[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thomas Pynchon on David Foster Wallace >“I’ve never gotten

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: dallasfortworth.jpg (94KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
dallasfortworth.jpg
94KB, 960x640px
Thomas Pynchon on David Foster Wallace
>“I’ve never gotten anything out of his writing. It has felt constructed, faux intellectual, and completely dead. Prosaically uninteresting and infinitely boring. Wallace was a fucking bore. He made his books for the critics. One of the books, The Pale King, was set here in Illinois. It was mind-numbingly boring.”

Laurie Penny on David Foster Wallace:
>“His gifts as a writer were enormous. I just can’t take him very seriously as a thinker — and that’s where we seem to differ, because he did. His message is what he cared about, and, like most contemporary novel messages, it could be written on the head of a pin.”

John Green on David Foster Wallace:
>“Someone like David Foster Wallace is for me intellectual counterfeit money when compared to a good Stephen King book.”

What did they mean by this?
>>
thomas pynchon said something?
>>
>>8822481

>He doesn't listen to the Pynchon Podcast every Thursday

Plen as fuck
>>
>>8822481
this.
it's a poor attempt to diss DFW.
>>
>>8822468
I'm with Welles. I don't know how anyone takes Godard seriously as a thinker.
>>
>>8822468

>Pynchon accuses DFW of making his books for the critics
>DFW accuses Pynchon of writing his books for the critics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj0JgqOnK2M

poetry
>>
>>8822481
>>8822489
>>8822502
its fake as fuck retards

its bergman on godard, op just changed the names
>>
>>8822468
Infinite Jest is the comfiest of literature. The whole addiction/sincerity/entertainment/whatever themes I don't really care about, I just like when talks about the tennis academy and the halfway house. Same feeling I got when I read Harry Potter as a kid, makes me feel somehow not alone.

I do not like how he writes though, it feels completely lacking in any poetic sensibility.
>>
>Laurie Penny
>saying something thoughtful
>not utterly burying it in cliches and Narrative Journalism 101-esque prose
>no moralising that immediately seems sophomoric, unearned and validation-seeking to the reader

You lost me right out of the gate. Here's what Laurie Penny would say, if this were 2007 and anyone cared about Laurie Penny:
>David Foster Wallace, manocratic mansplaining patriauthor of the manosphere, was like all men: Male. I met up with him at the male-centric writers' convention in New York, home to many of the "great" men of the (I noticed, almost exclusively male except for 40-50% women) literary scene.
>>
>>8822468
Bloom on David Foster Wallace:
>Some may seize on it as a postmodern masterpiece, but it is a bloated monster of a book. (...) The bloat is a consequence of sheer adipose verbosity and an unremitting condition of moral and intellectual flatulence.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.