[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to get my parents some books for Christmas,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: grimes.jpg (85KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
grimes.jpg
85KB, 1080x1080px
I'm looking to get my parents some books for Christmas, but even though I have a good foundation for knowledge of literature, I'm having a pretty hard time deciding on what to get. My mom is a schoolteacher and a bit willingly-ignorant, and my dad is a really smart working class guy that hasn't picked up a book in years but enjoys history. I'm not really counting on either of them to finish the books I give them, but I'd be glad if the books suited them enough that they would be compelled to give them a solid shot.

I originally thought about Moby Dick for my dad, and Middlemarch for my mom, but then I decided that Moby Dick would probably be a bit of a battle to start reading as a reintroduction to literature, and I thought Middlemarch might go over my mom's head.

I'd be happy to give out any recommendations for holiday gifts or whatever if anyone has any questions. Thanks for reading.
>>
>>8854793
Don't buy doorstoppers for people that don't read.

Maybe A Chess Story or Butcher's Crossing for your dad, something masculine but introspective. Slaughterhouse 5 might also be good

Flowers for Algernon might be good for your mom. If you think she'd enjoy Middlemarch but might be overwhelmed by its size, To the Lighthouse is a great alternative
>>
>>8854793
The Brothers K or Little, Big for mom. Little, Big may be hard for her though, but my mom loved it.
Dads love Killer Angels. If you want something past that I could see him liking Dune.
>>
>le push my own interests on others as gifts meme

you're a bad son as well as a bad person
>>
>>8854953
>>8854965
Thank you, I'll look into the recommendations

>>8855043
Thanks for your input - both of my parents have expressed interest in reading but don't know where to start.
>>
>>8855075
>Thanks for your inpu
>le passive aggressive meme

trip on a landmine
>>
>>8855124
I think you're reading too deep into it - criticism is still input, and I sincerely appreciate any input.
>>
>>8854793
>my dad is a really smart working class guy that hasn't picked up a book in years

LOL
>>
>>8855185
>le being the reasonable bigger man meme

trip off the edge of a bridge
>>
File: 1475093980971.png (11KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1475093980971.png
11KB, 420x420px
>>8855124
>mfw when orphans get triggered
>>
>>8855043
>>8855124
>>8855201
>>8855202
Why do you spergs insist on being purposefully insufferable
>>
>>8855226
Really good question; at least it gives me some free bumps to hopefully get more recommendations.
>>
>>8854953
I was going to recommend Slaughterhouse 5 as well.
Vonnegut is a good gift because it's easy.
>>
File: 51H2BG4839L.jpg (42KB, 324x500px) Image search: [Google]
51H2BG4839L.jpg
42KB, 324x500px
>>8854793
jesus the people on this board are idiots
>anon you should buy one of the six books that gets mentioned on this board 200 times every fucking day

anon buy your dad something from the "forgotten voices" series, maybe pic related
for your mother just buy something that's recent and popular and not related to whatever she teaches but whatever she's into at home. a mary berry cookbook or summat
>>
>>8854965
I think I'm leaning toward Little, Big and The Killer Angels right now. Really appreciate the recommendations everyone, and I'm still open to more.
>>
>>8855598
Happy to have helped anon, hopefully they like them.

I actually personally like both those books too so they're maybe not a bad option if you're interested in having a shared book to read and discuss with them which helps me connect with my parents better than I usually can .
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.