[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1482297316001.jpg (156KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1482297316001.jpg
156KB, 800x450px
What makes a novel """"""comfy"""""?
>>
>>8869775
Being written by Steinbeck
>>
>>8869775
what is that image? It's so familiar but I can't place what it is.
>>
>>8869778
paper cups
>>
>>8869777
This. I don't like Steinbeck, but the guy knew a thing or two about comfy prose.
>>
>>8869777
>>8869783
Can you say more about this? I ask because I've read a few things by Steinbeck now and I find him to be truly awful, but people seem to like him, or at least some aspects of his writing, and that makes me think I'm just missing something.
>>
>>8869788
did you grow up in the american plains/southwest?
no?

that's why
>>
>>8869788
No man, like I said, I hat Stienbeck. I loath him in fact, but the way he writes can make even an idiot understand the literary tools he uses. If people didn't see the foreshadowing of Lennie's death in the very first chapter of Of Mice and Men, they have to be some kind of stupid. Basically easy reading = comfy.
I find Nabokov comfy, but not in the easy reading way. Rather, it's comfy because of his poetic language, and sing songy hum.
>>
>>8869788
Have you read "Cannery Row" it's nothing but pure comfy enjoyment. Except for when Doc found that girls head in the tide pool.

It may not be the best book in the world, or your favorite, but there is just something so genuine and pure in his writing that it's hard to not feel comfy and it's hard to put down.
>>
>>8869815
I can understand not caring for him, but I don't understand why you would hate, especially, loathe him.
>>
>>8869815
okay, i see.

>>8869822
i haven't read that but i have it somewhere. Maybe I will have to read that next.

>>8869826
This may simply be because of the books of his I've read (Grapes of Wrath, Moon is Down, Mice and Men, maybe 1 or 2 others that I can't remember right now), but it's hard for me not to view Steinbeck as doing anything other than writing propaganda for New Deal era Democrats. I found Grapes of Wrath particularly irritating in that regard; I can't see that as anything other than "Why You Should Support FDR: The Novel." I don't want this to sound like /pol/ tier, fuck leftists retarded bullshit, but it just seems so obvious to me that he's up to some cheap political stunts that I can't take him seriously. I would love to be convinced that I'm a massive pleb retard in this regard so i can change my mind and read him again but it has yet to happen
>>
File: vapvapvap.jpg (94KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
vapvapvap.jpg
94KB, 1000x1000px
>>8869778
90s vaporwave cawfee cup
>>
>>8869826
Basically what >>8869850 said. Boring, slow paced propaganda about dirty lads who work on farms. It's just not my cup of tea. I enjoy imaginative adventures.
>>
>>8869908
No, I can understand that. It's the energy spent on the emotion of hatred and loathing which I don't understand.
>>
>>8869914
It's packed up anger from my AP lit days in highschool when we spent months deciphering Steinbeck. I get really antsy when I have to read something I don't like, but spending that much time on every chapter, paragraph, small sentence of Stienbeck's work has my despising every piece of anything he's ever touched. The aggression that fills me every time I read his name is pain steaking. The anger I feel writing his name is unbearable. To hear his name, or have it roll off of my very own tongue is absolute defilement of everything I stand for.
>>
>>8869856
green tea
>>
>>8869908
That's why I love fantasy. Dirty lads who work on farms get attacked by some evil shit and end up becoming great wizards or knights.
>>
>>8870240
Dude, you need to go to therapy. That's not normal. Also the American education system sucks and needs an overhaul if they are traumatizing the kids to the point of getting severe PTSD you see in people coming from the war zones.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.