[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could you recommend some books on wageslavery, or on workplace

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 24

File: wageslave.jpg (66KB, 396x703px) Image search: [Google]
wageslave.jpg
66KB, 396x703px
Could you recommend some books on wageslavery, or on workplace ideology in general?

I've read The Soul at Work quite recently, and also The Burnout Society.

Anything on the guilt associated with modern office work and the pressure to work long hours and sacrifice yourself for the sake of productivity.
>>
>>>/wsr/
>>
>>
File: 9780745334868.jpg (693KB, 804x1280px) Image search: [Google]
9780745334868.jpg
693KB, 804x1280px
>>
Read Adorno's essay on Free Time in The Consumer Society

"Free time" is an oxymoron, "hobbies" are nonsensical. Capitalism basically colonises your entire existence, commodifies everything, traps you perpetually in a cycle of
>Work --> recuperate so you can do more work --> Work
which, i.e., makes "free time" merely an appendage of work time. All time is work time.
>>
>>8872643
Sorry, in The Culture Industry*

Consumer Society is Baudrillard's book, also good on this topic, but Adorno's essay in TCI is like 10 pages and you can feel his disgust dripping from it, so it's easy
>>
>>8872643
Also of interest: Jacques Ellul (kind of a Heidegger-lite) on The Technological Society. Skim to 350~ where he talks about work, play, human organisation.
>>
The Pale King, sort of.
>>
File: one-dimensional-man-4.jpg (476KB, 942x942px) Image search: [Google]
one-dimensional-man-4.jpg
476KB, 942x942px
>>8872411
>>
OP here. Thanks for the recommendations.

>>8872662
I have read this, and although I really enjoyed it (despite the fact that is written in part NOT to be enjoyed, which was an authorial strategy I respected) the fact that DFW himself barely worked a day in his life full-time (lecturing and freelance journalism aside) I find it difficult to become the sort of obscure, meek, but noble cog in the machine as he encourages. I heard a speech from Zadie Smith this year in which she basically promotes the same kind of "think of others first" and anti-self philosophy but again it's difficult to listen to this coming from an author who has never had to work full-time since the age of 25.
>>
>the guilt associated with modern office work and the pressure to work long hours and sacrifice yourself for the sake of productivity.

how do I opt out
>>
>>8872673
What do you expect though, wagecucks don't have the time or the spare mental energy to create books worth reading
>>
>>8872639
Sexy cover, is it worth reading?
>>
>>8872643
I hate this fucking argument.
>Like, consumerism makes you work!
>Dude, capitalism is terrible because it like, makes life boring, don't be a wageslave
What fucking conceivable system could possibly exist in which I wouldn't have to work?
>>
>>8872676
OP here. No idea. I am a very guilt-prone individual, probably in part due to being raised by a depressive single mother in near-poverty. Every time I take time off work I feel guilty as hell and fear some kind of punishment. It's pathetic really. I am planning to try and find part-time work next year so as to focus on my writing however, though this will probably have long-term negative consequences.

>>8872679
What I mean is that if an author who has worked full-time for many years and then became a full-time author and still advocated full-time employment and being a sort of silent guardian of the social structure then great. But the authors who do have this experience tend instead to publish books like The Air-Conditioned Nightmare by Henry Miller or Michel Houellebecq's books wherein his protagonists are depressed office workers deprived of joy. It's frustrating to hear writers who have had it rather easy their entire life (DFW was raised by academics, only got into Amherst because his dad was alumni, knew he'd have the money to attend grad school, wanted to find a job while living in the Boston halfway house to immerse himself in real life ut quit as a security guard after a day because he didn't like getting up early, quit his job at a country club because he saw some poet there and felt embarrassed, and so on - not undermining the effort he put into reading and writing etc however) to stand on stage with all their wealth and influence and years of relative leisure and tell the audience that the best thing they can do with their lives is to submit to the system and have the decency not to be upset by the stress it places on them.
>>
>>8872690
a system in which you aren't expected to work in excess of 60 hours a week
>>
>>8872679
Pynchon worked for Boeing when he wrote V.
Wittgenstein wrote Tractus while in the military.
Dostoevsky continued to write while in Siberia.
You're just a bitch.
>>
File: john_davis_dodecagon-1969.jpg (27KB, 700x359px) Image search: [Google]
john_davis_dodecagon-1969.jpg
27KB, 700x359px
>>8872411
>slavery

Fuck this shit. It's not even close to slavery. Noone is holding a gun to your head, you are free to leave your shitty job any time you want. Find a job with lower pay and live with less, or find a way to sustain yourself outside of capitalism. It's not impossible and it's certainly been done before.

Jesus christ
>>
File: 1402749314438.gif (861KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1402749314438.gif
861KB, 300x169px
>>8872703
>60 hours a week
>Dude quit being productive you're triggering me
>>
>>8872704
None of those are comparable to modern wage cuckery

Communication technology has rendered your spare even more dismantled. There was a time when people believed in a five day work week
>>
>>8872721
>there was a time
You mean literally right now?
This time?
Unless you're working at a law firm or an IB, you're not working 7 days a week.
>>
>>8872719
>he hasn't been to grad school
>>
>>8872731
>my personal choices require from me a large portion of my time
>that's oppressive somehow
>>
>>8872690
The fact is to sustain the current economic system, which relies on mass production of inessential goods and mass consumption of inessential goods, requires a man to essentially adapt himself to its demands, which means working long hours, and continuing to view technological (((advances))) as a virtue, despite the fact that modern technology only increases the stresses and pressure on him due its capacity to democratize access to the competitive field. Many of us don't consume much yet we are still forced to work full-time simply to pay extortionate rent and appease the ideological demands of our system. The workplace has become a surrogate home, our colleagues a surrogate family, the desk has become a dinner table, the lunch hour has become an arena in which to prove your loyalty to the brand by working without pay throughout it each day.
>>
>>8872737
>dude, just drop out lmao
>>
>>8872719
>productive

Yeah, nah. If you had actually ever worked a full-time job you'd realize that much of the day, especially those extra hours, only exist for the sake of posturing and proving what a good cuck you are.
>>
>>8872743
>people need to stop wanting things because I don't like it
>how dare people like things that I don't like?
And no, you're not forced to work full-time. Go live on an anarchist commune, there's literally nothing stopping you.
And no, most companies with a good culture of climate will not require those things.
>>8872746
I was in the military and simultaneous constructed a robo-trader for derivatives with my friend, but okay.
No-one is making you do shit.
>>
>>8872690
You have to get the Marxian framework in order to understand it.

