[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are the midlands in england similar to the united states south?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: travel-guide-to-the-south-usa.jpg (188KB, 779x519px) Image search: [Google]
travel-guide-to-the-south-usa.jpg
188KB, 779x519px
are the midlands in england similar to the united states south? writers like dh lawrence give me a southern feel
>>
I imagine the American south being very humid and swampy. Is this the case?
>>
>>8842462
in south carolina it is can't even go outside in the summer without getting several mosquito bites
>>
>>8842462
yep
>>
>>8842465
>>8842467
Then it's not like England at all.
>>
turn ur heat up all the way, let ur shower run for like 20 minutes then go stand in the bathroom and play these two vids at the same time and imagine like ten mosquitoes swarming around you making you itch everywhere like you're being bit by ants and ur in south carolina during the summer

https://youtu.be/mah26og11ms
https://youtu.be/c06XBIbMDHg
>>
>>8842447

>are the midlands in england similar to the united states south?

Sort of but not really.

The Midlands doesn't have the strong personality that the American South has. It also doesn't relate very well -- I was born in the East Midlands, for instance, and now live in the West Midlands. Neither feels like part of the other.

However, I guess you could compare it in terms of post-industrialisation malaise. Like many southern American states, the Midlands still suffers from a cultural crisis as a result of the closure of factories and mining communities.

So yeah, it's sort of like it maybe, except with a bit of Michigan and a nothing state like Wyoming thrown into the mix.

Captcha related: A b&m store and a Sports Direct.
>>
>>8842564
>the Midlands still suffers from a cultural crisis as a result of the closure of factories
this is nothing like the South at all

the South is still reeling from reconstruction, not to mention the death of the "cash crop" and forced integration in the mid 20th century. Mining is only a factor in some podunk places in West Virginia
>>
>>8842447
no
>>
>>8842447
Knowing little about the south, less about the midlands, and nothing about D.H. Lawrence, I can say there are probably ways that the themes in his writings resonate with both places even if critics have not addressed the connection that you are drawing. These a-ha moments are one reason why I enjoy reading out of different times and places.

Substantiating the connection that you notice is sometimes hard to do (and particularly hard on a website like this where everybody's lurking with daggers all the time) but keep thinking about what you read in this way because it will deepen your appreciation and lead you to good places.
>>
>>8842447
The most you can say is that the Southern US was the most purely "English" part of White America. It has a more distinct Anglo-Protestant identity whereas the rest of America has a significant Catholic and Jewish presence.
>>
I'm 5 miles from Eastwood right now, it's a bit of a state. Don't know how the vaping industry is going in the American South so can't really draw any comparisons yet, ask me anything
>>
>>8842589

Fair enough. Not even going to act like I didn't just presume it after playing Kentucky Route Zero.
>>
>>8842462
The southernmost parts of Mississippi are, but northerly not so much. The skies are bluest in the South tho.
>>
File: 1477144246423.jpg (61KB, 350x335px) Image search: [Google]
1477144246423.jpg
61KB, 350x335px
>>8842692
>>
>>8842695
>the Southern US was the most purely "English" part of White America
Are you sure it wasn't NEW ENGLAND

fucking dipshit
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.