[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I pose four questions: Is reading a lot of literature essential

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

I pose four questions:

Is reading a lot of literature essential to becoming a great writer?

Is writing a lot essential to becoming a great writer?

In your opinion, what is more important to a writer: spending time in post-secondary in a lit-related field, or spending time travelling or using your free time to see things?

Does the man in pic related look like a famous or at least noted author?
>>
File: Edward-Lear-012.jpg (797KB, 2112x1267px) Image search: [Google]
Edward-Lear-012.jpg
797KB, 2112x1267px
>>8827035
>Reading
Not necessarily, but it does help a whole lot.

>Writing
Yes. Only the most wünderkid savants can pull this off without.

>In our opinion
Whatever floats your boat.

>Dude in pic
*Shrugs*
>>
most wannabe writers write too much and read too little
>>
>>8827035
>yes
>yes
>either can be conducive to success
>kinda like Breece Pancake, I guess
>>
>>8827050
Most litizens think some writers are just wannabe writers.
>>
>>8827035
Lose the hat and stare balefully at the camera while being lit from the side, and yeah
>>
Yes, you dummy.
Of course, you idiot.
I am skeptical of any of those things in the 21st century, but in the 19th century all would have certainly been conducive to becoming a good (let us put aside "great") writer, if by "things" you mean art and suchlike cultural artifacts. I would say go for the degree in literature if you didn't acquire a really solid base in secondary school and earlier, but stay away from the creative writing classes, and for Jesus' sake don't buy into some dogma or ideology that shall govern all of your reading and writing. If you have already read a great deal of both the classics and more contemporary literature, then I would see little point in going to college except to surround yourself with other intellectual young people--and truly intellectual young people are only likely to be found at the very most elite institutions, and even there, most English/literature majors nowadays are real knuckleheads (of a usually ideological variety) even if they can correctly form a sentence. In that regard, I would say, why not kill two birds with one stone and go to a top university abroad? if you are already well-read, that is.

But then, what do I know? I too am only a vague aspirer. My aspirations are, however, more humble (or so I fool myself into thinking): I wish, not to be "a writer," but "a man of letters." All I could really ask for would be the charm and good thinking of Dr. Johnson, not the colossal visions of a Romantic poet, however much I may admire the type. But of course even that is asking too much, when I read so woefully little.
>>
>>8827115

Oh, and as for the guy in the picture (who I hope is not you), no he absolutely does not. But appearances can be deceiving, and you are hardly trying to "look literary" in that picture. I suppose I look even less "literary."
>>
Above James’ parents room is his own room. The floorboards were placed during the second world war. Some creak quietly and some creak loudly, but they all do creak. Every step James takes during the night bothers his parents.

In his small, loud room there are a few things. There are poorly painted walls. They’re painted a faded light-pink, with the eastern and western walls bending on a 45 degree angle inward one and a half feet from the floor on both sides. This leaves little room for James to do his thinking. There is a laminated darkwood dresser with more clothing placed on top of it than inside, and even more on the floor. A short ceiling with angled walls in a small space gives a tall man like James a narrow pathway down the middle of his room where he can walk without needing to bow his head. The door, also placed there during the second world war has only been painted once. A not-so-white color marked with dark, fainted handprints. There are smaller handprints and larger handprints. The smaller ones are lower on the door. This door faces north and a tiny window faces south.

An unhinged lightbulb dangles from middle of the ceiling. If it weren’t for this lightbulb, James would have no second thoughts about walking back and forth through his loud room.
>>
>>8827035
Get out of here, dangies.
>>
>>8827035
1. Yeah. If you don't read, you'll never know what other people have said or how other brilliant people have phrased things

2. Yes. You're going to have to develop yourself through constant creation and eventual destruction and recycling of said creations

3. Depends on the writer and what they want to do

4. no
>>
"I grew that gap between your teeth."

K hides her lip behind her tongue and twirls her eyes into her head.

"Well, I grew that crack where you are standing!"

"I want to go to the football game."

"I don't."

"Well, I want to go."

"I don't."
>>
>>8827035
1- yes
2- yes
3- spending time to be curious. Curious of art and people, more than travelling.
4- no
>>
>>8827035
>Is reading a lot of literature essential to becoming a great writer?
Of course, absolutely.
>Is writing a lot essential to becoming a great writer?
Of course, absolutely.
>In your opinion, what is more important to a writer: spending time in post-secondary in a lit-related field, or spending time travelling or using your free time to see things?
The latter without a doubt and it's not even close. There's no substitute for experience, life experience. You show me a renowned writer and I'll show you someone who probably did not study writing or literature at the post-secondary level. Faulkner didn't even graduate from high school.
>Does the man in pic related look like a famous or at least noted author?
None that I know of.
>>
>>8827035
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Depends on your topics, interests, and themes
4) Anyone can look like anything
>>
>>8827035

yes

yes

depends on the writing

no
>>
I pray for you.
>>
>>8829869
*Slaps*
>>
>>8827035
turn your hat the right way around, faggot
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.