It's not about "work" in some general sense. It's about the commodification of work, and of the human being.

Precisely Adorno's point about hobbies is that they don't make any sense. They're an incoherent and condescending concept. Work before capitalism was more conceptually complex, and involved things like civic engagement, exhausting but rewarding effort, real "care" about things. Work under capitalism is productive labour abstracted to the highest degree possible, deforming the human being into an appendage of capital, and allowing the "machinery" the minimum necessary time to "cool off," by commodifying bits of culture and leisure activities and selling them back to the machinery for his wage.

Adorno says: He doesn't have "hobbies." Even his enjoyable diversions and sideline activities he approaches seriously, as a full human being. Capitalism would prefer he go to orgyporgy.
>>
>>8872752
I'm aware of the argument, I've read Engels, Marx and Hegel. I just think it's a dumb argument that's separated from the reality of it. At no point in communism does work become "rewarding". A menial shit job is still a menial shit job. Some dude that goes out and collects crops all day long, or constructs shit on a factory line still has a mundane shit life.

At the end of the day owning the means of production doesn't change the fact that I'm doing boring as fuck drudgery day in and day out. Industrialization caused this, not capitalism. Neither ideological system is going to change this.
>>
>>8872751

See, there's the issue. You had one of the rare fulfilling enjoyable jobs. The vast majority of existing jobs can be done in 2-3 hours and yet you're being held there most of the day pretending to work.

I worked in an office for a van rental company for a year recently and I had never been more miserable in my fucking life. On a daily basis there was maybe 2 hours of actual working to be done. The boss didn't like people not working on the clock either, so I had to stagger what work I had to do around his schedule, so I would be working whenever he walked into the office, lest he become displeased. Most modern jobs are like this, held together only by the old fashioned notion that a job should take up most of the day, and not just the time it takes to complete the actual fucking work.
>>
>>8872751
>>people need to stop wanting things because I don't like it
>>how dare people like things that I don't like?

Hmm, that doesn't seem to have been implied by that post! You seem to be illiterate. Try /pol/, /tv/, or /v/; these boards do not require reading, and may be more your speed.
>>
>>8872705
>find a job

You have any idea how difficult that is, unless you go all out and develop skills necessary to appease the Jewish overlords?

I'm 36 years old and hold a PhD in Philosophy focusing on the philosophy of Husserl and guess where I'm working? I work two jobs for 65 hours a week, both minimum wage. Each night I stumble home into my lonely, squalid apartment and sleep for five ours before forcing myself to travel to work again. I'm the greatest Husserl scholar in North America yet I am forced to live the live of a bucktoothed retard simply because my skills and knowledge have nothing to do with the acquisition or reallocation of material goods or physical matter. I met a grad student on tinder recently who was studying EngLit and when she discovered how I'd been living since graduating she ended the date part-way through after making an excuse about her sister being unwell, which WASN'T TRUE since I followed her to a Red Lobster where she spent over an hour with a group of girls who were eventually joined by some guys. This is capitalism. This is the system you worship so intently. This is what it does to masters of the mind.
>>
>>8872769
>You had one of the rare fulfilling enjoyable jobs.
>Most modern jobs are like this, held together only by the old fashioned notion that a job should take up most of the day, and not just the time it takes to complete the actual fucking work.

Hahahahahaha. The military consists of a 12 hour long work day of sitting around on your phone and occasionally sweeping the floor wondering where your million dollars in training went to.

Outside of actual specialized professions that people enjoy, almost all work is shit. It's going to be shit regardless of if it's communism or capitalism. Capitalism transforms you into a communal capital, communism sub serves you to the community.
>Oh that's nice anon, I'm glad you want to be a writer, but you're gonna have to come in on Saturday this weekend or you're fucking fired and you're gonna starve.
>Oh that's nice anon, I'm glad you want to be a writer, but comrade the fields need to be plowed so go ahead and get out there or we'll put you on the wall.
>>
>>8872767
>I've read Engels, Marx and Hegel. I just think it's a dumb argument that's separated from the reality of it.

So you read The Communist Manifesto and The Philosophy of Right?
>>
>>8872767
>Industrialization caused this, not capitalism.

L O L
O O
L O L
>>
>>8872704
>Pynchon worked for Boeing
Pynchon was offered a scholarship and turned it down to work at Boeing since all he had to do was research and write for the in-house quarterly publication. It was by no means a stressful job, and he quite within two years to live as a NEET in Mexico to complete his novel.

>Wittgenstein
Incorrect. He wrote it while living in a secluded cabin in Skjolden.

>Dostoevsky
Wrong. He wrote very little in Siberia, and finished whatever he did begin to write after returning to society.

You're naive, which is even worse.
>>
>>8872788
want to play cs
>>
>>8872788
>I'm the greatest Husserl scholar in North America

i sincerely doubt this. you finished your phd, whoopiedeedoo
>>
>>8872769
people need to work just to fight boredom
>>
>>8872751
60% of Americans don't take their entire year's worth of holiday allocation due to fear of being fired. Most people now eat at their desk for the same reason. Don't be so naive.

