[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>come up with absolute genius idea for a book >in a flash

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1451273218002.png (124KB, 380x353px) Image search: [Google]
1451273218002.png
124KB, 380x353px
>come up with absolute genius idea for a book
>in a flash of inspiration, think of concept that can revolutionize the novel
>create a huge, sprawling outline that beautifully ties in all the ideas I came up with
>prose still sucks

Holy fuck, /lit/ how do you improve your prose? What writers should I read? My style game is lagging so far behind my substance game right now. Should I just say fuck it and pull a Dostoevsky?
>>
>>8818218
read more. pick your favorite stylists and imitate their qualities that you like the most. write until your prose becomes something you could call your own.

hope this helps but desu /lit/ isnt for pussies so really the best thing to do is to stop crying on the internet and start doing something you fucking faggot.
>>
>>8818218
The problem is that you haven't realized that the prose is the story. The prose develops with the evolution of the work. No works worthwhile come from a pre fab design, they're built. Language is the work itself, anon, not the idea or plot. I recommend Gass' non fiction.
>>
>>8818232

fuck you, you lil fucking twerp bitch
>>
>>8818254
>>8818232
but also thanks for the input
>>
Why don't you just tell us the idea? Right now I'm just gonna have to assume it's a sprawling mess. I promise none of us are gonna steal it if you just give a light summary.

But more seriously, reading Jean Genet and Don Delillo helped me think more about style
>>
File: image.png (123KB, 1302x610px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
123KB, 1302x610px
>>8818218
>>
>>8818615
where's the source for Melville studying exclusively Shakespeare?
>>
>>8818218
just publish the outline.

i mean, hey, all that matters is getting your name in print, right?
>>
Write it. Wait. Rewrite it. Wait. Edit it. Edit it. Edit it.
>>
>>8818748
well 'Moby' has Shakespearean allusion on every page so it makes sense
>>
>>8818855
Sure, he read Shakespeare and liked him, but where's the proof that Melville did as that anon said he did, devoting his entire life just to Shakespeare?
>>
https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-writer-as-reader-melville-and-his-marginalia/#!

regarding melvilles reading
>>
>>8818968
thanks main
>>
>>8818218
Read James Salter.
>>
>>8818968
Damn, that was crushing and inspiring at the same time. Thanks, anon.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.