[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metro 2033 worth reading? I want something bleak and claustrophobic,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Metro 2033 worth reading? I want something bleak and claustrophobic, but most classic sci-fi never read that well for me.
>>
>>8843836
USE THE ARCHIVE
>>
>>8843836
I loved it. Bleak, but I don't know about catastrophic. Moody, certainly. Maybe a bit sloppy. Very Russian.

I've heard mixed things about the sequels but haven't read them.
>>
>>8843845
*claustrophobic.

Sorry, yes, it is that.
>>
It's okay, it reads like someone whose influence came from the Strugatsky brothers only AFTER playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R
>>
>>8843836
The only good book in the series. And it's good because the author wrote it since he was in school and had all of his lifetime to work on it. The sequels are pretentious shit, because Glukhovsky is a very poor witer with a huge ego wich has become even bigger after the accidential succes of the first one.
>>
Yes it is.
>>
>>8843836

It is pretty good. Setting is realistic enough in general, but not without its own mysteries. Worldbuilding is a really great part of it, making you wish for more (which you saddly should not because the sequels are shit). Has many trippy moments which remind me of the Stalker movies or roadside picknick.

It is a good read, the only thing that bugs me about it hard is that it feels like part of a great series and the author fucks up terribly after this one. Do not even know whether there is a metro 2035.
>>
>>8843836
I went into it expecting it to be much more of a survivalist thriller. I enjoyed it at first, but it became all existential. Artyom spends way to much time wandering alone with his thoughts. I gave up on it 3/4ths of the way through. I might have enjoyed it more if I had known what I was getting into.
>>
File: 2035.jpg (410KB, 570x742px) Image search: [Google]
2035.jpg
410KB, 570x742px
>>8844923
There is. And the only good thing is it's cover. Basically it's a political pamphlet about the Dmitry who is the saviour and messiah of russian and world sci-fi, and he the only person who knows how to live. Artyom turned into wining Mary Sue, who is the ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS THE TRUTH and how others should live their live, and how other are ignorant scum who do not want to notice extremely important opinion of Artyom and overall greatness of his personality.
And Glukhovsky even killed the whole setting by himself - all mutants have died - because. All characters from previous books turned into complete bastards with no personality who treat Artyom like shit because everyone does.
Just a complete garbage. And he events of video games are no canon which is just ridiculous.
>>
>>8843836
It's fucking dogshit, I actually finished reading it only a few hours ago and was SO fucking disappointed with it, don't bother, literally nothing happens in it

>artyom is a whiny little bitch who acts like a child
>psychic magic esoteric bullshit riddle throughout
>dogshit prose, even worse dialogue
>literally nothing happens until the half-way point
>characters are pretty much self-parodies or several archetypes
>tries to be too philosophical and introspective for its own good, and really detracts (I mean REALLY fucking detracts) from the story
>philosophical parts are not only poorly formulated, but so jarring it completely takes you out of the story and are usually so unwarranted it's funny (artyom will just be walking down a tunnel then start asking "what does it mean to be human?"
>completely ruins the mysterious, unknown entities of the metro that are built up for the larger part of the story by not only presenting them in the most uninteresting and uneventful way, but also by having them be so fucking generic, eg: the kremlin is built up through the whole story to be this fucking demon-infested, magic mystic satanic, unexplainable place that is the literal gateway to hell. Turns out it's just a pool of diarrhea in the basement that hypnotizes people
>DUDE COMMUNISM GOOD CAPITALISM BAD
>"oh who's this character? Oh he's gone, see ya later! Guess he was pointless..."
>no lead up to the ending whatsoever, it just fucking happens in like the last 5 pages
>the ending is quite possible the biggest cop out in fucking history
>>
read, watch and play stalker instead
>>
>>8843836
Just watch O-bi O-ba
>>
>>8845061
https://vimeo.com/55954765
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.