>>8872751
>robo-trader for derivatives
You obviously don't belong to the genius subtype, because if you did you'd appreciate that extended social interaction and / or exposure to external stimuli ruins the sensitive internal balance we struggle to uphold.
>>
>>8872798
>Dude Boeing doesn't count as real work
>In the summer of 1918 Wittgenstein took military leave and went to stay in one of his family's Vienna summer houses, Neuwaldegg. It was there in August 1918 that he completed the Tractatus, which he submitted with the title Der Satz (German: proposition, sentence, phrase, set, but also "leap") to the publishers Jahoda and Siegel.[119]
>Dude Dostoevsky finished it when he came back that doesn't count
>>
>>8872799
I only play Pharoah (1999)
>>
>>8872807
>60% of Americans don't take their entire year's worth of holiday allocation due to fear of being fired. Most people now eat at their desk for the same reason. Don't be so naive.
Okay, so people are retarded and make dumb choices with their time. They are perfectly free to not do these things.
>>
>>8872788
>since I followed her to a Red Lobster where she spent over an hour with a group of girls who were eventually joined by some guys
>>
>>8872744
If you don't like the work, where it's taking you, or anything else about it, why not?
>>
My Work is Not Yet Done is workplace existentialism bundled with a raving depression. A bit clichéed in spots, but a great read imo.

Thomas Ligotti has a bunch of other corporate horror stories, but they don't reach the heights of My Work...
>>
>>8872801
Not only have I completed my PhD, I have also written a lengthy, detailed biography of Husserl himself and a studied critique of his major works in addition to a study of the historical context in which they were written. Yet here I am working yet another last-minute shift at Wendy's in Lafayette and being scolded by my 23-year-old manager because I took an extra five minutes during my lunch break to call my the regional suicide hotline YET AGAIN to cry about how depressed I am only to be ACCUSED of hoaxing them since she recognized my voice. This is where I'm at. One hundred years ago I would be strolling across some leaf-strewn campus clutching a pile of hardbacks and winking at the giggling red-cheeked freshmen girls, but in this corrupt modern age I am forced to stand there and apologize repeatedly to some obese black woman who insists the food we offer was cheaper the last time she visited. EFF YOU KID.
>>
>>8872814
But they aren't. They face demotion or being let off. Many have families and can't afford that risk.
>>
>>8872836
I have only read one of his stories (about some dude in a factory where the boss is a tentacled monster behind the frosted glass) but I really, really like the idea of corporate horror. It's the perfect successor to Lovecraft's space and ocean autism.
>>
>>8872752
>Adorno says: He doesn't have "hobbies".

That much is clear.
>>
>>8872847
>demotion or being fired
That's the quickest way to a lawsuit.
>yeah hey I was fired because I took vacation time
>here's 3 million dollars
>>
>>8872832

Not him, but because then I'll no longer be able to afford rent and be forced to either move back in with my parents, where the judgement I will recieve for not being gainfully employed, on top of being in the middle of fucking nowhere unable to engage in my interests and communicate with the people that I like may force me to kill myself.

>>8872841
This. I have a masters degree in biotech from the best university in my country. It's top 150 and yet I'm working behind a fucking shop till.
>>
>>8872856
You're trying too hard to sound as if you have a clue kid.
>>
>>8872858
>top 150
>>
>>8872789
Notice the following contradiction...
>most of the time at work is downtime.
>want to be a writer but have to work

The modern work style is a godsend for anyone with writing ambition because you're literally getting paid to sit around and do nothing which is time you can spend to write. People will always find an excuse for their failure but in most cases it comes from their own inability to commit themselves to what they need to do.
>>
>>8872876

It's top 50 in Biotech
>>
>>8872871
>working on getting my JSD
Yeah, fuck would I know.
>>
>>8872877

Idiot. Do you think most employers will let you write in your """free""" time.

No. They expect you to be working the entire time, while not acknowledging that you have nothing to do. I can understand the mentality even if it's retarded. He's not paying me by the hour to sit on my ass.
>>
File: 1412124873275.png (123KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1412124873275.png
123KB, 633x758px
>>8872882
>top 50
>>
>>8872888
Who gives a fuck what you're working towards. You're naive. Go peacock on facebook.
>>
>>8872898

Yeah, I know desu. This wouldn't have been a problem if I'd gone to Harvard, MIT or Oxford.
>>
>>8872905
I literally can't express how much better my life has been since I attended Oxford. I went to a state school and gradually became the stereotypical moody, withdrawn sensitive type who both despises the quality of his immediate culture and feels a weird pride for having been raised in a sort of anti-intellectual and brutal environment. I was all set to take my Russell Group humanities BA and spend my life working as an anonymous, insecure wageslave forever thankful of being offered a job and forever too insecure to pursue my creative ambitions. The chip on my shoulder had become something of a wedge, and I felt too out of place regardless of my environment, too resentful and bitter to even attempt to make it in the artistic world. Then I finally applied for Oxford and got in to study an English MA, with reassurance that should I work hard enough a career in academia or within one of Oxford's affiliated companies would be almost guaranteed. I turned up as apprehensive as usual, and the first few days were spent regretting my decision and desperately feigning a cultured personality. But then I realized that the people there were just interesting and that the snobbery and exclusivity I had anticipated was just a myth borne out of my working class upbringing. I've since graduated, having spend the year dining in grand halls with groups of interesting people, dating several girls (one of whom, a petite Russian whose family traces back to the aristocracy, is now my fiancee). I work four days a week at a publishing company and earn £38k a year. I regularly meet up with friends from my college and visit Oxford for nights out and for meetings with my professors. The Martin Eden-esque novel I have been writing for two years has been selected for publication at a major British publishing house and, honestly, I could not have imagined a few years ago how great life could be. I come on /lit/ and see how pathetic you all are and just shake my head and chuckle. If I saw you guys on the street I would of course throw you a penny or discuss Bukowski or whatever "realist" writers you enjoy, but ultimately I would be able to tell within ten seconds if you're an Oxbridge grad and would dismiss you as a potential source of good company if you are not. I never thought I'd know what it was like to be objectively better than somebody else, for the value of my existence to be superior to the value of a stranger's, but now I do and I've never been happier. People are awed by power and prestige. All I need to do is mention the university I attended (if only for a year) and they immediately begin to hunch and look at their feet because they know they are in the presence of greatness.
>>
>>8872856
You can gey fired pretty easily just for not being "productive" enough. Of course they won't tell you its because you took vacation time. They'll wait several months and then say you weren't productive enough.

