[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My friend and I have conceptualized an idea for a play that we're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Shakes.jpg (295KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Shakes.jpg
295KB, 1200x1200px
My friend and I have conceptualized an idea for a play that we're going to begin writing probably sometime in Spring and I wanted to share and hear opinions. I also want to know how you think the ideas succeed and how they fail.

So the play is called King Brad. The whole play is basically a send-up of Shakespearean tragedy/histories. King Brad consists of characters who all speak in iambic pentameter verse except for Brad, who speaks in prose. King Brad essentially is a libertarian who becomes king despite having no interest in helping the citizens of London or having power. Brad struggles with the requirements of the job, and is only interested in fencing.

Brad's hencheman, Friar Nick, is extremely ambitious and despises Brad's good luck and plots to murder him. When Brad and Nick face off, Brad completely disarms Nick. Instead of condemning or killing Nick, Brad bemoans his fortune and admits that he just wants out.

From there, Brad and Nick conspire to get Brad exiled from town so that Nick can be crowned king. However, as the plan unfolds Brad ends up listening and empathizing with his citizens. He bonds with some of the citizens who tell him their woes and beg him to alleviate their pain. He cannot say no due to guilt, so Brad has to figure out how to help the citizens before he follows through on his plan.

Meanwhile, Nick sees all of this and realizes that while Brad isn't ambitious, he's kind of heart and noble. Nick realizes how dehumanized he's become in his thirst for the throne and wonders if achieving his goal will only prove that he has no care for anything except himself.

That's all we have so far, let me have it.
>>
I think it's a great idea that actually didn't hurt my senses reading. Good job.
>>
Genius I can't wait till King brad enters the anals of canon.

Shakespeare is dethroned!
>>
>>8865052
>>8865060
But beyond it being a sound idea, what could be improved? What plot or character could make this even more interesting?
>>
>>8864253
Personally, I feel that transforming both the aloof and disinterested king and the classic villain into good guys will ruin most of the comic potential, but then again normies like to go awww while I get triggered that you have friends to work with on your ideas so there's that.
>>
>>8864253
does Brad at any point start talking in meter, or is he just stuck an alien?
>>
I don't know how this works as Shakespeare, the plays about English kings are essentially "Tudor" (it goes back further but anyhow) propaganda establishing the legitimacy of the present monarch. Legitimacy is indeed the primary concern of these plays, being nice to peasants or caring about Londoners never even registers as a positive personality trait. You can have the legitimate king not really wanting to recognise it with 'comical consequences' but Shakespeare already did that, its King Henry IV, Part One.
>>
>>8866117
I'd just keep Brad and Nick as they are - it would be funnier, as this anon >>8866232 said.

Maybe you could have them accidentally screw-up their way into helping the townspeople, and making them love Brad?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.