/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you've read Infinite Jest twice, and yet, you now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1459561090920.jpg (56KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
1459561090920.jpg
56KB, 500x385px
>tfw you've read Infinite Jest twice, and yet, you now lack the attention to read ten pages in one sitting

ITT: Post literary feels.
>>
>>8871408
>spend a few days reading something
>sit down to write something of your own
>you have completely absorbed the style of the author you were reading
>>
>>8871436
that's a great feel
just do it with like three more writers and your set
>>
>>8871439
eh. I've spent a long time attempting to develop a style of my own, and it bothers me when this happens
>>
>get used to a long book and read at a good pace
>finish it and start something new
>takes forever to read a few pages and it's harder to pay attention
>>
>>8871436
>>8871439
>>8871444

That just means you've got no talent, so your mind leeches on the talent of others.

Don't worry about it, I'm sure you can practice to make up for your talent-vaccum.
>>
>>8871408
This is probably a really good thing: your brain can be tired like anything else in your body and it's probably good to give it a break after you've exerted it a lot. You can't very well constantly exercise without taking a rest, neither can you constantly do mental labor without expecting to just get fatigued -- the problem, BTW, with most so-called "modern education".
>>
>>8871460
It's not really that, I'm fairly sure I can write well, it's more like being overly impressionable. If I don't read anything for a while I revert back to my personal style.

Same thing happens with political stuff, it's a weakness of character or personality if anything.
>>
File: 10636v1-orig.jpg (260KB, 721x484px) Image search: [Google]
10636v1-orig.jpg
260KB, 721x484px
>Completely forgo fiction 'cause its all a pack of lies
>Non Fiction has larger words and slower going
>>
>>8871476

>fiction is all a pack of lies

Welcome to /lit/, friendo!
>>
>>8871466

>weakness of character or personality

Yeah, I can't think of many great writers with a weakness of character/personality. If your mind takes on a voice that easily, you truly have no voice at all.
>>
>>8871495
I don't aspire to be a great writer, like you say it requires strength of character.

I write because there is something I am trying to understand/express and I haven't found another way to do it than writing.

It isn't about not having a voice, it's about not being able to properly hold onto it.
>>
>>8871495
I disagree. Big writers are majorly influenced by others. You read Crime and Punishment and you can see traces of all sorts, Kafka, Orwell, Woolf etc. Same with Madame Bovary.

If you're starting writing you're going to write like others its natural. I can't remember this one writer maybe Capote who would type out short stories of other writers just to understand their prose better
>>
>>8871510

I guess I was projecting my own desires onto your posts. Good luck with your writing
>>
>>8871460
>special snowflake unwilling to acknowledge influence
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.