[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

my prof said that my essay was "cogent and overwrought,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 20161208_021145.png (336KB, 720x707px) Image search: [Google]
20161208_021145.png
336KB, 720x707px
my prof said that my essay was "cogent and overwrought, intellectual and sophomoric."

is this an insult or a comment of appreciation? I can't tell.

I feel that he is calling me pretentious. I can tell, because he went verbose and used similar structure with this comment to imitate me. Maybe I'm reading too much into this. Or maybe he's just as pretentious as me. I don't know. He gave me a B. So mediocre!
>>
>>8812999
Literally no one cares
>>
>>8812999
Nice trips!
>>
>>8812999
maybe ask him you fagget
>>
>>8812999
your essay was bad, your writing is bad, chin up
>>
>>8812999
Post the essay, shit for brains.
>>
>>8812999
he basically called you a faggot
>>
>>8812999
Oh, he's definitely calling you pretentious. Even without context, it seems that he's saying you put on airs of intellectualism and academic thoughtfulness in your writing but the actual result is hollow and baroque.
>>
>>8812999
Your prof sounds like an idiot.
>>
>>8812999
I think he's saying that you are smart but you went too far and floundered it around
>>
>>8813139
They sound funny, OP says it was in imitation.

>>8813141
That's my impression, maybe something as well like he used straight forward arguments, but he used a lot of them and talked about them too much for the cogent and overwrought bit.
>>
>>8812999
We need the essay to answer this.
>>
It's a mixture of praise and condemnation. Cogent and intellectual are praising the quality of your ideas and analysis, and sophomoric and overwrought indicate you overwrite the fuck out of things, assume an unnecessarily pretentious vocabulary, and need to calm the fuck down and convey the information with some grace and maturity. I use similar adjectives when I have students like you.
>>
>>8815611
Youthful Indiscretions. Everyone goes through that phrase where they think that a high word count matters. Then you learn to edit down.
>>
>>8815626
Absolutely. It's a hell of a lot better than incoherent and essentially stupid essays by students who can barely decipher plot, let alone note ambiguities or subtleties.
>>
>>8813053

wow, OP's just like me
>>
>>8812999
POST THE LINK FAGGOT OR FORGET ABOUT THIS THREAD. WHAT'S THIS SOBFEST........REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8812999
he's telling you to kys but expressed himself too subtly because he overestimated your intelligence
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.