[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are failed/doomed romances more appealing in literature than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: fortress besieged.png (949KB, 584x795px) Image search: [Google]
fortress besieged.png
949KB, 584x795px
Why are failed/doomed romances more appealing in literature than successful romances? The only highly acclaimed books I can think of with happy endings are Jane Austen's books.
>>
>>8819525
Why is heaven more boring than hell? Lack of conflict.
>>
>>8819528

Pride and Prejudice has plenty of conflict, it just ends on a happy note.
>>
Think of the amount of unsuccessful romances vs the amount of successful romances. People like reading about people like themselves, especially if the author has something insightful to say.
>>
>>8819525
>>The only highly acclaimed books I can think of with happy endings are Jane Austen's books.
>what is a comedy?
This is why you start with the Greeks
>>
>>8819525
Because hapiness looks pretty much the same, but every couple is miserable in its own way.

You may quote me on this, btw. Just fluff it up a bit, meant it sound more "literary".
>>
>>8819525
It's cathartic for the reader to read about characters they've invested emotionally in going through the same despair and and anguish they've felt in their own life.

The thought process with love is incredibly hyperbolic, and so to place romantic characters in situations of mortal doom, or eternal separation, actually feels relatable because that is the way real romantic passion makes you feel. It doesn't feel quite right that two people with such explosive passions for one another could survive.
>>
>>8819528
>>8819685
But you can still have conflict, just make the relationship be bad and then improve. That's no excuse for them to almost always end badly as well. At this point it's barely a conflict since 99% of the time the reader can predict the outcome.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.