[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is literary genius synonymous with hideousness, among other things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

File: sartre_22[1].jpg (67KB, 730x732px) Image search: [Google]
sartre_22[1].jpg
67KB, 730x732px
Is literary genius synonymous with hideousness, among other things such as social ineptness and autism?

I mean, how many chad thundercock normies have you seen throughout history who have written timeless pieces?
>>
>>8855238
The vast majority of literary icons were, to some degree, tortured artists. They were addicts, they were miserable, they were reclusive, etc. I think shutting oneself away to focus on one talent is essential to becoming one of the all time greats in any academic field.
>>
>>8855238
>hideousness
"ocular health issues" FTFY
>>
>>8855238
>Chad
>normie

Go back to /r9k/, you worthless sack of shit
>>
>>8855238
>I mean, how many chad thundercock normies have you seen throughout history who have written timeless pieces?
Hemingway, Kerouac, DFW
>>
>>8855249
romantic detected
>>
>>8855258
he was also a midget
>>
>>8855238
What if Chad Thundercocks would make better writers but they're just too busy having fun IRL to ever engage writing to an autistic level like some of the greats did?
>>
This does not apply to just literature, OP. Plenty of the best scientists, mathematicians, musicians, authors, etc. have been chronically depressed, lonely, and/or autistic.

This does not mean they were ugly or anything. But one who is obsessed enough with any field to make a historical impact likely has enough mental problems (or at least deviations from what is normal) to prevent them from making strong social bonds, especially with a woman
>>
>>8855275
all Chads are alcoholic frat boys
>>
>>8855265
what (((he))) was -- is above the point
>>
Pain is literally the root of genius
>>
>>8855287
yes he is wtf

he drinks 6 nights a week while fucking blonde chicks at his party

are you retarded
>>
>>8855238
Worthless thread
>>
Genius is associated with being knowledgeable enough to eschew pleasures like sex and the company of other people

>not being transcended
>>
File: ian curtis.jpg (26KB, 600x368px) Image search: [Google]
ian curtis.jpg
26KB, 600x368px
Ian Curtis wrote iconic lyrics and poetry about depression, isolation, and loneliness but he was a completely normal, good looking guy.
>>
File: Johann_wolfgang_Goethe.jpg (3MB, 2592x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Johann_wolfgang_Goethe.jpg
3MB, 2592x3456px
>>8855238
>mfw beta OP tries to project betaness onto me
>>
>>8855261
Hemingway was a fucking hack and amateur at best

DFW literally killed himself
>>
I resent that remark entirely. Though I have known several French whores who would slice you up just fine, were you to spit your gibberish in the vicinity of their hearing. As for myself, you would first receive the the knuckles of my backhanded open slap, before my drunken fist beat you into a pulp. Everyone wants to be a f___ing critique, but no one wants to hold the bag. If it's so God D___ed easy, why don't you give it a try. But you better start with a pencil, because I don't want your delicate sensibilities shattering like that glass that you dropped when I hit you, and pummeled you into the floor like an angry mother bear protecting her young. Each one of those stories were my children, and I loved them the same. So you watch out who you think you have the right to bash, or some day you might say the wrong thing to the wrong angry bear. I'm snarling drunk, and proud of it. Oh Sh__! For God's sake. Who's the idiot know? I almost forgot you whiny kids use, what are those things called? Oh yes, those word processors, these days, wouldn't even know what it was like to mistype the last word of a page and have to throw the whole page out, if I hit you over the head with my typewriter. You know, on second thought, I'm glad I killed myself when I did. You can have the world, I'll just stay up here with my whores. Maybe you should go write something of substance, before you open your _itch mouth again. No offense to dogs or women.
>>
Wrong.