I working today despite the fact that I should be taking off because my boss said "We want this stuff done by Friday the 23rd," and I'm afraid of what might happen if I don't deliver.
>>
>>8872918
So quit and work somewhere else?
>>
File: 1447597213246s.jpg (3KB, 125x83px) Image search: [Google]
1447597213246s.jpg
3KB, 125x83px
>>8872876
>>8872898
>implying everyone on this board had an opportunity to study in the US

>>8872888
>trying this hard to give the impression of being successful
>spending your evening arguing with a bunch of autists on 4chan
something doesn't add up because you obviously don't have your shit together and you seem to have no idea how a modern workplace functions.

nice trips senpai
>>
>>8872924
You are seriously irritating. Don't you have a game of hackysack to be playing on the campus lawn?
>>
>>8872897
Anon literally said military spend hours on their phones, other anon mentions he only works when boss is there. Most workers are not in full view of their supervisor at all times. I know you cannot manage to get away from 'boss' in your dad's garage but the fact of the matter is its on you bud. No ones buying your excuse for not having the time to accomplish that little dream of yours. Especially if it's writing.
>>
>>8872897
If your just pretending to work anyway, why not just write during that time? Have another window of important work related shit you can open up if your boss walks by. I mean, right now I'm browsing /lit/ pretending to work. I might as well just be writing the next great American novel.
>>
>>8872931
You're a fucking idiot. George Saunders was forced to write during his work hours and he admitted he was allocated to the lowest position on the totem pole and ostrichsized by his coworkers after they found out. Jeffrey Eugenides tried to write on his job and was fired for doing so.
>>
>>8872935
Because you're often seated in the middle of an open-plan office with people walking by all day, people talking loudly, your boss prowling around, and so on. It's not as if you have your own comfy office and can type away pretending to write. In an office you're usually surrounded by people due to rent and space issues.
>>
>>8872928

He is right in some sense. This workers as slaves mentality won't end without protest, without people collectively not taking shit and just quitting when their boss acts like a cunt.
>>
>>8872411
Not my diary, desu

:(
>>
>>8872941
But that won't happen, because people are rightly too proud to quit their job and take welfare payments due to their principles. We Whites are a stubborn lot more than willing to take out or unhappiness on ourselves rather than express our anger outwardly. And there will always be a ready supply of stolid drones who simply repeat ad nauseum the phrases which keep the machine running, e.g. "suck it up", "toughen up" and so on.
>>
>>8872705
The term literally comes from the of chattel slavery. Former slaves used the term.
>>
File: John_Dewey_cph.3a51565.jpg (604KB, 1081x1476px) Image search: [Google]
John_Dewey_cph.3a51565.jpg
604KB, 1081x1476px
>>8872788
>>8872799
>>8872813
This is my favorite meme.

You make papa John Dewey happy as a clam.
>>
>>8872924
I'm making decent money given that I just graduated, working at a somewhat impressive looking job where I'm using my degree. Jobs aren't that easy to find, especially jobs where you actually use your college degree. Most of my friends work at Staples or Wawa or some shit like that. If I quit, I'll be in the same boat as them.

Fear of shame from peers and family, fear of wasting my college degree, ambition, and fear of not making enough cash to secure a decent future for myself all keep me in the job I'm at. The problem is that I know I have a relatively good job for this time in my life, but I'm still miserable doing it. This is just the way the system works. You work hard to get a good job and then everyone tells you how lucky you are to have it while your considering suicide.

My dream is to save up enough to buy a decent sized plot of land, build a cabin, install solar panels and go off the grid. Spend my days hunting, fishing, maintaining the land, and writing. That's the only solution I can think of that could make me genuinely happy.
>>
>>8872963
Dewey was when pragmatism went bad! Go fuck yourself!
>>
If you actually enjoy writing, why not work for a trade magazine or a newspaper?

I write for a pharmaceuticals magazine, and though the work isn't as rewarding as my freelance political journalism or my novels (all unfinished), I at least write for a living.
>>
File: George_Dewey.jpg (60KB, 571x328px) Image search: [Google]
George_Dewey.jpg
60KB, 571x328px
>>8872967
>he cares about ideology
Dewey was one of the best things to happen to my country. I'll fitgh yuo cunt.
>>
>>8872940
I have a cubicle. People walk by but they never really take a good hard look at what I'm working on. My job involves some writing anyway some if they just see Word open and a bunch of text they'll likely just assume its work-related.

Basically I'm just trying to talk myself into writing while at work.
>>
>>8872957

Former van rental worker here. The boss at that place was a real dick. He would give out horrific amounts of abuse for pretty much any perceived failing. The place also worked as a mechanics garage and a dealership, so there were quite a few employees. Turnover was very high because he was such a prick.

The guy who worked there the longest (3 years) was among the most beaten down people I'd ever met. He would be given a torrent of abuse, meekly take it, and go about his day mumbling little capitalistic feel good phrases to himself like "the early bird catches the worm" as he went about his work for the rest of the day.

I distinctly remember one morning where I was talking to him and he was complaining about the boss. He was saying that if the boss came in and gave him any shit today he'd leave on the spot. The boss of course game in and started ranting at the guy for fucking up a car sale, and that he was spending too much time talking to other co-workers and not enough time working and made him move his desk away from mine to the other side of the room, as if he was a disobedient school child.

