, no matter how much hype there is here.
>>
>>8877200
I have a preference for short stories and novellas.
I also have a preference for threads that aren't trash
>>
>>8877200
I doubt anyone is under the illusion that reading novels of significant length makes them any smarter. Long books should be able to tell a larger story or make a bigger point. Not all of them accomplish that but some do. Close yourself off from experiencing that is just foolish
>>
>>8877231
^*closing
>>
DFW must have been pretty stupid to think people would want to read his long ass book. Even stupider though, some people actually did it!
>>
>>8877157
lol you read a fat book once and started getting all opinionated.
>>
File: 1474071035968.jpg (20KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
1474071035968.jpg
20KB, 460x276px
>>8877237
>>
>>8877243
I tried to read a fat book.

I got that classic 'are-they-still-on-namek' feeling after around 300 pages and realised there was 1000 to go.
>>
>>8877245
Seriously man. It's more than 1000 pages. He must have been ridiculously self-absorbed.
>>
>>8877264
>ambitious art is only the product of self absorbed artists

You got any reasons for this mad assertion?
>>
>>8877289
Nope. I just think his book is too long. Longer than the Iliad and the Odyssey together, longer than The Brothers Karamazov, and longer than Ulysses.

I just don't think DFW's ambition warrants that length.
>>
>>8877346
Thank you oh "Great Arbiter of Lengths of Books"
>>
>>8877364
Okay enjoy 1070 or whatever pages of okay writing by some professor who killed himself. We all have our own tastes.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.