This fucker was the best playwright in history and look at him
>>
>>8855649

Errrr. Um. Beckett is great and all, but. . . um. . . Shakespeare?
>>
>>8855649
he looks like a crow. now I get why niggers say we look like birds. he looked qt when younger tho. but as we get older our noses and ears keep growing and our face caves in, making us look like birds
>>
>>8855666
>Shakespeare
garish shit
>>
>>8855275
how the fuck is DFW ugly?
>>
>>8855687
I can't believe I'm saying this on 4chan, but... raise your standards.
>>
>>8855267
What ifs get us nowhere, I could say I'd make a brilliant painter if I dropped reading and writing to practice it; but I don't, and so I'm not an amazing artist with a brush.
>>
>chads
>normie

seriously these kinds of threads should be fucking deleted holy shit
>>
But I'm a genius and also good looking?
>>
File: 120409_r22060_g2048-1200.jpg (133KB, 1200x803px) Image search: [Google]
120409_r22060_g2048-1200.jpg
133KB, 1200x803px
>>
>>8855322
>tfw we will never see a goethe in our lifetime
>>
File: 35835846835684.png (131KB, 337x245px) Image search: [Google]
35835846835684.png
131KB, 337x245px
>>8855845
>camus
>genius
>>
File: 1479409876337.jpg (83KB, 520x403px) Image search: [Google]
1479409876337.jpg
83KB, 520x403px
>>8855851
>>
>>8855238
there was two literary genius in France during the XX century : Celine and Proust. Sartre was a mediocre writer and a mediocre thinker.
>>
>>8855845
>genius
kek. he was a great writer tho.
>good looking
kek. only compared to sartre the subhuman
>>
File: Celine.jpg (16KB, 220x299px) Image search: [Google]
Celine.jpg
16KB, 220x299px
>>8856029
>>
>>8856029
>Celine
amen mon frere. all the american fucks copied his style while denying his legacy
>>
>>8856031
who do you consider genius, anon?
>>
>>8856029
ay m8 u say 1 more thing bout Sartre n ill be very very unhappy about it and prolly cry
>>
>>8855848
Part of this too is that modern culture has become genuinely dumbed down. It sounds like a cliche, but, yes, today's culture is probably stupider, more media obsessed, and with less attention span than past generations. Goethe was the first fucking super-celebrity in Europe. Why? For writing The Sorrows of Young Werther. Everyone read the book, young men even imitated Werther's dress and Goethe was a superstar. Yet can you imagine the average person today reading a book like that? a book without zombies and spells in it?

It's hard to fucking imagine someone becoming famous today for writing a fiction book with any pretensions to literary merit. The closest things we have to literary celebrity are Stephen King, John Green, and, of course, JK Rowling. Whereas Goethe was enough of an icon to comfortably be involved in science and politics too, any sane and great writers today are probably going to have to not just shun but flip off the media -- and of course with the overspecialization of the sciences, it's bye-bye Renaissance Man too. The "reclusive" writer, that is, the one who doesn't want to strike some sexy poses for the photo shoot and reveal that their secret hobby is caring for rabbits or whatever for the magazine's Q&A ...
>>
>>8855238
>I mean, how many chad thundercock normies have you seen throughout history who have written timeless pieces?
This is absolutely the worst thing about literature. Every time you read a book you get the perspective of someone who has become a writer. You can't see the world through Chad Thundercock's eyes by reading a book. Uneducated people don't write books. Hard workers don't write books. Most people don't write books.

They say that by reading books you get to experience the world as someone else. The bad news is that the "someone else" is always a certain type of person: a writer.

Think about it.
>>
>>8855238
Pynchon is a pretty normie dude.
Dante was a normie.
Melville was just probably Chad.
Joyce was a normal dude that liked farts a bit too much.
Camus was a sex symbol.
Ur just projecting DESU.
>>
While i'm probably not a genius I'm actually good looking and moderately intelligent.

I do have odd and reclusive tendencies, but lots of very attractive girls flirt with me and people like me and want to be my friends.
>>
>>8856228
what an oversimplification lmao
>>
>>8855309
>completely normal
>literally killed himself
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.