[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finally reading Notes from Underground. I've been avoiding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 412Z6leyPKL.jpg (19KB, 321x500px) Image search: [Google]
412Z6leyPKL.jpg
19KB, 321x500px
Finally reading Notes from Underground. I've been avoiding it out of fear for some time, knowing the general premise and the Dostoevsky's characterization of the underground man. I just started Apropos of west Snow, and there's me, on the page, staring back. It's scary, /lit/. Anyone else share this feel? What hope is there for me if I identify with the narrator 100%? I'd like to think that my persistent desire not to be like him (like me) is what will (hopefully) allow me to change. I'm optimistic, but I have my doubts.
>>
File: 1479087165731.jpg (11KB, 250x240px) Image search: [Google]
1479087165731.jpg
11KB, 250x240px
>>8814194

>But enough; I don't want to write more from "Underground."
>[The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here.]
>>
>>8814194
Considering many people in the world are similar to the narrator you will probably be fine.
>>
>>8814207

So the solution is to just stop thinking about it?
>>
>>8814316
the solution is to give yourself wholly to the christian god
>>
>>8814325

I desperately want to, but how is that anything else but a self-deception? I recognize that there's a sort of religious longing inherent in my personality, but I was raised in a secular family. Can people like this ever authentically adopt a religion?
>>
>>8814346
You can be spiritual without being religious anon. That's the truly rational way.

Samharris.jpg :^)
>>
>>8814403
Sam Harris is a fucking moron. Especially when it comes to his retarded form of """"""""""""""""spirituality"""""""""""

And before you say it, no I'm not religious.
>>
File: 1480911145022.gif (1MB, 273x322px) Image search: [Google]
1480911145022.gif
1MB, 273x322px
>>8814316
The solution is to read Ego and his Own. The underground man was caught in a paradox between his self interest and his spooky ideals. He badly needed Stirner to deconstruct his shit.
>>
>>8814194
Hold up, is P&V translation of Notes from Underground actually good?

Let's settles this thing once and for all.
>>
>>8815674
I think it's been generally accepted that whatever you decide to spend your time and/or money on is completely up to you; but from what I've gleaned from these threads, the Penguin and Oxford Russian translations are fairly competent and enjoyable, the P&V series is popular but clunky, Garnett and her enclave of revisionists and followers are pretty if a bit flawed.
>>
File: J Peterman.png (2MB, 1195x768px) Image search: [Google]
J Peterman.png
2MB, 1195x768px
>>8814346
>but how is that anything else but a self-deception
>>
File: 1481063396485.png (45KB, 1256x257px) Image search: [Google]
1481063396485.png
45KB, 1256x257px
pic related
>>
>>8814207
it continues in our diaries desu
>>
Why is this work of Dostoevsky so discussed here? Is it only that popular on /lit/ or in the West in general? Idiot is far more popular where I live than Notes from the Underground.
>>
>>8814194
Honestly. Pure shit.
No offense fag.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.