[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear /lit/, I have been reading lots of postmodernism but I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

Dear /lit/,

I have been reading lots of postmodernism but I am getting tired of le 20th century difficult prose man.

What should I read? Point me to your favorite books that aren't posted on here day after day
>>
Look at the sticky, wiki, etc.
>>
>>8818150
>I am getting tired of le 20th century difficult prose man
You'll enjoy Joseph McElroy
>>
revert to the greeks
>>
The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone.
>>
>>8818194
is he not more of the same? i picture W&M as the epitome of 'le 20th century difficult prose book'
>>
>>8818150
This might be a very un/lit/ choice but I really love The Secret History by Donna Tartt. You get some fun friend-group-dynamics shit, some greek/other lit references, and a whole lot of tension. I thought it was really fun to read but also 'literary' enough to really feel worth reading. Really great characters IMO
>>
File: blow_a_kiss_fire_a_gun.png (888KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
blow_a_kiss_fire_a_gun.png
888KB, 1500x1500px
>>8818236
yeah I was shitposting. But to be fair, his prose is in a different class than Pinecone's. Pinecone's prode is difficult because it's so overloaded with details and cultural references that it's hard to keep everything straight. McElroy is difficult on a sentence-level, where the meanings of the sentences themselves are obscure.

It makes for a reading experience that's either pleasantly disorienting or frustratingly disorienting, depending on your disposition. Sometimes to escape you must go deeper.
>>
>>8818282
er... not exactly sure how I managed to misspell "prose". My bad
>>
>>8818282
>>8818286
no prob im thoroughly intrigued. what's a good starting point with mr mcelroy?
>>
File: 1452188492805.png (692KB, 750x2513px) Image search: [Google]
1452188492805.png
692KB, 750x2513px
>>8818407
I followed the /lit/ flowchart and started with the "Night Soul" short story collection. I liked some better than others, but all of them were the type that I struggled to get through but then they would pop up in my subconscious a few days later. I hear Smuggler's Bible, his first book, is a bit more "normal" since he hadn't quite found that obscure aesthetic yet, but that may not be what you're looking for. I have yet to read his other works, so I'd say start with the short stories - at least you won't sink a huge time investment into them if you don't like them, and can move on to Lookout Cartidge, Cannonball, etc. from there.
>>
>>8818150
Unironically, George Saunders.
>>
File: saundy.jpg (61KB, 440x591px) Image search: [Google]
saundy.jpg
61KB, 440x591px
>>8818567
just look at that doggo
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.