Most of the rest of the people who worked there would just leave or argue back at the boss until relations got so bad that they were fired. I drew a personal line in the sand that I would quit if ever I was personally insulted and did so. That guy won't ever do that.
>>
>>8872968
How do you go about getting a job like that without prior experience? Can you just submit your writing and get hired? Genuinely want to know because I'd like to write for a living.
>>
>>8872966
Brother, sometimes you have just to be b urself. See the world, go wild, have sex, get drunk, stay up and watch the horizon, dance like nobody is watching, burn the candle at both ends, enjoy your youth, go crazy, wear mismatching socks, take a road trip just because. Love, laugh and live! You're worth it ;)
>>
>>8872957
>>8872987

I forgot what the point of that was when writing, namely yeah, there are people who will take literally any shit thrown at them and just get beaten down.
>>
>>8872968
>>8872988
I work in the industry.

Either study journalism in college or apply for an MA in Journalism or earn a certificate from some kind of journalism school. The most important thing is getting some internships and having a portfolio that you can show to potential employers. Having a social media profile is very important also.
>>
File: 1474292124964.jpg (125KB, 662x993px) Image search: [Google]
1474292124964.jpg
125KB, 662x993px
>>8872941
>without people collectively not taking shit
Thank God then that the political establishment has spent the past 20 years erasing the power of unions to organise labour.
>>
>>8872979
I don't give a fuck about your specific situation Gordie
>>
>>8872752
>Work before capitalism was more conceptually complex, and involved things like civic engagement, exhausting but rewarding effort, real "care" about things.

This sounds like a bunch of bullshit
>>
>>8872998
Are most offices really open nowadays? I've worked in a couple offices and they all have cubicles.
>>
Personally, I've really come to respect the bums and slackers of the world. People who are content to bounce between shitty low end jobs with just enough money for rent and weed. I've met a lot of people in bars who just wait tables or work retail and spend their free time playing music with friends and getting high. I wish I didn't care about my family and didn't have any ambition so I could just be happy drifting aimlessly through life.
>>
>>8872634
>>8872634
>>8872634
>>8872634
>>
>>8872988
Most people at my magazine either had a science degree and demonstrated writing ability with a portfolio - preferably consisting of published pieces (most of mine were articles written for my University newspaper). My boss had a creative writing degree and got a job at a random confectionery magazine before switching to pharmaceuticals.

The most important thing is to have a portfolio.

I'm currently trying to break into political journalism by getting a few freelance articles published, but it's coming up with the ideas.
>>
>>8873004
More and more offices are being "modernized" and are thus more "casual" in terms of officewear and also the layout of the office floor. The theory is that blurring the boundary between workplace and private life makes people happier, which means quirky table tennis boards in the office, fewer cubicles, more denim and flannel and more outings with the gang at the local sports bar.
>>
>>8872993
Is creative writing minor good enough? I don't want to go back to school.
>>
>>8873046
A huge pro-tip about the adult world is that what employers really care about is experience and evidence that you give a shit. At the moment you don't appear to be able to prove either. What I would recommend is looking around for some journalism certificate courses or, even better, contacting the editor of a regional paper or local trade magazine and ask them if they can advise you as to how to get into the industry. Offer to work for free for a month if you can afford it. Being able to write about how great you are at writing and how ambitious you are means zilch. But wages in journalism are plummeting and job security is very scarce these days. It's a dying industry, and if you want to make good money you'll be competing against people who attended NYU and studied for a MA in journalism and bagged internships at large publications or newswires each summer.
>>
>>8872841

teach community college composition you pussy.
>>
>>8873078
*draws switchknife*

The goddamn HECK did you just say!?!?
>>
File: 220px-Sopranosfinale.jpg (8KB, 220x124px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Sopranosfinale.jpg
8KB, 220x124px
tfw just got promoted to $500k/yr at my triple integrals job
>>
>>8872924

>(((free))) market ideologues actually believe this
>>they call people who disagree sheltered
>>
>>8873084

Great, now you can retire after a couple years.

Or will you keep going until you're a self important fat old man who think's he's better than others because he moved some digits around on a computer for half of his life?
>>
>>8872938
Ok? Its not a method for career advancement in that workplace and it's not an easy lifestyle, it's a way to support yourself and write at the same time. You self defeating nerds daydream of a life where you can write all day instead of just writing all day. You cannot really make your point citing successful authors who actually chose to write during their work time.
>>
>>8872676
Commit crime or win some sort of lottery (stock, actual lotteries, lawsuits, etc)
>>
>>8873079

*teleports to high location ur present power level does not permit u to access*

come see me when ur power level increases, kid
>>
File: mathphd.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>>8873091
ur just mad cuz it was 300k starting
>>
>>8873097
Yes but the thing is they didn't write anything worthwhile during this time. Name ONE writer who did, I dare you.
>>
>>8873193
Faulkner wrote As I Lay Dying during his work hours
>>
File: 1473454606150.jpg (42KB, 720x743px) Image search: [Google]
1473454606150.jpg
42KB, 720x743px
>>
>>8872690
Fully automated luxury communism
>>
File: 1402936405041.jpg (56KB, 356x374px) Image search: [Google]
1402936405041.jpg
56KB, 356x374px
>>8872993
>Having a social media profile is very important also
Looks like I'm crossing this profession off the list.
>>
>>8873287
Journalism nowadays is all about clickbait and social media ads, you are literally trash if you want to do that.
>>
>>8873228
He had already written a sizeable portion while living as a NEET after quitting the post office job and living in New Orleans and Paris. He then """""""worked""""""" a night shift wherein all he had to do was load a furnace before retreating to an office and writing for six hours.

