[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can you visit any half decent library, especially one that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1468029696649.png (8KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1468029696649.png
8KB, 420x420px
How can you visit any half decent library, especially one that includes technical works, and still see the "well read" ideal as anything other than a marketing scam or a pretension among a coterie who sell you books* and vigorously engage in a circlejerk among themselves?

It's impossible to even have a surface level grasp of most things, unless you follow the tactic of pretending that nothing has happened since 1900. And pretend that all maths and science doesn't exist. And that only material published by publishers with a high revenue exists. Which is the reality that a large proportion of """intellectuals""" live in.

* A certain industrial complex in my opinion, though I know that you guys don't want to hear it
>>
File: 19-26-57-220px-Socrates_Louvre.jpg (20KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
19-26-57-220px-Socrates_Louvre.jpg
20KB, 220x293px
>>8833634
Tell me OP, has The Nature of Virtue Itself changed since 1900?
>>
I think we live in an exciting time of shift in the intellectual zeitgeist. With field specialization occurring in every academic discipline and individuals no longer to have a breadth of knowledge in more than two or three general topics, even literature experts will have to acknowledge to impossibility of being an encyclopedia unto themselves of anything other than a necessarily delimited subset of ideas. This is going to make criticism from the point of view of a would-be human compendium of historical knowledge an absurdity, and art is going to be referential only to the author's subjective literary experience rather than appeal to the pantheon of the accepted 'Western Canon'. In this sense, books will still be made out of other books, but there will be no assumed common literary lexicon, which I think is a good thing, as being moored to one standard of academic thought is limiting rather than liberating
>>
>>8833634

>* A certain industrial complex in my opinion, though I know that you guys don't want to hear it

You fucking did it again. You swoop in at key moments in my life when I am about to fall back into bad habits and make me realize that life is short and 4chan is shit.

Thanks man.
>>
>publishing-library complex
LMAO
M
A
O

saged and hidden
>>
>>8834022

Wrong, academia-media-publishing industrial complex
>>
>>8833634
I said it before and I'll say it again, fuck off
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.