[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get across a "substantive" point without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: CoolIdeaStiltedDialogue.png (713KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
CoolIdeaStiltedDialogue.png
713KB, 600x480px
I find it difficult, when writing, to make any kind of philosophical or substantive statement without my narration getting too lengthy or my dialogue getting all stilted. I've heard "show," don't tell but the problem with showing is people decide for themselves what you mean instead of taking the idea or lesson as you intended it. Death of the author and all that.

It's a quite difficult balance to strike.

How do you make a point without stilting your dialogue or beating readers over the head? I'm aware of the advice of "don't try to make points" but pretend for a moment that it's essential: How do you pull it of?

Any tips?
Thanks.
>>
>>8855368
Stretch it out by laying lots of groundwork in the "show don't tell" method.
Or give it piece by piece instead of all at once.
Or tell it in a fit of passion. People speak differently when they are angry and trying to explain something, or depressed or whatever.
A wise old person talking to a young person is a bit of a trope but it works.

The movie Winter Sleep manages it pretty well, maybe it could help you.

Something I've noticed is that the character's heart should be bigger than their head if you want their philosophical soliloquies and diatribes to be taken seriously or mean anything. They have to be a (((person))), fleshed out, a part of a world, and their philosophical statements are an examination of their world, not ours. That's how you evade the "character as a mouthpiece" trope
>>
File: The_Mouth_of_Sauron.jpg (47KB, 592x360px) Image search: [Google]
The_Mouth_of_Sauron.jpg
47KB, 592x360px
>>8855411
Good answer & Thanks for the material suggestion.
>>
>>8855368

Is this guy some kind of blatant Dr Manhattan ripoff?
>>
>>8855547
I think it is Dr.Manhattan
>>
File: 1459555274598.gif (3MB, 181x179px) Image search: [Google]
1459555274598.gif
3MB, 181x179px
>>8855566

What
>>
File: 1467913267335.jpg (54KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1467913267335.jpg
54KB, 612x612px
>>8855579
DC made Watchmen """prequels""" about the Minutemen era. Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons uninvolved. They decided to redo Doc's Minutemen look by having him still have hair. God knows why.
>>
>>8855606
Nah nigga.
The picture is from Multiversity, not Before Watchmen.
>>8855547
It's not really a rip-off, more like a direct reference
>>
File: babbybrinch.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
babbybrinch.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>8855621
>from Multiversity

Cool, didn't know about that.
>>
>>8855648
It's pretty good.
The issue the picture is from is probably the best one, you have to read all of it to understand what's going on though
>>
>>8855676
I liked Ultra Comics the most.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.