Name one example which is representative of the average job.
>>
>not posting the bukowski quote

youre filthy
>>
>>8873339
THOSE GOAL POSTS

My dude, I wouldn't have even given you the satisfaction of a name because all you're doing is excusing yourself from action. But I'm glad the other anon did because we've got it, you don't have it in you to be a writer. You'd rather contemplate 'what should have been' if not for this cruel capitalist world. Maybe you'll jot something down after retirement, if you make it to then.
>>
>>8872690
chillin, bum around, jew know
>>
File: 1448930873902.jpg (42KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1448930873902.jpg
42KB, 640x640px
>>8872639
>>8872684
Jesus that was my first thought too. I would imagine it's worth reading just so I can delicately wrap my hands around that little bo(okcover)dy.
>>
I like how NEETs hate wageslaves, yet every single one of them is entirely dependent on one to support them.
>>
>>8873416
Good job, feel smug while I enjoy the benefits from your taxes.
>>
>>8873416
The difference is that the NEET's time is his own.
>>
>>8873416
Yeah I'm sure slaves in ancient times thought the same, fuck those evil overlords they depend on me anyways :^)
>>
>>8873416
The relationship between a neet and a wageslave is much like the relationship between a roman and a german slave, only with more anime
>>
>>8873437
Well, not really, his time is his own, because he's leaching off the work of somebody else.

If said proprietor would lose his job, or die or something, the neet would be completely fucked and would probably be forced to become a wageslave of the lowest order, in order to survive.
>>
>>8873444
Well...except that the german slave would be doing actual work for the roman.
>>
>>8873451
There are countless proprietors thanks to the materialism and money is everything spook.
>>
Instead of everyone bitching about this, how can we effectuate a change assuming you all aren't just a bunch of cucks who only know how to catch the long dildo of society and whine.

Internet marketing a good thing to pour time and resources into for passive income?

That or making a mobile app is really my only low risk/ *potentially* high payoff ideas I could come up with.

Thing is, I'm 21 and stupid when it comes to finance and my only marketable abilities are computer science, programming, web design, small game dev (garry's mod and stuff) and my moderately above average writing ability (which needs lots of improvement)

How the fuck do you avoid this shit. I would honestly be content with 40k a year if I can make it passive or work a few hours a week maintaining a site/product/service and fuck around the rest of the time.

Ideas brothers?
>>
>>8873416
You act like we don't realize this, sorry you weren't invited to this side of the party my dude :/
>>
>>8873554
I've been a neet in my life, it was a actually a kind of sad and pathetic existence. Sorry you don't have the fortitude to break out of it.
>>
>>8872411
Most of Kafka's work.
>>
>>8873556
Sorry you didn't have the fortitude to absorb unlimited amount of literature, philosophy, history, languages or literally anything due to the unlimited free information on the internet.
>>
>>8873451
>tfw I can't escape this NEET nightmare

Why won't anyone hire me?
>>
>>8873575
Why can't you let go of the retarded societal dogmas that you need to make money and buy shit to be worth of anything.
>>
>>8873567

But...I do have that.
>>
>>8873575
Imagine you're interviewing yourself for a job.

Why wouldn't you hire you?
>>
>>8873587
>its capitalism that makes people feel like shit for sitting around all day jerking off onto themselves
>>
>>8873556
I suppose some people (you, for example) don't have the strength to handle such a lifestyle. My NEET years were without question my happiest. My only dream in life is to retire as early as possible so I can have that sense of freedom I had as a NEET.
>>
>>8873546
lets all join together in a union of egoists where we rob banks and throw grenades at police
>>
>>8872788
It doesn't matter whether you're actually that husserl guy or just memeing.

You're my new favorite anime character.
>>
>>8873297
>I browse reddit and facebook newsfeed and this qualifies me to tell you 'bout REAL journalism
I bet you don't have a single subscription to any print media
>>
>>8873650
Print media will die or adapt, you won't make money with real journalism.
>>
>>8873567
Stop pretending you don't spend 8 hours a day alternating between weed, shota, and dark souls iii
>>
>>8873659
I'm not a teenager any more, I don't even have any video games installed.
I do fap once a day for like 30minutes though.
>>
>>8873659
> implying I'm not quickly on my way to the new form of sagehood by those means
>>
>>8872798
Do you think Pynchon likes his burritos with the red sauce or the green?
>>
>>8872918
>working
>Shitposting on a Cantonese peacock grooming forum
>>
>>8872918
They rarely ever fire you for the reason they say they're firing you.

In my experience with firing people, especially younger people, the real reason is we're firing you because you're an unlikable little shit. We're saying we're firing you because you didn't meet job expectations.
>>
>>8872703

I voluntarily work only ~20 hours a week, in a kitchen. This is enough for me to live on AND pay for tuition. I go to school full time and have very energy-intensive hobbies. I spend much more time recuperating from those activities than I do for work.

If you're 'forced' to work 60 hours a week it's likely because you've made some very poor decisions and/or have terrible money-management skills.
>>
>>8872798
>He wrote it while living in a secluded cabin in Skjolden.

No, he didn't. He finished the manuscript when he was a POW in Italy.
>>
>>8873886
Do you live in Eastern Europe or something?
>>
>>8873926

No, I live in the US, Washington State.
>>
>>8872767
Why did you spoil Hegel? Is there some kind of dumb Hegel meme around here?
>>
>>8873886
Fucking sweatshop workers really need to learn to manage their finances.
>>
>>8872411
Or, how about anything that feels like the wageslave life? Doesn't have to be about working at all.
>>
>>8873886
you idiot.
people really are stupid.
You work 20 hours and you can pay for food and tuition. That's great. What happens when you want to buy a house someday? Or a car? Or get married/have kids? Or you get run over by a car and have to get surgery?

You can't just make enough to "get by". You need to have enough money to survive for 2 or 3 years minimum in the event you lose your job and can't work.
>>
>>8873941
How much do you get paid? Sounds like a sweet gig
>>
>>8874121

I have health insurance and enough in savings to cover expenses for 4 months in the event that I lose my job, enough time to find a new one.

I didn't say my situation was ideal or particularly stable, but I am not working to the bone just to get by, which is what was implied was needed for lower wage earners.

