[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some works I can read that can rationalize/justify sexual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: in-bed-1893.jpg (887KB, 3176x2465px) Image search: [Google]
in-bed-1893.jpg
887KB, 3176x2465px
What are some works I can read that can rationalize/justify sexual attraction? I've reached the point that I think attraction to someone really amounts to nothing. I find it hard to understand how so many poets wrote about beauty and such when its really such a base thing. Think about it this way: when you are attracted to a qt and want to go and talk to her what more are you doing than being strung by urges way beyond your control. Someone could argue that these urges are good since they bring us closer together but I would counter by saying that they also do a lot of harm to those who weren't fortunate in the gene-pool lottery. Before someone brings it up I don't consider myself a bad looking guy and have had several girlfriends. I just don't know what to do about the fact that every time a girl falls for me if I'm not attracted to her I hurt her. Do you guys ever feel the same? Any philosophers/books that can help me see the possible good in attraction?
>>
>>8870112
You don't need to rationalize or justify sexual attraction. You're a human being.
>>
File: 1482111433990.jpg (39KB, 511x421px) Image search: [Google]
1482111433990.jpg
39KB, 511x421px
>>8870112
>they also do a lot of harm to those who weren't fortunate in the gene-pool lottery
stop reading there
>>
>>8870131
why
>>
>blablabla im a normie blablabla
>>
What are some works I can read that can rationalize/justify finding beauty in nature? I've reached the point that I think attraction to a beautiful sunset really amounts to nothing. I find it hard to understand how so many poets wrote about the ocean and mountains and such when its really such a base thing. Think about it this way: when you see rolling plains and beautiful clouds and want to go outside and watch the beauty of nature for hours what more are you doing than being strung by urges way beyond your control. Someone could argue that these urges are good since they bring us closer together with the world but I would counter by saying that they also do a lot of harm because all that time is unproductive. Before someone brings it up I don't consider myself an industrialist and have had several vacation cabins. I just don't know what to do about the fact that every time I step outside in a cool rain I'm haunted by thoughts that the world may be a wonderful place. Do you guys ever feel the same? Any philosophers/books that can help me see the possible good in this pointless distraction?
>>
Are you 16 or something
>>
>>8870112
Anon, ignore all the other replies belittling you and providing no answer to your question.

Instead, go read The Symposium by Plato. Now. It addresses the very problem you stated.
>>
File: death-of-socrates.jpg (1MB, 2235x1470px) Image search: [Google]
death-of-socrates.jpg
1MB, 2235x1470px
>>8870167
I expected this much really its no big deal. I'm currently making my way through the dialogues actually but am in the middle of Phaedo, I won't miss anything by skipping the others?
>>
>>8870145
>Someone could argue that these urges are good since they bring us closer together with the world but I would counter by saying that they also do a lot of harm because all that time is unproductive.
I actually like the point you make but you lost me here, how is this the equivalent of what was said?
>>
>>8870188
its not, i just didn't know what to put there, im tired
>>
The Red Queen by Matt Ridley
Sperm Wars by Robin Baker
>>
>>8870112
notes from underground
>>
File: 220px-Schopenhauer.jpg (10KB, 220x263px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Schopenhauer.jpg
10KB, 220x263px
If, bearing this in mind, one considers the important role which love plays in all its phases and degrees, not only in dramas and novels, but also in the real world, where next to one’s love of life it shows itself as the strongest and most active of all motives; if one considers that it constantly occupies half the capacities and thoughts of the younger part of humanity, and is the final goal of almost every human effort; that it influences adversely the most important affairs; that it hourly disturbs the most earnest occupations; that it sometimes deranges even the greatest intellects for a time; that it is not afraid of interrupting the transactions of statesmen or the investigations of men of learning; that it knows how to leave its love-letters and locks of hair in ministerial portfolios and philosophical manuscripts; that it knows equally well how to plan the most complicated and wicked affairs, to dissolve the most important relations, to break the strongest ties; that life, health, riches, rank, and happiness are sometimes sacrificed for its sake; that it makes the otherwise honest, perfidious, and a man who has been hitherto faithful a betrayer, and, altogether, appears as a hostile demon whose object is to overthrow, confuse, and upset everything it comes across: if all this is taken into consideration one will have reason to ask —“Why is there all this noise? Why all this crowding, blustering, anguish, and want? Why should such a trifle play so important a part and create disturbance and confusion in the well-regulated life of mankind?” But to the earnest investigator the spirit of truth gradually unfolds the answer: it is not a trifle one is dealing with; the importance of love is absolutely in keeping with the seriousness and zeal with which it is prosecuted. The ultimate aim of all love-affairs, whether they be of a tragic or comic nature, is really more important than all other aims in human life, and therefore is perfectly deserving of that profound seriousness with which it is pursued.
As a matter of fact, love determines nothing less than the establishment of the next generation. The existence and nature of the dramatis personae who come on to the scene when we have made our exit have been determined by some frivolous love-affair. As the being, the existentia of these future people is conditioned by our instinct of sex in general, so is the nature, the essentia, of these same people conditioned by the selection that the individual makes for his satisfaction, that is to say, by love, and is thereby in every respect irrevocably established. This is the key of the problem. In applying it, we shall understand it more fully if we analyse the various degrees of love, from the most fleeting sensation to the most ardent passion; we shall then see that the difference arises from the degree of individualisation of the choice.
>>
>>8870273
I refuse to read Schopenhauer and Nietzsche on anything romantically related, Ill probably agree with the dude and end up miserable just like them
>>
>>8870297
You should read it as its rather an optimistic note on the subject
>>
>>8870171
Finish the Phaedo. Then you can tackle The Symposium. Done that, you can dig deeper into Plato. Absolute must-reads are in no particular order:
The Republic
Apology
Meno
Theaetetus
Parmenides (This is Plato's most extensive work on the Forms.)
Gorgias
Euthyphro

Happy reading, Anon. :)
>>
Attraction and love are strong feelings, but they aren't rational. Everyone gives into them because they feel good, despite not being logical.
>>
>>8870192
So everything you said was dribble got it
>>8870236
Thanks sir
>>8870249
I've read this. How do you suppose it relates? I thought the book spoke of anxiety and the weird laws and rationale which the underground man created from it. It speaks about the uselessness of rationalizing everything and overthinking. For instance, when he meets the girl for the second time he blows it completely. It was right in front of him and he ruins it by insulting her. Is this what you mean?
>>8870273
Wow thanks for the post. When I saw Schopy I was sure this was going to be depressing. Participation in the game of love or not you can still appreciate the power of attraction in the fact that it is the only thing which has necessitated your existence.
>>8870314
Thanks man. I've read the Republic and am now going through the other stuff. Really looking forward to Symposium.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.