[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are his other books like? I found a copy of The Pale King

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: david_foster_wallace.jpg (357KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
david_foster_wallace.jpg
357KB, 750x500px
What are his other books like?
I found a copy of The Pale King in my local library, and I wanted to know if it's worth my time.
>>
>>8847397
His nonfiction is extremely approachable and very funny. I highly recommend A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, both the essay and the entire collection. The former is available online for free!
>>
>>8847415
>!
cut yourself
>>
>>8847397
>What are his other books like?
i dont know
>>
>>8847419
Cut yourself!

His nonfiction is very much worth your time but the short stories are great, too.
>>
>>8847397
should I read the rest of Wallace before The Pale King? I read somewhere it's sorta reflects on his past work
>>
>>8847415
>!

This tells you all you need to know about Wallace fan's
>>
>>8847452
>!
okay but seriously though stop
>>
File: dali.png (108KB, 345x405px) Image search: [Google]
dali.png
108KB, 345x405px
>>8847804
>fan's
Jesus Crust, how can you fuck up like that, anon.
>>
>>8847819
I don't see any issue's there
>>
>>8847794
You should probably read IJ first but nothing will happen if you don't.
>>
>>8847415
Very successful use of ironic exclamation marks, I bet Wallace would have hated it!
>>
>>8847397
TPK is incomplete and it totally feels it. Infinite Jest is his best book, even though you don't get obscure hipster points for saying that.
>>
>>8847954
Are you a hipster? Ironically of course, because otherwise you'd just be a poser.
>>
>>8847973
I'd be a hipster if I wasn't such a loser.
>>
>>8847397
Depends how much you like his prose. TPK is like a drill in Wallace's writings. Don't expect much in terms of complete stories/character development, but what's already there is fucking amazing
>>
The Pale King is no less complete than Infinite Jest, which just had the worst fucking last 100 pages a book of that caliber could have.

I actually liked The Pale King better. Sue me
>>
>>8848491
disagree so much. the end was great
>>
>>8848491
Disagree about the last 100 pages being awful, but I did prefer TPK. It was a lot more ambitious than IJ, and the whole 'self-conscious'-writer shtick worked great when it was bestowed on a first person narrator. I haven't gotten around to Oblivion yet, but so far I think TPK is the most profound of DFW's books. I would definitely read it.

His short stories. on the other hand, are often a slog IMO.
>>
>>8847794
you could honestly probably start wherever you wanted. I have read most of his stuff and I think the Pale King is one of his best works.
>>
>>8848809
Oblivion is going to knock your socks off mate, get round to it. /lit/ doesn't mention it only because it wrecks the meme. Its the real thing, all promises paid off in full.
>>
>>8847819
>Crust
>>
>>8847415
It's all worth your time, even his unfinished work.

If you enjoyed the dialogue between Marathe and Steeply, or the AA stuff, then go for his essays next, though. There are lots of people out there who don't like his fiction but rate his journalism.

On the other hand, if you were more into the world of the tennis academy, then go straight to The Pale King.
>>
>>8851181
didn't mean to quote

I was going to second A Supposedly Fun Thing, but actually my absolute favourite essay is The Host and I think anyone should start there
>>
File: david-pepe-wallace.png (63KB, 240x239px) Image search: [Google]
david-pepe-wallace.png
63KB, 240x239px
just watch the movie
>>
>>8848809
Agreed. Westward the Course of Empire Takes its Way is basically the definition of postmodern garbage. They are definitely hit or miss though, John BIlly was fantastic.
>>
>>8851215
Bought a copy of "End of the tour" which I found for £5 next to the magazines at a supermarket checkout. Never going to watch it but it just seemed a very Wallacian purchasing moment.

Still unclear why Tesco thinks there is such a market for impulse bought meme triology bioflicks that they'd put them in prime retail space like that.
>>
>>8851310
>Westward the Course of Empire Takes its Way
Hey, I loved that one. Didn't care for the rest of the Girl With Curious Hair collection though ("Little Expressionless Animals" was ok)
>>
fucking hell you cunts are so pretentious
>>
>>8847908
Nothing will happen if he does though. TPK was my first DFW.
>>
No one ever talks about The Broom of the System
>>
>>8851451
Well, you bought it didn't you?
>>
They're shit just like Infinite Jest and his face.
>>
Consider the Lobster! is excellent (besides that fucking box essay).
>>
>>8853904
tell me more about this box essay
>>
>>8853904
Hmmm, I don't remember the box essay anymore.

I'm reading Hideous Men right now, and it's good. Not all of it is (Octet was the pomo slog it seemed right from the start), but that's the only really bad story for now, and I'm 150 pages in (!)
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.