>>8874134

$12/hour +tips.
>>
>>8874121
>What happens when you want to buy a house someday? Or a car?
Why do I need to buy any of these things? These all increase my cost of living while providing limited value.
>Or get married/have kids?
After I graduate I will be able to provide for a child. My wife would need to work but I don't require a trophy wife to show off.
>Or you get run over by a car and have to get surgery?
There are public hospitals that will take care of you no matter what in an emergency, I also have subsidized insurance now and will likely be able to afford my own insurance after I graduate.
>>
>>8872411

NEET here. A few years ago my friends wanted me to work and live paycheck to paycheck instead of living at home with my mom and enjoying my life. They wanted me to live in an apartment barely able to afford anything and work all the time.

I'm a little miffed at my friend though because he wanted me to get a job, said he'd help me at his work where we'd be working together, and then left a week later telling me that I should go work there because they need drivers despite the fact that he knows I don't have a license.

Working was shit. Especially for other people.
>>
File: 1451912639645.jpg (108KB, 764x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1451912639645.jpg
108KB, 764x1024px
>>8872705
>>
>>8874208
>After I graduate
And there we go
>>
>>8874208
How old will you be when you graduate?
Kids are expensive anon.
It's too late to start saving up once you have one.
>>
>>8873659

Man tbqh that does sound pretty comfy... I'm taking a month off for holidaying but I wouldn't mind a week of old school kicking back.
>>
>>8874278

>breeding

If you're concerned with progenitization, donate to a sperm bank or find a woman of craiglist that wants an nsa liaison for the purposes is having a kid (this is how one of my friends was conceived). Children are a time and money sink. Don't let nature play get tricks on you.
>>
File: 1458679222887.jpg (88KB, 454x340px) Image search: [Google]
1458679222887.jpg
88KB, 454x340px
>>8874358
>>
>>8874269
I see my university studies as necessary to my development. The guided learning experience has allowed me to gain a better understanding of many topics. While I'm not a great student I have a wide range of knowledge and experience.
>>8874278
I'll be 27 when I receive my bachelor's. After that I will likely enroll in a graduate program to receive my PhD. My estimate is 31 years old to finish education.

Kids are expensive but the cost of living and any potential partners will be low because we don't buy unnecessary goods.

As an engineering student I will likely be paid a salary during graduate school which will grow my savings.
>>
>>8874382
ugh. You are so blinded by capitalism. I bet you voted trump. Ha.
>>
>>8874382
>>8874396
fucking lmao. I love it when capitalcucks get btfod
>>
>might abuse cold medicine
Ok that's pretty and obscure but true insight
>>
>>8874396
What about me makes me a capitalist? I study at an university for the sake of learning. In a command economy I would attempt the same thing.
>>
>>8872841
>>
File: 1480986107558.png (821KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
1480986107558.png
821KB, 750x500px
>>8872411
I think you know the answer, OP.
>>
A society can only support NEETS when it has a big enough surplus of wealth to prop up unproductive individuals.

Regardles, you're living off of somebody else's labor. I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with that. I'm typing this on an iPhone that I can only afford because of exploited labor/resources. It's merely the context I've been born into. So if you're lucky enough to live without having to work, then great—spend your time productively and work to contribute something useful to society.

I guess what bothers me about NEETS is that they're often (at least the ones I know): 1) Depressed (despite being part of the most privileged class of people in human history), 2) Hedonistic, 3) Shallow in their political/cultural concerns (bitching about the exploitation of the working class, but unwilling to actually engage in any sort of work that would benefit these individuals)

Yeah, there's not too much that's redeeming about working some mindless wage-slave job, but there's a benefit to learning self-sacrifice and commitment, especially if you're working to provide for a family.
>>
Not only is wage labor modern slavery, but corporations have some stalinist cults of personality going on. I see people quoting our dear CEO before presentations or talking about his last message, directives and shit. There's even some book by him we're supposed to read.
I will get enough money to live from rents eventually and i'll buy my freedom.
>>
>>8872705
If you really feel trapped , there are a shit-ton of so-called alternative living communities all over the world, mostly western Europe and the US.

http://www.ic.org/directory/maps/
>>
>>8872411
dunno if it's online, looks like amazon has it, but you may want to check out pic related. it's relevant to your OP but a bit of a different tack
>>
>>8872705
Pure ideology.
>>
You could be making money while shitposting, but instead you're just shitposting. Sad!
>>
>>8872916
This should become a pasta
>>
>>8873886
I am triggered. What a bullshit post. How much money can you really make in a kitchen? 15 dollars an hour tops. If you're only working 20 hours a week then that's less than 15k a year. That is not nearly enough money for rent, tuition, school supplies, food, insurance, and whatever other monetary obstacles get in the way.

Many people ARE forced to work 60 hours a week, and not because of poor money management. Many people have children, family members to take care of, and were raised poor and never given the chance to go to school.

The current system IS fucked. People work more than they should have to, doing things they don't like, and make hardly enough to get buy. If you got out of your little NEET bubble you might actually learn something.
>>
>>8874721
I think it already is
>>
>>8874726
>People work more than they should have to, doing things they don't like, and make hardly enough to get buy.

You know....there are a lot of people who actually have goals and dreams, and do the work needed to do the things they really enjoy doing, and making tons of money doing it.

I don't feel very sorry for people who had 3 kids by age twenty, have no education, no goals, and bitch about how much they have to work. Like look fucker, you did pretty much everything they told you shouldn't do, and you're surprised your life sucks.

Even the fuckers without kids, working some shitty job for 50 hours a week, if you ask them what they really want to do, they probably won't even tell you because they automatically think their dreams are impossible. Fuck them too, you deserve to be where you're at with that attitude.

