[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>that one book you couldn't even force yourself to finish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

>that one book you couldn't even force yourself to finish

What's her name?
>>
River of gods. It was recommended from here and had some interesting set up, but every other chapter involves trans sex.
>>
>>8824419
Why not you pleb
>>
>>8824428
I read all of Plato's work and decided to move on to Aristotle with NE. Far too dry and condescending for my taste. And most of his works are outdated natural science and political crap
>>
>>8824419
Taipei. Just didn't care to finish,
>>
>>8824419
Where do I even begin?
>>
>>8824419

It's not very palatable if you read the Irwin translation.

Other translations are better.
>>
>>8824438

There is no such thing as "outdated" natural science.

t. Thomas Kuhn
>>
>>8824419
Honestly, Blood Meridian. I got to page 200 and just said fuck it. The writing is good it just really started to tire me out.
I'm also not one of those people who gets excited by bloody descriptions and gun fights.
>>
>>
>>8824438
Do you really think Nicomachean Ethics is outdated? Man you need to read more.
>>
>>8824463
Notice that the outdated works I was referring to would contain natural science and politics, which NE has very little of (I read half of it). I was referring more to Physics, Animals, Meteorology, etc.
>>
>>8824438
I felt the same way initially with Aristotle--literally read the Complete Works of Plato + additional commentary and synoptic essays about him, and went on to Aristotle and felt he was too dogmatic and too vague. Then I watched some course-lectures on him online that really break down his thoughts and compared them to Plato and the Pre-Socratics, read through selections of his major work, read some essays on him, and re-reading extant works by him whole and find him really interesting.

I think NE is a bad to start off with him--you should've read his Organon, Physics, On the Soul, On Generation and Corruption, and Metaphysics beforehand that gets you a sense of his logic and terminology. Regarding this, I heavily recommend you check out the Ancient Philosophy course created by the University of Pennsylvania on Coursera, which consist of two 4 and 5 week courses that the first includes the Pre-Socratics and Plato, and the other Aristotle, the Epicureans, and Stoics, which is extremely helpful and informative with going into the details of each, comparing them, and demonstrating their thoughts. It really helped taught me a lot of things I didn't know about the Pre-Socratics and Plato even though I read a fairly large amount of them.
And as regards to reading Aristotle, I recommend you read Irwin and Fine's "Selections" of him, which lists the before mention, NE, and other essential works to get a comprehensive grasps of his ideology that emits the outdated natural science observations and lectures of him that are irrelevant to us, but includes the bits of his logic, ontology, metaphysics in them, and the other relevant and significant parts in his other works, then go on to read his Metaphysics and NE whole.

It's important to remember the works we have from Aristotle are basically his compiled esoteric lecture notes that he presented to his students and probably used demonstrations while teaching them. He references a bunch of his other work and discussions explicitly in his writings that infer such and expect you to be familiar with it. Even if they were meant to be publish to the public, he probably didn't intend readers to read just singular treatises (which were probably compiled and divided up by later students and individuals) of his that we currently have. They are not kind or refined like Platos', and are difficult if you aren't prepared beforehand or aren't taking a course from an academic whose familiar with him.
>>
Underworld. Like 300 pages in.
>>
>>8824456
Over 400 pages in, I'm on the final stretch. Don't blame you for quitting though.
>>
I've tried Burke's reflections twice, and couldn't get past 30 pages. Which is a shame because I actually have a lot of respect for his political philosophy.
>>
I'm not smart enough.
>>
>>8825084
Shit, me too. Something about the pompous style and courtly verbosity makes it such a chore to read
>>
>>8824419
I really enjoyed reading this but I wasn't able to finish it for I had to return it to my library. I purchased a copy online that came with an entirely different translation that is far less palatable. I haven't had the time to go back, considering I was 3/4th of the way through and it wasn't for any course I was taking. I read enough to my feet wet and I've just begun two surveys on western philosophy to continue my exploration into this pedagogy.
>>
>>8824970
>I felt the same way initially with Aristotle--literally read the Complete Works of Plato + additional commentary and synoptic essays about him, and went on to Aristotle and felt he was too dogmatic and too vague. Then I watched some course-lectures on him online that really break down his thoughts and compared them to Plato and the Pre-Socratics, read through selections of his major work, read some essays on him, and re-reading extant works by him whole and find him really interesting.
>
>I think NE is a bad to start off with him--you should've read his Organon, Physics, On the Soul, On Generation and Corruption, and Metaphysics beforehand that gets you a sense of his logic and terminology. Regarding this, I heavily recommend you check out the Ancient Philosophy course created by the University of Pennsylvania on Coursera, which consist of two 4 and 5 week courses that the first includes the Pre-Socratics and Plato, and the other Aristotle, the Epicureans, and Stoics, which is extremely helpful and informative with going into the details of each, comparing them, and demonstrating their thoughts. It really helped taught me a lot of things I didn't know about the Pre-Socratics and Plato even though I read a fairly large amount of them.
>And as regards to reading Aristotle, I recommend you read Irwin and Fine's "Selections" of him, which lists the before mention, NE, and other essential works to get a comprehensive grasps of his ideology that emits the outdated natural science observations and lectures of him that are irrelevant to us, but includes the bits of his logic, ontology, metaphysics in them, and the other relevant and significant parts in his other works, then go on to read his Metaphysics and NE whole.
>
>It's important to remember the works we have from Aristotle are basically his compiled esoteric lecture notes that he presented to his students and probably used demonstrations while teaching them. He references a bunch of his other work and discussions explicitly in his writings that infer such and expect you to be familiar with it. Even if they were meant to be publish to the public, he probably didn't intend readers to read just singular treatises (which were probably compiled and divided up by later students and individuals) of his that we currently have. They are not kind or refined like Platos', and are difficult if you aren't prepared beforehand or aren't taking a course from an academic whose familiar with him.
good post anon
>>
>>
>>8825215
what's with all the GEBposting these days?
>>
>>8825069
Is it worth it?
>>
>>8825232
its a popular book
>>
File: 1480519837491.jpg (728KB, 1021x1135px)
1480519837491.jpg
728KB, 1021x1135px
Moby Dick.

