[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will this be the next meme doorstopper, the new Bottom's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 9781627794466[1].jpg (181KB, 659x1000px) Image search: [Google]
9781627794466[1].jpg
181KB, 659x1000px
Will this be the next meme doorstopper, the new Bottom's Dream? Or will it be good like early Auster?
>>
Title and cover are barren land for meme-farming desu. Outlook not so good.
>>
Paul austers novels are good snacks, but I'm wary about 800 pages of him.
>>
>>8829055
This. His NY trilogy was good because it was gripping, but also because it was short. I'll wait for reviews.
>>
What's good by Auster? I've only read Book of Illusions.
>>
>>8829069
I like his memoirs more than his fiction, which feel samey in a Murakami way, but Invisible is probably my favorite Auster novel.
>>
Why do authors write these 700-800 page novels? There's nothing meaningful in them that couldn't have been said in 400 pages or fewer. I'm halfway through reading JR right now and loving it, but the scenes in Whiteback's office are all carbon copies of each other and the repetition (past two or three times) only loses interest and stalls artistic progression. On the other hand Pynchon spouts about random bullshit page after page in Gravity's Rainbow, which I've only glanced at in the store, but in the end I'd imagine it's the same result, he's left the reader with proportionally much less value than was in Lot 49. I see the value of both of these styles from an artistic viewpoint, and it makes sense that "they needed to be written" for the author, but they're wasteful and only ostracize the people who want to enjoy literature without reading a "marvelous and unforgettably affecting tour de force"
>>
>>8829105
Sometimes in especially well structured novels, all of the scenes contribute to the forward motion of the plot and to the denouement at the end. GR does this, but the better example is Mason and Dixon. The big problem with Pynchon isn't that he meanders (actually one of his greatest strengths as a writer is knowing when to pull back to the main plotline) but that he rushes to the end. Gravity's Rainbow's major flaw is that he established a great, wandering tone, but the fourth section of the book throws a lot of that out for its fever-dream aesthetic.
>>
>>8829158
This is the first serious, non-meme criticism of Pynchon I've ever seen on this board.
>>
>>8829027
>I'll put a random year as the title of my book so I'll sound patrician as fuck
THIS is the meme
>>
>>8829563
It's pasta.
>>
>>8829602
I wrote it today. Can you show me an archive link?
>>
>>8829573
It's not a year, it's a reference to the four timelines that the main character inhabits. At least that
s what I picked up from the short review I read of it
>>
>>8829573
looks more like a countdown to me
>>
>>8829610
>empiricism
You know where you belong.
>>
>>8829800
>every criticism of my Personal Lord and Savior is pasta
>>>/pol/

>>8829061
I think something this long can be gripping. Do you think if the NY trilogy managed to maintain its tone for two or three times its length, it would not have managed to work?
>>
Auster sucks
>>
>>8829069
Brooklyn Follies and Invisible are also great. NYT is not that great.
>>
>>8830831
>NYT is not that great.
What did you think was wrong with it?
>>
>>8829085
>>8830831

I own all three of these books but have only read the NYT.

>NYT is not that great

lol
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.