It's not like working towards your actual dreams and goals is a cake-walk, it's just as hard or even harder than every other thing, but at least some day you know you'll be there. And nobody I know who's tried it and failed regrets it, because at least they knew they were living the way they wanted to, and they probably learned a whole shitload along the way, and even if they didn't end up where they thought, they always turn out in a good place because they had the right attitude to start with.

But yeah though, the world is totally against you, there's no way you can succeed, and everyone who tries is just a failure automatically. Totally the way it works dude, good excuse to just quit.
>>
>>8874760

I Worked Hard To Get To Where I Am So Other People Must Not Be Working Hard: The Post

You have a specific idea of the type of person that works low-wage jobs and you can't understand that there are various reasons that people do what they do. Not everyone stuck in that position had three kids by 20, the majority of them don't bitch about how much they work, and almost all of them have goals.

Sure, there are exceptions to everything. Even so, there are far too many people in the world who work too much for too little. If you can't see that, you either live in a safety bubble or are choosing to be ignorant.
>>
>>8874812
so basically you're agreeing with me, but didn't read my post well enough to realize you do.
>>
>>8874812
>who work too much for too little.
Isn't this sort of arbitrary? I mean there is no rule of nature that declares that x amount of work should be compensated by some specific reward.
>>
>>8874829

Or that life owes you anything.
>>
>>8872690
revert back to the stone age
>>
>>8874860
you know....people worked their ass off in the stone age. Quite literally worked themselves to death all the time.
>>
>>8874866
just wanna hunt n fuk desu
>>
File: randomloottable.png (445KB, 750x376px) Image search: [Google]
randomloottable.png
445KB, 750x376px
What if my only ambition in life is to get by with the least amount of work and I never plan to have kids (Partially because I'm a homosexual), don't care about my family at all, and have very inexpensive hobbies? Is wage slavery inescapable for someone like me?
>>
>>8872676
Good point, this is what reading is all about.
>>
>>8874953

I would question whether that really is your only ambition, or just what you tell yourself to settle for, but sure, your faggy dreams can be accomplished.
>>
>>8873575
Just lie that's what i did lmao
>>
>>8874993
I mean I used to have higher ambitions, becoming a Smoke Jumper, but I was halfway through that ambition (became a Hotshot) and I realized I didn't care about it anymore, at all. It was in my grasp and I just turned it away because I was bored of it.

I've come to terms that the only thing I want is a quiet, peaceful, life. I always thought if I completed my goals I'd have that peace, but I've never felt any better even when I did accomplish something great.
>>
For all the wage""""slaves""" ITT
http://earlyretirementextreme.com
>>
>>8875110
> genuinely advising you to buy old media because it is cheaper instead of just fucking pirating
Stopped reading right there holy shit
>>
>>8874726

I make ~17/hour after tips, before tax. I work more hours between quarters and during the summer. My health insurance is subsidised. I rent a house with 5 other people. I absolutely make enough to cover my expenses and then some. I'm by no stretch of the imagination a 'NEET' as I am 1) employed and 2) in the process of earning my bachelors degree.

As I said, if you NEED to work 60+ hours a week 'just to get by' in America then you need to reexamine your life choices and maybe consider filing for bankruptcy.
>>
>>8875032
>I've come to terms that the only thing I want is a quiet, peaceful, life.

Yeah, until you get that and you're bored out of your mind with it.

>but I've never felt any better even when I did accomplish something great.

Well figure out what it is that you actually want to accomplish
>>
>>8875244
Why do I have to accomplish something?
>>
>>8875304
because you want to.
>>
File: 1474141329775.jpg (368KB, 2048x990px) Image search: [Google]
1474141329775.jpg
368KB, 2048x990px
>>8872841
So you're finally being forced to pull your own weight instead of cruising along on some cushy overpaid job that a Wikipedia article could make obsolete.

Join the army or something. Let's see how far your philosophizing gets you when you're staring down the rifle of some crazed dejected goat herder in some god forsaken desert.
>>
>>8875244
It's very easy to alleviate boredom. We have the internet and unlimited media to consume. If you're starting to find that too passive you can take up a creative hobby like writing or playing an instrument.

If you want to cure boredom with stress and misery you just engage in a romantic relationship.

Then after a bit you return to your boredom and love it again.
>>
The thing that stops me from working is I know I'll never be able to afford a house and a family and that's what I want. I wish I could just knock a girl up by accident sometimes. My old childhood friend knocked up a German girl now he's in Germany working as a carpenter. They sounds like life to me. That's what I need to do
>>
>>8872799
thank you for this
>>
>>8872693
but that's the thing anon wagecucks are seriously deprived of contemplating either themselves or those who are in a similar trap. and it's quite literally this deprivation of healthy self analysis which constitutes the essence of the wageslave.

instead they're pushed into a closed circuit thought pattern of... like blaming the boss, numbing themselves etc. this is actually similar to the way depression works. in industrial world depression is a tool.

they eventually need a mirror and it's some other who reflects on them their misery. also maybe it's that when you aren't physically suffering yourself you are prone to notice the suffering around you. it's like a 2nd degree, more distant level of suffering but a suffering nevertheless. no one lives a struggle free life. cf. empedocles's sword.
>>
For the whiney cunts itt that seem to think holding a job is tantamount to slavery:

https://ourworldindata.org/a-history-of-global-living-conditions-in-5-charts/
>>
And there's this for the others that don't see any problems with the current employment system:

http://www.thestraddler.com/201715/piece2-print.php

Trade-offs?
>>
File: IMG_0602.jpg (59KB, 442x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0602.jpg
59KB, 442x600px
>>8872411
what about miss lonelyhearts
>>
>>8872989
And please, if you're doing this, fucking do this in your own country or even better in your own city. don't be one those people who go abroad and get exotic wild and when they come back they're all i-did-this-and-that but their substance never changes because they never chased their freedom back in their own home instead which is x999 harder to do
>>
>>8873460
Well no. After your mom dies or loses her job (we all know your dad left) you're out of proprietors.
Thread posts: 207
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.