I got exactly 33% of the way through before being killed by the whaling trivia.
>>
File: dune-messiah.jpg (120KB, 608x1022px)
dune-messiah.jpg
120KB, 608x1022px
>>
all of them in the last 3 years
>>
>>8825254
for you
>>
>>8825177
>I felt the same way initially with Aristotle--literally read the Complete Works of Plato + additional commentary and synoptic essays about him, and went on to Aristotle and felt he was too dogmatic and too vague. Then I watched some course-lectures on him online that really break down his thoughts and compared them to Plato and the Pre-Socratics, read through selections of his major work, read some essays on him, and re-reading extant works by him whole and find him really interesting.
>
>I think NE is a bad to start off with him--you should've read his Organon, Physics, On the Soul, On Generation and Corruption, and Metaphysics beforehand that gets you a sense of his logic and terminology. Regarding this, I heavily recommend you check out the Ancient Philosophy course created by the University of Pennsylvania on Coursera, which consist of two 4 and 5 week courses that the first includes the Pre-Socratics and Plato, and the other Aristotle, the Epicureans, and Stoics, which is extremely helpful and informative with going into the details of each, comparing them, and demonstrating their thoughts. It really helped taught me a lot of things I didn't know about the Pre-Socratics and Plato even though I read a fairly large amount of them.
>And as regards to reading Aristotle, I recommend you read Irwin and Fine's "Selections" of him, which lists the before mention, NE, and other essential works to get a comprehensive grasps of his ideology that emits the outdated natural science observations and lectures of him that are irrelevant to us, but includes the bits of his logic, ontology, metaphysics in them, and the other relevant and significant parts in his other works, then go on to read his Metaphysics and NE whole.
>
>It's important to remember the works we have from Aristotle are basically his compiled esoteric lecture notes that he presented to his students and probably used demonstrations while teaching them. He references a bunch of his other work and discussions explicitly in his writings that infer such and expect you to be familiar with it. Even if they were meant to be publish to the public, he probably didn't intend readers to read just singular treatises (which were probably compiled and divided up by later students and individuals) of his that we currently have. They are not kind or refined like Platos', and are difficult if you aren't prepared beforehand or aren't taking a course from an academic whose familiar with him.

>good post anon

Thanks
>>
>>8824419
>>8824438

Nichomachean Ethics is like 150 pages long and has been recently revived in mainstream moral philosophy. How do you make it through any historical philosophical text if not this?
>>
File: dogi2.jpg (66KB, 595x557px) Image search: [Google]
dogi2.jpg
66KB, 595x557px
>>8824456
>>8825069
>being this pleb
>>
File: Pepe Hyde.png (895KB, 1610x1651px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe Hyde.png
895KB, 1610x1651px
>>8825413

>Nichomachean Ethics is like 150 pages long and has been recently revived in mainstream moral philosophy

Why?
>>
>>8825440

Why is it 150 pages long? I've no idea, maybe Aristotle got bored?

Why has it recently been revived in mainstream moral philosophy? Because Alisdair Macintyre and Anscombe rightly thought that utilitarianism and deontological philosophy didn't have a realistic relationship to moral culture and neglected the role of obligation in morality I suppose
>>
>>8825445
>neglected the role obligation in morality

I don't think this was Anscombe or MacIntyre's critique of deontology

NE is still popular because people like Philippa Foot and Bernard Williams thought deontology and utilitarianism were perilously out of touch with what it is to be a human
>>
File: cyclolargecover.jpg (236KB, 400x612px)
cyclolargecover.jpg
236KB, 400x612px
To be honest, it's just because every time I'm compelled to read it again I have to study for my exams and can't afford to spend three hours to read 60 pages for leisure when I've got four history books to read in a week.

I swear I'll read it soon enough, I'll use it in my thesis.
>>
>>8825455

Anscombe explicitly argued that deontological theories divorced obligation from it's social context, and MacIntyre observed the same problem in how both theories explain Is/Ought. How is that not neglecting the role of obligation in morality?
>>
>>8825432
Sorry, mr patrish
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.