[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

yo lit, who da real champ: 1984 or a brave new world? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: vs2.jpg (21KB, 349x280px) Image search: [Google]
vs2.jpg
21KB, 349x280px
yo lit, who da real champ: 1984 or a brave new world?

I've read 1984 about five times this year and loved it. I just picked up a brave new world yesterday but I'm having trouble getting into it about an hour in. I know that I'm biased and I might come to appreciate a brave new world in the same way I do 1984, but I want to know what you guys think
>>
>>8850990
Imo
BNW: better social commentary
1984: better book
>>
ah yeah??
>>
>>8850990
why did you read it 5 times?
>>
>>8850990
Stop with this dumbass thread every goddamn day. They're both shit.
>>
>>8850995
This anon is correct here. I highly doubt you're reading either of these novels for the "plot", which is scarce in itself but 1984 is more coherent in that regard. Huxley is just a different author and has come to realize different things about society and lifestyles than Orwell, as Huxley has been known to indulge himself in pleasures later in his life.

I regard BNW as the one that's more "modern", which is interesting as it was published before 1984
>>
>>8851007
Holden?
>>
I've yet to read either of them but:

>about five times this year
>about

What? Did you lose count? Or are you just shitposting
>>
File: bigboss.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
bigboss.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>8851002

I found orwell's voice more easy to relate to than any other fiction I've ever consumed, and it has a horrible starkness about it you can grapple with repeatedly. It's like political horror. I don't know anything else like it, but it felt so vital to me, especially in regard to the ugliness of the propaganda

>>8851007

sorry man this is my first time here
>>
>>8851035
i m o BNW is much less direct in confronting the "horribleness" of the situation and it's up to you to determine whether it's acceptable or not, the book just has an underlying and extremely unsettling feel throughout the entire novel

Also, lurk more, newfag get out, etc. etc.
>>
File: nachos2.jpg (131KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
nachos2.jpg
131KB, 640x481px
>>8851012

I really dug the plot in 1984 and I think a lot of the reason I'm having trouble getting into a brave new world is that the plot is so sparse (so far anyway)

feels good to have a story revolve around a sturdy plot and a solid few core characters, yafeel

plus I feel like Big Brother and doublethink and whatever are a lot more striking than soma or whatever

>>8851027

a few times I listened to it on audiobook while I was grinding in vidya or whatever, so I lost count yeah, sometimes I'd only listen halfway or pick it up at a certain section
>>
>>8851035
>sorry man this is my first time here
I ain't even mad desu. so many redditors here these days I may as well stop being a cranky old man about it.
but on the real, don't read 1984 five fuckin times that makes no sense, that's four incredible books you could've explored instead of rehashing the fedora hunger games over and over
>>
>>8851064
yeah I can definitely see that bnw isn't commenting on the state of the world as much as 1984, but that's part of why I liked 1984 to begin with, as Winston's perspective was exactly the same as my own. I don't think it's tough to relate to someone who feels suffocated by the absurdity of the political landscape he's stuck in, with retards everywhere spouting propaganda to discharge energy. I guess that's more appealing to me than "would u prefer to be happy for its own sake if you have to make sacrifices or not"

I feel like bnw is more true of the specifics of how to effectively control a population based on what I've heard and read so far, but 1984 is more true of how hopelessly dysfunctional and stupid life can be
>>
>>8851076
it's a shame 1984 is associated with faggot fedoras because I don't think it's written in a juvenile way, it's just easy to take away a juvenile message from it
>>
>>8851076
>“I had nearly five thousand volumes in my library at Rome; but after reading them over many times, I found out that with one hundred and fifty well–chosen books a man possesses, if not a complete summary of all human knowledge, at least all that a man need really know. I devoted three years of my life to reading and studying these one hundred and fifty volumes, till I knew them nearly by heart; so that since I have been in prison, a very slight effort of memory has enabled me to recall their contents as readily as though the pages were open before me. I could recite you the whole of Thucydides, Xenophon, Plutarch, Titus Livius, Tacitus, Strada, Jornandes, Dante, Montaigne, Shakespeare, Spinoza, Machiavelli, and Bossuet. I name only the most important.”
> I devoted three years of my life to reading and studying these one hundred and fifty volumes, till I knew them nearly by heart
>>
Keep going OP.
I just finished BNW. I also found it hard to get into, the beginning of the book is extremely boring, the descriptions are tedious :
"Mr Foster duly told them.
Told them of the growing embryo on its bed of peritoneum. Made them taste the rich blood-surrogate on which it fed. Explained why it had to be stimulated with placentin and thyroxin. Told them of the corpus luteum extract. Showed them the jets through which at every twelfth metre from zero to 2040 it was automatically injected. Spoke of those gradually increasing doses of pituitary administered during the final ninety-six metres of their course. Described the artificial maternal circulation installed on every bottle at metres 112; showed them the reservoir of blood-surrogate, the centrifugal pump that kept the liquid moving over the placenta and drove it through the synthetic lung and waste-product filter."
WTF? I suck at biology, so maybe that's my problem. Does this even make sense? Did Huxley know what he was talking about?

Past this tedious descriptions I liked the book. The last half is much better.
>>
>>8850990
We
>>
Ready player one btfo's them all
>>
>>8851267
I thought Huxley did a great job of painting a futuristic, tedious society.

From conception a new citizen is immersed in the tedious society.
>>
Brave New World is so goddam poorly written.
I loved this book in middle school and I can still appreciate the themes in covers, but I re-read it recently and the writing is just so cringe-worthy. Like Huxley took one creative writing class then tried his hand at a book. Not unusual for science fiction mind you, but the only reason this is revered is because of the ideas not because of the writing.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.