[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So has anyone here actually read this entire thing unabridged?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

So has anyone here actually read this entire thing unabridged? What did you learn?
>>
>>8840470
yes. i kept a copy by my bedside for about 5 months and read it daily. usually on waking rather than at night. this will be confused but here goes.

aside from the practical consideration that the nyrb one volume reprint isn't a good edition and it's better to spring for the folio society 3 volume (or the old out of print modern library edition the folio is based on), i enjoyed watching a mind at work in processing and shaping everything that enters it into something that matches its needs and preoccupations. it is rather like montaigne obviously but with montaigne there's the likelihood that the educated reader will either already know or will eventually get around to most of the classical sources montaigne continually goes back to. And so there's the chance for you to engage with his engagement in two broad ways - how his interpretations impact your reading of the sources and what they show about his own reading. Burton more frequently removes that first aspect since it's unlikely you'd ever want to read most of what he cites. so if you're going to engage with his book you've got to do it purely through him. and so once you come to like him - or at least understand him - it ends a more personal experience than what you get even with montaigne - or any great memorialist for that matter since they all tend to write about periods or events you could have some interest in outside themselves. burton is in fair part antiquated medical theories most often presented in distorted portion so i have a very hard time imagining anyone enjoying that material in itself. it comes down to the mind of the writer and there it is beautiful fun once you put the effort in to grow initiated.
>>
The dude rambles a lot and looses track of his thought often. That's why this book is so long imo. But I guess you could argue this is somehow a positive thing.
>>
>>8840515
Thank you for your thoughtful post. What version do you reccomend?
>>
>>8841412
Did you even read his post senpai?
>>
>>8841414
what the fuck, how did I miss that?

I should stop posting after 2 am, my bad
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.