[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for help. Not actually writing this for anything in particualr.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4571.jpg (73KB, 600x969px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4571.jpg
73KB, 600x969px
Looking for help. Not actually writing this for anything in particualr. Just thinking about it.

Which is correct?

Man seeking woman [who/whom] reads books.

I know it's already a fragment... right? But still, which is correct?

Thanks in advance.
>>
whose
>>
the clause "woman who reads books" has woman as the subject who is doing something to the book, the object. So it's who.
>>
>>8814569
but the man is seeking the woman, the direct object, yes? and you use "who" to refer to the subject and "whom" for the object. so he should use "whom," so it says "man seeking woman whom reads books." that is what's correct.
>>
>>8814576
This is exactly why I was confused. I feel like it should be simple. And I'm familiar enough with who/whom to not have to think about it normally.

Does changing the sentence to "I am a man seeking a woman who/whom reads" change anything? It means the same thing, I guess. And I am more interested in the sentence in my original post.

And thank you for your help.
>>
>>8814569
Again, this is what threw me off. Still not 100% sure which is correct. But thank you for the reply.
>>
seeking woman whom i could find attractive (woman remains objective)

seeking woman who reads (woman now takes subjective form, you don't need to indicate again that woman is object apart from word order)
>>
>>8814594

No, it's simpler than that. The direct object isn't "woman"; the man is seeking a [woman who reads books]. The full subclause is the subject, just like if you wanted a red car or a glass of cold water.
>>
>>8814549
Who is this cum plum
>>
>>8814576
"woman who reads books" is a clause which is also the object of "man." Within the clause itself, though, woman

feel free to ignore my advice and look like a total retard though
>>
>old hag
Fuck off you pseud.
>>
>>8814676
that doesn't sound right to me. whom gave you that advice?
>>
>>8814676
He's actually not OP.

I appreciate the comment. Thank you.
>>
>>8814652
courtney tailor
>>
>>8814647
There it is. Yes, "who" is the only correct answer.
>>
Longpostahead,butwouldgreatlyappreciatesomeinsight.Throwawaybchusbandisonredditandknowsmyusername.Agesandsomecircumstancesshifted. Husband[32M]andI[31F]havebeentogetherfornearly8years,andmarriedfor5.Mostlyopen,healthy,happyrelationshipwithsomestrugglesmostlyovercommunicationandmorerecently,overinfertilityissues. Alittlebitofmybackground:multipleformsoftraumafromages16-21.I'vegotissues,buthavebeenintherapyforyears,andamactivelyworkingonresolvinglotsofthethingsgoingoninmyownhead.ADHD,anxietyanddepression.Intuitive,empatheticandsemi-extroverted. Husband:wasraisedCatholic,andwasschooledinanevenmorerestricted,repressedreligiousschoolsystem.Lostfaith,butstucktowantingtoremainavirgintilmarried.Iwashisfirstandonlysexualpartner.OCD,depressionandanxiety.Veryanalytical,detail-orientedandsemi-introverted. Fortheoverwhelmingmajorityofourrelationship,HusbandandIhavebeenhappilytogether.Mostlyminordisagreementsthatareresolvedinafewhoursatmost,andmaybe3majoroccurrenceswheremoreworkhasbeenrequired.Weworkasateam,areopenlyaffectionateandloving,andsupportoneanother'sgrowth.Oursexlifeisgood,butvanilla,andIbelievethere'salotmoredelvingwecoulddointermsofaligningourdesires. Imentionedcommunicationandinfertilityassomeofoursorespots.We'vebeentocouple'scounseling,andhaveworkedtogetherwellinthepastinresolvingconflictsastheyarise,butthesearenowsomemorelingering,long-termissues.Husbandhasahigh-profilepublicjobthatkeepshimbusyandawayfromhomemanynightsandweekends(maybe60%ofthetime)andnotonapredictablyroutineschedule.Ihavea9-5ishsemi-publicfacingjobatanon-profit,andhavebeenincreasinglyfindinganetworkoffriendsinmyofftime. Ultimately,thisisthepersonIlove,I'vecommittedto,andthatIunequivocallywanttoinvestinasmypartnerinlife.Iaminnowayinterestedincheating,asIfinditabhorrent. EnternewFriend[42M]aboutsevenmonthsago,awell-knownartistinoursmallishtown.Hehasbecomeamentorandguidedmeinrediscoveringmyloveofsaidart,andwehaveresonatedinaverydeepandmeaningfulway.Wehaveentirelyopenandvulnerableconversationsaboutalmosteverythingandheisveryinterestedinhelpingmeexploresomeofmypasttraumatodirectintothisart.Friendisalsosingle,VERYtalentedandquiteplainly,veryattractive.I'mVERYgoodatreadingpeople,buttherearesomethingsthatIjustcan'tplaceinsomeoftheoffhandcommentshe'smade. Some,notallexamples:Asking"Where'syourboyfriend?"whenaskingaboutHusband.HeveryexplicitlyknowsI'mmarried. AfterImadealighthearted,deprecatingcommentathisexpense:"Yep,youwouldfitrightinwithmyfamily." Onmeetingbeforeaneventofhisnearmyhome:"I'dliketoseewhereyoulive,howyouspendyourlife." GeneralflirtationandI'mfairlycertain,mutualphysicalattraction,notwithstanding. Mydilemma:I'mhavingahardtimeextricatingwhatexactlymyfeelingsareandjusthowintimateistoofarwithnewFriend,giventhatI'dliketorespectmyHusband,ourloveandourmarriage,butamdiscoveringnewaspectsaboutmyselfandfindinganewformsofhealingthroughconversationsandcreatingartwithFriend.AmIreadinghislanguageincorrectly?AmIputtingmymarriageatrisk? TL:DR-HusbandandIhavebeenhavingsomelingeringissues
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.