[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maybe I asked this before, who knows What does /lit/ think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1462328189943.jpg (30KB, 452x302px) Image search: [Google]
1462328189943.jpg
30KB, 452x302px
Maybe I asked this before, who knows

What does /lit/ think of Hunter Thompson?
>>
>>8848603
started Fear and Loathing on the campaign trail, quite enjoyable so far. Loved Las Vegas and Hell's Angels. I also fel like some of his titles are underrated because people dont know how to read him...
>>
>>8848603

Meh, the general reply you are going to get is

>DUDE
>DRUGS
>LMAO

Personally not a big fan because I am not American and not interessted in American social dynamics.
>>
>>8848603
Fuck off lahey
>>
File: Transmetropolitan_2.jpg (40KB, 322x500px) Image search: [Google]
Transmetropolitan_2.jpg
40KB, 322x500px
>>8848603
Too much of a celebrity to be taken seriously. Also, his brand persona is different from his IRL persona, and he was too afraid of being labelled a hack (much like David Foster Wallace)

If you like his work you'll enjoy the comic Transmetropolitan
>>
>>8848662
Greg?
>>
>>8848603
Misunderstood, as all celebrities are.

Really insightful and enjoyable writer. Legitimately a fan of the writing artform as well as passionate about the themes he chose to hone in on. One of my favourites.
>>
Prototype edgy redditor manchild.
>>
>>8848726
Thanks for the tip, anon.

I think Thompson's "brand" was pretty far outside of his control, so I don't think you can criticise him on being unauthentic. The only reason he would play it up is for more access, and he was pretty open about this. Though it had a double edged sword because he lost his ability to blend in and I think he legitimately came to resent that.
>>
>>8848789
He wasn't edgy, he explicitly enjoyed the drama of mainstream democracy and outside of taking drugs (if you think that's edgy you're sheltered as fuck) his interests were not left of center. Despite his enjoyable ravings, he took the beat movement back to cynical rationality.

And if you think someone being "weird" is childish then you must be one hell of a bore.

As for the redditor thing, we both know that when you wrote that not even YOU knew what you mean outside of buzzword. But go ahead and make up some absolute bullshit now, by all means.
>>
I'm a big fan, but I'm usually afraid to admit it because most of his fanbase is of the "DUDE THIS DUDE HAD LE DRUGS AND LE GUNS HAHAHA XD" variety. The cult of personality surrounding him is toxic, unintellectual, and unappreciative of his real achievements.
His influence is within the scope of modern journalism, and it's interesting to see how he interprets the zeitgeist of the times. I've always thought of Thompson like a crustier, better Holden Caulfield - perpetually frustrated, searching for some semblance of authenticity in a world gone mad. It's a quixotic task, and he is frustrated more often than not, but a meaningful one in the end. At the least, it's fun to watch him hoot and scream about Nixon, Reagan, etc.
I think I owe more to HST than any other writer; reading "The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved" made me want to become one, thus putting me onto literature, and eventually resulting in my current course of study.

TL;DR: I like him.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.