[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one read this? Clearly conventional methods don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Joyce_wake.jpg (8KB, 200x324px) Image search: [Google]
Joyce_wake.jpg
8KB, 200x324px
How does one read this? Clearly conventional methods don't work. The man has obliterated writing into sensory experience, "mouth-feel", pure aesthetics, no regard for even a singular language (apparently words from 45 different languages are used), grammar or recognizable syntactic structure.

Commentary? If so which is best? And if not, where do I start?
>inb4 the greeks
Is it possible, that the entirety of western literature is encompassed in this single book? Does one read this to understand all else, or all else, to understand this? Is it even possible to understand this if one isn't Joyce himself?

Is Ulysses better?
>>
>>8837910
google fweet. Read an arbitrary section, fweet it, then read it again.
>>
the greeks, history of europe, ireland and dublin, read his whole oeuvre before attempting, have a deep knowledge of art and philosophy, and most importantly realize it's an intricate autistic puzzle written by a man slave to his own genius, don't be mad if you don't get it. have fun.
>>
>>8837910
it was written to be read and felt, not studied and analyzed
its cruel to analysts, not readers.
>>
>>8837952
Bullcrap. It was clearly, clearly written for both.
>>
>>8837961
the obscurantism isn't a treat, its a defense against the academics that want to dissect and kill works
layers and layers of meaning are meant to blur together for moments of complex but implacable feeling.
>>
>How does one read this?

You don't. It's perfectly inane.
>>
>>8837976
>>8837952
>being this much of a pleb

>DUDE JUST READ IT FOR THE EXPERIENCE LMAO!!!
-smokes bong-

pseud af senpai

>>8837979
gonna need you to go back to r/books right now
>>
>>8837976
>the obscurantism isn't a treat
Maybe for your low power levels of autism. FW is the most enjoyable piece of literature I've ever read precisely because of the puzzle of the duodecuple+ layering. It's not meant to be "solved" perhaps, but grappling with it makes that complex but implacable feeling more intense and tangible.

We can agree to disagree, both arguments are unprovable.
>>
>>8837985
>gonna need you to go back to r/books right now

rahbahbahbahrumdumfumghum,lai9a8sh09d8 sodfhsodufhs9d8fya9 aisdna sd8-a7u s90584u5wje r908sydf0 ns dnfoljinvfkxn s ka89yuf0
>>
>>8838072
>plebs trying to thunderword
>>
>>8838081

Renol-daga ban tofumfi gabibabi?
>>
>>8837985
>books are for enjoying
>no we have to analyse them and pretend to be smart, pseud; go back to r/books

guess who sounds pseudier
>>
>>8838100
RonnJohncawcawcawsuntrilltrilltrillionshriekchariotpyrea‘āa‘āsunstonetheoheighoheighotritritri
>>
>>8838112
DUDE 420 BLAZE IT LMAO
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.